DragonFIre Racing/Rockstar Racing Race Towards a Cure

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
] 2015 M.O.R.E. Powder Puff Race Towards A Cure

What started out as all systems go on our beloved Powder Puff race, turned into a roller coaster ride. A few days before the race a dreadful email landed in my inbox from the M.O.R.E. race director. It sadly stated that the race had been canceled due to the BLM not having enough staff to cover the event. Steps were being taken to reschedule the event for a later date. We were devastated. None of the dates that were proposed were possible for our team to make, and it looked as though we would have to miss one of the most important races of our season. Just as all hope was lost we heard that the several of the lady racers, photographers, race director and many others as well as the mayor of Barstow had worked together to get the race back on schedule! A day later than planned we loaded up our DragonFire AZ West Polaris RZR and headed to Barstow, Ca. We arrived just in time to tech the car and no time for pre running the newly marked course.

With notification of cancelation earlier in the week, my originally planned co-driver was unable to make it, so my good friend and co-driver from the 2014 Baja 1000, Dustin Hoffman, was kind enough to allow his wife, Roxanne Hoffman, to step in. Having never been in a race before, she was more than excited to take on the roughest course in the desert to help raise money for breast cancer research!

Fresh off a win in the BITD Desert Challenge, my confidence was high. My plan for this race was not only to win the side x side class but to win the overall of the 1st group! Things started out well. I passed 2 cars in front of me with little effort and as the dust cleared, we noticed that we were not on the race course! After a 7 mile detour (yes 3.5 miles out and 3.5 miles back) a spectator was kind enough to get us back on track but we were now behind the entire 1st group of cars. No problem I told Roxanne, we will just go catch ‘em! It wasn’t long until we came up on the stock VW bugs. I give those ladies a lot of credit for bouncing through the biggest whoops with no suspension. We passed them and kept on moving, weaving our way through all the 11, 3000, trucks most of the 13’s and 3 of the side x sides, the hunt was now on for the leading side x side. Knowing fellow lady racer, Kimberly Dunn, was not going to make it easy for us we pushed hard through the roughest Barstow course I have driven on! Giant whoops, sharp stutter bumps and square wash outs were testing our endurance.

Lap by lap, we were told we were reeling her in. We stopped for fuel after lap 4 and Kimberly was nowhere in sight. We pushed on passing some lapped traffic not knowing what happened to our fierce competitor. Still trying to catch the lead 13 cars in front of us, we never let up.

We finished 6 laps on the 18 mile course in 3hours 6 min. 1st in side x side, and 3rd overall in the 1st group! Roxanne did a great job for her first time ever and I had a blast chasing down every car I could!

We want to thank all our sponsors, our crew, and the entire M.O.R.E team for another superior event. It has been posted that together we have raised $25700.00 and there are still donations coming in! We are honored to have been part of it!

Special12106878_958401687567336_538150335778753307_n.jpg thanks to AO Coolers, WebCam, AZ West Allsports, Monster Seal, and Mother’s Polish for their donations to the raffle. No one walked away without a great prize!

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000