DezertBound Racing BITD X3 build

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Has anyone seen where someone measured the wall thickness of the stock X3 cage? I know the Maverick XDS cages were A LOT thicker wall on the A-pillar then what is posted everywhere. That along with the cross section added by having 2" OD tube made those cages pretty stout for OEM.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I was wondering if this would happen. The cage rake reminded me of the Arctic Cat and I remember a few pictures of it pancaked when they first came out. I would never trust anything factory because it barley meets ROP requirements. Although this is a Dual Phase Steel, I still think anything at speed would be disastrous. I'd also worry about the lower end on hard landings in the bump stops if you only go with a top end.

Nice build BTW, this was my dream machine until Polaris lowered the Turbo 5K and I found out what they wanted for these, but I'm thoroughly satisfied with my XPT. It is a really nice factory go fast machine though.

Guys said slow rollover but I've heard that before. Either way, probably good to just upgrade the whole cage Zambo.

Gilroyboy

Nov 24, 2014
Gilroy
Through the fenders back on and did some trimming, and no the intercooler and air box will not stay there in the end haha. its just so i can take the car out and put a few miles on her. More tubes to come on the cage but short on time with my normal job so it will have to wait until thanksgiving morning

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Is that snail shell looking thing the clutch cover exhaust/hot air dump?

zambo

Nov 13, 2016
So as for the fuel cell, I assume there is going to be a standard can/bladder racing cell and it's going in the rear cage behind the engine?

Gilroyboy

Nov 24, 2014
Gilroy
Threw the car together enough to finally put some miles on her, let me just say this car is insane and handles like nothing ive ever been in. When you can drift a corner and punch the skinny pedal and the car just tracks like its on rails, thats just nuts.

zambo

Nov 13, 2016
Would love to see some more pics. Especially of how the fuel cell is going in there. I pulled the trigger on an X3 RS and figuring how to safely put more gas in this thing for prerunning is high on my to-figure-out list.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Congrats Zambo!

More fuel, spare tire, a place to store your gear & duffle bag and your ready to head to Baja.

Maybe mount a fuel cell in the bed (not my favorite over the engine) spare tire mount above the fuel cell, and with the lower profile of the X3 you could do a roof rack and not look or be too top heavy.

zambo

Nov 13, 2016
Thanks! I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but I was thinking something like this in the back with a spare and cargo on the roof.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Thanks again for the replies. I was looking the online pic of the cage and trying to see where the back unbolts. I can see the overhead tubes in the roof halo have bolt flanges.

For it to be BITD legal where did you have to cut it off? Do you just sleeve chromoly into the old cage above the dash area and tig it together? Do you leave the rear shock mounts? Or do you cut off everything above the suspension and motor mounts?

BTW I believe that when it comes to strength that tube diameter is far more important than wall thickness. In the same material I'd opine that a 1 7/8 at .083 is probably a hell of a lot stronger than 1.5 at .090. I thought in the past that BITD tubing standards were advisory rather than mandatory.

In any event I wouldn't race this thing off the showroom floor, I'm just saying that perhaps adding braces and Xs could be an easier option than chopping it all up if BITD would let you. Keep the pics coming!
I think tube diameter/thickness is an easily answered question. I tend to believe you are correct that 1.75 x .083 would be equal to or greater strength. I'm not sure why it's not an option in the spec rules as it is in some others.

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I can do the math on the tube strength if anyone cares but i guess it does not matter because of the rules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000