All UTV's Engine Swap: Low fuel indicator

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
I posted this up on another forum, and I realized a few people here may be able to use this idea.

For the past week or so I've been trying to figure out a way to make the Rhino's stock tank fuel sending unit communicate with the R1 cluster. I realize the R1 cluster doesn't have a fuel level gauge, but it does have a low fuel "dummy" light. Well, I finally figured it out. I used this circuit
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/lowfuelindicator01.swf
but I had to modify the value of the resistors a bit. Here is a picture of the finished circuit

I spent a bit more time today organizing the components on the board.

I added a relay to the board and sealed it.

Here you can see the box tucked away neatly under the center console.

This is the fuel level I adjusted the light to come on at.

Fuel light works!

What's nice about this circuit is that as long as you're using the stock fuel tank you can trigger a low fuel light on any gauge cluster that has it. Or if your cluster doesn't have a low fuel light, then you can just mount a 12 volt LED (like the type used with car alarms) somewhere on the dash. Anyone with an R1, Hayabusa, Rotax, or any motor swap can use this , again, as long as you're using the stock fuel tank.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
wow, seems like alot of work instead of just adding a fuel gauge that is rated the same ohms as the stock sending unit.

great thing to have with a motor swap. i know i ran out a couple of times before i had my sending unit dialed in correctly.

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
Well. I wouldn't say it was a lot of work to build it. Kinda easy. The hard part was figuring out the components, mainly the resistor sizes. But now I've done all the "hard" work and can supply the parts list to anyone that wants them. It's another thing that I can say "I built," and didn't just buy online. Gives me a sense of personal satisfaction. How much is a add on fuel gauge anyway?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Well. I wouldn't say it was a lot of work to build it. Kinda easy. The hard part was figuring out the components, mainly the resistor sizes. But now I've done all the "hard" work and can supply the parts list to anyone that wants them. It's another thing that I can say "I built," and didn't just buy online. Gives me a sense of personal satisfaction. How much is a add on fuel gauge anyway?
auto meter gauges are cheap $30 and a sending unit is around $80 through Black Rhino performance. the good thig about the sending unit is no float to adjust you cut off the aluminum dip tube and you can also set the OHM rating to a dozen diferent ratings to suit your gauge.

if you are using the stock Rhino Black Rhino sells a kit for the older rhino's without a fuel gauge that uses the same stuff all packaged together. check out the link.

also look at their Blowout tab, they usually have great deals on old product or slow selling products.

BRP Fuel Level Gauge Kit - Black Rhino Performance

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
Those seem like good alternatives to building this. But I spent about $25 to build this, and it works well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000