Diesel fuel questions

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.
Since I am new to the diesel fuel world I thought I would ask you guys that know stuff:D (I should probably get on a diesel truck forum but I am already here an I know you guys:cool:)

Is all the #2 diesel fuel sold at gas stations "Ultra-low sulfur" ??

Is the fuel sold at truck stops the same #2 fuel ??

For the newer diesels, where do you get your "DEF" ? I have heard there are some places that have it at the pumps along with the fuel.

And lastly, any words of wisdom for a newby.... do/don't etc.

Hope you all had a good Christmas... and Thanks

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
WOW - what happens when your traveling someplace and they don't have this "DEF" diesel ;-)

Are you SOL ;-)

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.
WOW - what happens when your traveling someplace and they don't have this "DEF" diesel ;-)

Are you SOL ;-)
The DEF tank in mine is supposed to hold 2,000 to 5,000 miles worth... so not as bad as it sounds:) and I think most people carry a small supply of it just in case.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Below in red
Since I am new to the diesel fuel world I thought I would ask you guys that know stuff:D (I should probably get on a diesel truck forum but I am already here an I know you guys:cool:)

If you are in California, yes. I'm fairly certain ULSD is nationwide as well.

See above.

For the newer diesels, where do you get your "DEF" ? I have heard there are some places that have it at the pumps along with the fuel.
Some truck stops have dispensers at the pumps. Any autoparts store, truck stop, and most gas stations that sell diesel have gallon jugs for purchase.

Avoid muscle memory, meaning dont space out and put gas in your new die$el.
I did, thanks! and you're welcome. ;)

suicidejockey

LooseCannonUTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 13, 2009
Heber City, UT
Pretty much summed it up. The pilot flyingj loves petro truck stops have DEF at the pumps and is in the $2-$3 per gallon range vs in the gallon jugs which is in the $12-$15 per gallon. Just a FYI.

Itstoolate

Itstoolate
Sep 9, 2011
North Orange County, CA
Jim, FYI - DEF was mandated by Feds in 2010 for all new 2011 diesels. This year, 2014, the mandate was expanded to include all off road engines and tractors. My new Duramax regenerates about once a tank (36 gallons) which is about every 450 miles, it depends on how much idling, slow driving and freeway driving you do. Regeneration on my truck 2015, is only noticeable via an elevated idle speed (normal is 600 rpm, regen is 900). This process cleans the diesel exhaust filter and lasts about 30 miles duration in my particular truck. If you can it's cheaper and better to get DEF at a pumping station as it is consistently moved and is fresh. In an auto parts store it may sit for months. My DEF tank is 5 gallons. I have 1,000 miles on my truck and the gauge says the level is good. It will let me know when to add and give me a couple hundred miles before it gets too low. They also recommend you only add when needed so you are not mixing new and old. Hope this helps.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
You can buy DEF is larger containers than 2 1/2 gallons, I buy 5 or 15 gallons jugs from trucking supply houses like Colton Truck.
DEF in truck stops is cheaper but many times Ihave had trouble with the pumps, Loves at the Lake Havasu exit has been my trouble sport for 3 years:cool:

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Dude, you traded up? What'd ya get into? Btw, I get my def at Oreillys for pretty cheap

Feb 26, 2014
Bakersfield
Congrats on the new pickup Jim. I must admit I am a little bit jealous! They sure have gotten nice these days. I am still running my old 7.3 powerstroke till she pukes.

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.
Congrats on the new pickup Jim. I must admit I am a little bit jealous! They sure have gotten nice these days. I am still running my old 7.3 powerstroke till she pukes.
Thanks... the bad part is it has sensors and electronics on EVERYTHING these days... sometimes I wish we could go back old school and be able to actually work on stuff in a pinch... this sucker will shut down if it thinks you are looking at it wrong... :D

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
join the club. My F350 6.7 has been a good truck. I just don't have the dually. The flexing keeps the tailgate from coming open when rock crawling. Ford wanted it this way. I would hate to be in a Dodge Ram on Steel Bender and lose my tailgate...LMAO

ageekwithajeep

UTVUnderground La-Familia
Oct 13, 2010
Spokane Wa
then rebuild it, thats what I'm doing no way that i ever sell mine, i don't want sensors that will shut me down when I'm rolling down the road

Jug Bug

Sep 6, 2014
2012 Ford 6.7. We pulled about 100 lbs of scrap metal off the exhaust system and chipped it. 20 mpg at 65 mph. 15-16 mixed driving and huge increase in hp and torque. Eliminates DEF. Were in Tx we don't have Nelly trucks here. :) at least not yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000