Differences in a '14 vs '15 XP1000 N/A Car?

acme

Jul 21, 2015
Based on all the brotherly love this class shows, we are looking at a few cars to get our feet wet in the UTV class.

What are the differences between a 14 vs 15 XP 1000 NA car? Clutch? Diffs? Trans? etc... Either one a better/worse choice or a bigger nightmare or more prep-cost to race?

I get the new Turbo version has a few upgraded items but how about the 14/15 NA stuff? We've heard conflicting stories supporting both and thought we'd ask those really racing...

Thanks!

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Based on all the brotherly love this class shows, we are looking at a few cars to get our feet wet in the UTV class.

What are the differences between a 14 vs 15 XP 1000 NA car? Clutch? Diffs? Trans? etc... Either one a better/worse choice or a bigger nightmare or more prep-cost to race?

I get the new Turbo version has a few upgraded items but how about the 14/15 NA stuff? We've heard conflicting stories supporting both and thought we'd ask those really racing...

Thanks!
I think.....

The 4 seat has a steeper gear ratio
and I think the axles are a looser tolerance and thicker ball cup.
Clutch housing air circulation upgrade

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
There are a few differences but I wouldnt say 1 is any better than the other. As mentioned the 15 has a little different clutch box set up. Tranny differences are from 2 seat to 4. The ECU's have a little different set up. Both our new car is for sale as well as our used car. However we are not actively trying to get rid of them.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
2 seat or 4 seat? what are you looking at? i can help shed some light on each one.

the 14 and 15 2 seat are pretty much identical with the exception of the clutch covers on the 15 is different for more cooling. and they are running a different belt in 2015

the 14 4 seater is pretty much identical to a 2 seater except its longer. same trans, same clutching, pretty much identical except for a primary spring change.

the 15 4 seater has a lower geared transmission, and different clutch weights and spring in the primary. along with the newer cover for more cooling.

if i am not mistaken the front diff is the same on all of them. plastic sprague in all of them. rear diff is the trans, and i listed above the differences.

motor is the same.

the 15 4 seater is spinning the trans ridiculously fast, because of the gear reduction. there have been multiple counts of bearing failures in the trans. i assume because the oil in the trans has to walk up the gears. and with the trans input shaft spinning a whopping 16,000RPM like it spins, is slinging the oil out away from the top of the trans and not properly lubing the bearings. which makes them run dry and get hot and burn up. i wish i had the ability to send a video from my cell phone to this site. i have some interesting video on gear oil and testing. it would shock you as to what off the shelf gear oil actually does when tested in easy tests. pretty much it sucks and doesnt lube properly like it should. the bearings at the top of the trans dont get oil cause the gear oil cant get up there and keep the trans properly lubed. spinning those kinda RPMs will sling the oil out and run the bearings dry. which is why the major teams have spent a lot of money trying to find bearings that will last under these conditions.

acme

Jul 21, 2015
2 seat, maybe a 4 if the price is right. Been racing 25 years in cars and the wife about 18-10, we sold the car in my avatar and looking to play a few times a year at certain races we want to do. Have considered a new build but until the rules are consistent for a time it doesn't make sense to us and we want to get off the sidelines and back into a decent, competitive car as the clock is ticking and unlike some I can't find the switch to keep me 49...

acme

Jul 21, 2015
Thanks, keep the info coming, you guys are answering a lot of questions re questionable info I have gotten from various sources on stock 14 vs 15 2 seater factory upgrades:

1) Supposedly 15 diffs much better?

2) 14 motor/wiring better & less smog/oddities in the comps?

3) Internal trans different/better on 15?

4) 15 hubs better?

5) 14 better milage, easier to add perf upgrades-less to deal with?

6) Clutch the same-different cover-cooling on 15?

We've only talked to people and looked at a few 2 seaters so far. PM me if you have any current, competitive cars for sale not listed. Been doing this a while: new to UTV's but not desert racing, prep/fab and not looking for hack jobs, thrashed cars on their deathbed or junk but solid, safe race builds with the correct parts to be competitive. And yes, I know I need a turbo and if someone has a ready to race, SCORE BITD legal XP1K Turbo or Mav Turbo or better yet that "ugly Yammie gearbox car that will suck w/o a turbo" for $35K, I'm your huckleberry...

