Flatbed/utility trailer opinions

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
I am in the market for a new trailer for day runs when I don't want to take the toy hauler, or it would suck towing the toying hauler...such as Miller Canyon. Yesterday I looked at Carsons, PJ's, Carry-On, and Big Tex trailers. Pricing was all over the place from $1000-2500 for a 6.5X12 trailer. Basic single axle, no brakes. Before anyone grills me on the importance of a double axle and brakes...thats something I am well aware of and have owned all types. I actually just sold my Interstate Loadrunner 6X12 double axle with brakes on both as it was about 4" too narrow at the rear doorway and 4" too short at the door for my XP. This time I am looking for a basic trailer but something that has good welds, wire routing etc. Rear gate is not needed. After looking yesterday I loved the PJ trailers but they are nearly twice as much as a Carson, but I also saw why. What opinions do you all have from personal ownership on this style trailer.

Here is what I found

Carson...you get a good trailer and what you pay for...angle iron frame, water based paint, bias ply tires, no ez lube axles, wiring sucks and needs grommets installed...but the cheapest

PJ...powder coated C channel frame, insulated wiring thats protected, spring loaded rear gate, swing away jack, bull dog hitch, flush mount led lights, radial tires

Carry-On... Same as a Carson it looked like but $200 more

Big Tex... Nice trailer..looked like a Carson but had a C channel lower frame, pipe top on the upper rail, water based paint,..somewhere between the PJ and Carson, but priced the same as the PJ

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
I have thought of going to a builder and specing out what I want...but it will surely cost more than the PJ I saw and liked. Theres no such thing as building yourself where I live... Lovely SoCal condo community with strict HOA...so you won't find anything being built or fabbed here ....even though I would love to be able to. Hell they don't even like me washing my car in my driveway.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
LMAO...Cody...its how things work here if your house was built on or around 1995 or later and is in OC. Unfortunately your option is to move away and sit on the freeway for two or three hours a day. We are close to the ocean so they are worried sbout the soap, grease run off hitting the drain and going to the ocean.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Buy the right trailer the first time man, whatever that is. Especially knowing that you can't do any fab work at home to improve it. I think you'll regret not buying what you know is best for you, I know I always do.

On a trailer like that the most important things for me are having the tongue extend back to the axle, lots of tie down spots and I like the pop in lights instead of the square Jeep types that get broke off too easily. The wiring will be cruddy, some will be less cruddy than others but you're going to wind up redoing any of them no matter what you buy.

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Jason, You need to check with my Bro in law, Todd @ HRT Motorsports. He builds some very nice trailers. I don't know where pricing would be for a small trailer but i'm sure he can quote it for you. 760-788-0019. Leave a message of they don't answer.

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I just bought a new 6.5x12 Highline trailer 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It has a 2ft. dovetail with 2ft. ramp so it cuts down on wind resistance from a full gate and adds some weight at the rear of the trailer to lower the tongue weight which is good for me because I pull it with my Jeep. I paid $1195 for the trailer with a spare tire and wheel just like whats on it.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
I ended up grabbing a Carson 6.5X12... I ordered up some 17" led tail lights and cleaned up the wiring they did and added some large D ring tie downs. I also made a nice bearing filled front caster wheel setup so it can roll around in storage smoothly. It will get the job done. Paid $1010 plus another $100 for a spare. Still going to add a tongue box and spare mount and that should do it. These little trailers are fun to customize to your need and liking.

Last edited:

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
anybody out there using the thor pak-rat as a tow rig and rv? looks like a good option. some keep popping up for sale local here.

Timmys Hat

Aug 5, 2011
Harbor Freight has the same box for $112 that I paid $260 for through Home Depot.

Seen it for less than $100 on sale.

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
That is a great looking add on box.. Im going to have to look into that.

Also I like the 17" LED break lights, what did the cost you ?

Harbor Freight has the same box for $112 that I paid $260 for through Home Depot.

Seen it for less than $100 on sale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000