FU2 Chassis 4 seater cage

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
Just picked up my new FU2 Chassis 4 seat cage. Couldn't be happier. The turn around from ordering to picking up the cage was 3 days. I'm no welding expert, but the welds look really good and the cage is stout. The cage gets powdercoated black on Monday. Here are some pics before powdercoat.

throwinrox

Jan 21, 2010
thanks guys. not too shabby yourselves.

my cage looks much better black. Rattle can for now ti I am done welding on it and doing a roof

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
On that 4th picture down....did he forget to weld all the way around the tube? Or is it just the way it looks in the picture

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
On that 4th picture down....did he forget to weld all the way around the tube? Or is it just the way it looks in the picture
well if you look at the discoloration of the tubing- you can tell it was welded all the way around.

but you are right- its hard to see the acual weld in that pic

FU2 has been going crazy lately building stuff for cheap.

So has BYC motorsports with their cages.

paying $1000+ for a cage was a thing of the past.

throwinrox

Jan 21, 2010
I shopped around some of the other big names and the least expensive was $1200 and up to $1600 for the same specs that I got from Jimbo. :eek:

KeepItKlean

Jan 27, 2010
No doubt FU2 is changing it up up the SXS market.
Im getting my Long Travel kit from him this month for 3500 with kings, summer bros axles and fully tig welded chromoly arms.

Hell of a deal. . . . . .

ek98

Jan 11, 2010
Jimbo made the deal even sweeter this month...

$3500 LT with kings, summer bros axles, and now includes those trick FU2 chassis rock guards!!!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I am learning all about the properties of mild steel AKA seam wall. And while it is still strong tubing it is not nearly as good nor as light a DOM. It is much cheaper in price, in some cases HALF the price which would make sense as to why fu2 is selling cages for as cheap as they are.......good for them, if your into that sort of thing....its easy to tell mild steel/seam wall from DOM by looking at the seams right down the center of the tube...attached is a pcture posted by fu2 on another site....

Attachments

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
There has been a lot of talk about DOM and HREW tubing among off-roading circles and I'll try to answer a few questions that you may have about the differences.

DOM is a process and means "drawn over mandrel". Typically you use DOM when you require precise thicknesses in the ID, OD or wall thickness of a tube. It is not seamless but is made from sheet steel, rolled and electric resistance welded and finally, "DOM'ed". DOM is a cold process. Most typically it is made from low to medium carbon steel.

HREW is cheaper than DOM, but isn't as nice. HREW has a seam weld, as does DOM, but DOM is taken a few steps further to counteract the welding and cold working abnormalities for a straighter stronger piece of tubing. But as far as strength goes for bumpers and sliders, HREW will sufficiently do the job except for applications that require extreme strength.

If I were building a purely competition rock buggy where I would be getting into areas with large drop-offs, I would probably use DOM, but for the kind of off-roading that most people do and even for the occasional rock competition, I would probably go with the HREW.

In summary, DOM is a stronger tubing material than HREW, but costs about twice as much per foot. HREW is more than sufficient for most off-road applications.

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
the question I would propse to people is if your building a roll cage, what is its purpose? Well in my opinion its purpose is to protect you and your family from harm should the worst or in some cases the inevitable happen such as a roll over accident. We are all subject to a crash, hence the reason we pay to have a cage built in the first place. Now is it worth it to save a few hundred bucks so that you can get a cheap cage built from metal that is "sufficient for most off-road applications"? Knowing what we are all subject too as off roaders I want the strongest cage possible for a good price without jeopordizing saftey. I dont want metal that is sufficient FOR MOST, I want metal that is suffecient FOR ALL off road applications. DOM or Chromoly IMHO is all that should be used unless your vehcile is not capable of reaching speeds higher than 20mph. Rusty pointed out to me that the stock cages are made of seam wall which sketches me out right there.

Then there is the weight concern. How much heavier is seam wall steel over DOM?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000