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i looked up the part numbers once upon a time for all the years including the 900XP.

the 2014 and 2015 2seater have the exact same part numbers top to bottom.

i have heard thru the grapevine from a racer that claims the 2014 2 seater trans was stronger and better. part numbers show they are identical top to bottom. i cant say that i have done what some of these race teams have, and swapped multiple trans out back and forth testing on the same machine. but the parts fische tells me its the same so i can only assume its no different.

the 2015 4seater is different though. it has a gear reduction across all gears. and the clutch is the same clutch but had to be calibrated differently to be able to work properly with the gear reduction trans.

the 15 cover has an additional intake on the clutch cover to help get more air to the clutches.

the 15 belt is a 3211180 which polaris claims is their better belt.
the 14 belt is a 3211148

not sure on the hubs and axles.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
2 seat or 4 seat? what are you looking at? i can help shed some light on each one.

the 14 and 15 2 seat are pretty much identical with the exception of the clutch covers on the 15 is different for more cooling. and they are running a different belt in 2015

the 14 4 seater is pretty much identical to a 2 seater except its longer. same trans, same clutching, pretty much identical except for a primary spring change.

the 15 4 seater has a lower geared transmission, and different clutch weights and spring in the primary. along with the newer cover for more cooling.

if i am not mistaken the front diff is the same on all of them. plastic sprague in all of them. rear diff is the trans, and i listed above the differences.

motor is the same.

the 15 4 seater is spinning the trans ridiculously fast, because of the gear reduction. there have been multiple counts of bearing failures in the trans. i assume because the oil in the trans has to walk up the gears. and with the trans input shaft spinning a whopping 16,000RPM like it spins, is slinging the oil out away from the top of the trans and not properly lubing the bearings. which makes them run dry and get hot and burn up. i wish i had the ability to send a video from my cell phone to this site. i have some interesting video on gear oil and testing. it would shock you as to what off the shelf gear oil actually does when tested in easy tests. pretty much it sucks and doesnt lube properly like it should. the bearings at the top of the trans dont get oil cause the gear oil cant get up there and keep the trans properly lubed. spinning those kinda RPMs will sling the oil out and run the bearings dry. which is why the major teams have spent a lot of money trying to find bearings that will last under these conditions.

what a bunch of crap. Polaris does not look into the effects of spinning at 16k rpm? When are we as consumers going to revolt and demand our moneys worth in a 25k machine? Do the manufactures do ANY testing? why do we have to buy a uunit and then find all of the issues for them, do we get a discount? hells no! we get to pay more with each model. I guess we are the idiots for keeping the machine going,

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the vast majority of owners do not run their machine long hours at top speed. the vast majority of consumers are 30 minutes of hard riding at max. in which you cant starve or overheat the bearings in that amount of time. it takes a good bit of time at top speed to really see the effects.

polaris isnt the only one that has this probelm. not pointing any fingers...... but there is another manufacturer who has the same exact issue, with the same exact failure, in the same place, and under the same conditions. full throttle in the desert for long periods of time will show problems that dont exist under normal riding conditions.

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks, keep the info coming, you guys are answering a lot of questions re questionable info I have gotten from various sources on stock 14 vs 15 2 seater factory upgrades:

1) Supposedly 15 diffs much better?

2) 14 motor/wiring better & less smog/oddities in the comps?

3) Internal trans different/better on 15?

4) 15 hubs better?

5) 14 better milage, easier to add perf upgrades-less to deal with?

6) Clutch the same-different cover-cooling on 15?

We've only talked to people and looked at a few 2 seaters so far. PM me if you have any current, competitive cars for sale not listed. Been doing this a while: new to UTV's but not desert racing, prep/fab and not looking for hack jobs, thrashed cars on their deathbed or junk but solid, safe race builds with the correct parts to be competitive. And yes, I know I need a turbo and if someone has a ready to race, SCORE BITD legal XP1K Turbo or Mav Turbo or better yet that "ugly Yammie gearbox car that will suck w/o a turbo" for $35K, I'm your huckleberry...
the 14 and the 15 have pros and cons. Both of our cars that are for sale have changed to get rid of the cons, if you are interested and serious, talk to BigJim or I and maybe make a trip to Bakersfield if you arent too far away. We will fill you in on the goods, and would support you if you end up with one of our cars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000