All UTV's CVT belt life

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I have the Maverick Max and I have run it all season with the cover off and the belts do ok.
I would say to Badassmav to make sure the cclutch over access holes in the skidplate are covered up so when bottoming out or in the deep silt beds the debris cant come up and blast the clutches. and we also made an aluminum heat shield attached to the frame and wrapped the exhaust. so you can just ditch the cover and maybe make a little scatter shield. If you run the clutch cover just use a few bolts to hold in place so your not wasting time removing the bolts and cover.:D

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I would not ditch the cover you asking for trouble in desert racing. It sound like the only thing killing the clutch is the exhaust have to reroute or get very creative way of moving a volume of air through there all the time ex huge tunnel which is a bandaid move exhaust is best solution.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I would not ditch the cover you asking for trouble in desert racing. It sound like the only thing killing the clutch is the exhaust have to reroute or get very creative way of moving a volume of air through there all the time ex huge tunnel which is a bandaid move exhaust is best solution.
Relocating the exhaust is inevitable, isn't it? If it were not for the cooling, fuel lines, and dual batteries, it would be done by now. The open "tunnel" design that was once there, has now been taken over by performance necessities. I'm looking at installing the original cooling fan at the head of the tunnel in an attempt to induce airflow once again. So many ideas, so little time.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
What about some type of scoop that ducts more air into the engine compartment or a second duct going into the CVT cover and maybe a second duct to help get the hot air out?

Commander nick

commander nick
Oct 16, 2012
Redondo Beach
If you have blowers then you are most likely restricting the airflow at speeds over 20 or 25 MPH. I have measured cfm on the stock clutches at various RPM's while in N and the amount of air that the clutch is moving is greater than that of the fan. i would recommend a scoop with a grate for the brush and junk to a large fairly open filter then into the clutch. The curved intake just leave open and the exhaust just leave open. At speed nothing can make its way back into the exhaust.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
If you have blowers then you are most likely restricting the airflow at speeds over 20 or 25 MPH. I have measured cfm on the stock clutches at various RPM's while in N and the amount of air that the clutch is moving is greater than that of the fan. i would recommend a scoop with a grate for the brush and junk to a large fairly open filter then into the clutch. The curved intake just leave open and the exhaust just leave open. At speed nothing can make its way back into the exhaust.
Yeah, I've recently been educated on that fact. Actually, "Nikal" stopped by yesterday and gave me a chart showing cfm contradictions when using inline bilge type blowers. We left the intake alone, and have a blower at the exhaust duct, in the rear of the car. Added a totally new duct blowing in and on the secondary. It's that stupid exhaust pipe location that is killing us.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
What about some type of scoop that ducts more air into the engine compartment or a second duct going into the CVT cover and maybe a second duct to help get the hot air out?
I'm afraid of the dirt and debris that a forward mounted scoop may induce. I guess we'll all find out how good (or bad) the final design we chose to go with works in a couple of weeks!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
After seeing what Reid has come up with, I think they should be OK for the 500. That is if they get another new motor! Yikes!! And after seeing how Can Am packed that Rotax in there. What a PITA to pull! You have no idea! Polaris guys have it easy!

Yes that exauhst pipe is the huge issue. Once that is moved I'm guessing the heat issue will be reduced by 40%. Also Reid's plan to move air through the tunnel is going to be a huge help.

I was impressed with some of the little details on the Badassmav build. Most things the average Joe would never look at or notice. Once again the Polaris guys have easy. Build a cage, buy an off the shelf suspension kit and your a racer! You can't do that with the Can Am! I would love to work with Reid and build the "F1" of Polaris UTV race cars. The biggest hang up is money! LOL!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
After seeing what Reid has come up with, I think they should be OK for the 500. That is if they get another new motor! Yikes!! And after seeing how Can Am packed that Rotax in there. What a PITA to pull! You have no idea! Polaris guys have it easy!

Yes that exauhst pipe is the huge issue. Once that is moved I'm guessing the heat issue will be reduced by 40%. Also Reid's plan to move air through the tunnel is going to be a huge help.

I was impressed with some of the little details on the Badassmav build. Most things the average Joe would never look at or notice. Once again the Polaris guys have easy. Build a cage, buy an off the shelf suspension kit and your a racer! You can't do that with the Can Am! I would love to work with Reid and build the "F1" of Polaris XP race cars. The biggest hang up is money! LOL!
Any of these utv's with the motor between the seats is a challenge. We started with the ole teryx and polaris IMO is the best platform available for alot of reasons. Engine placement is 1 of those reasons.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul

I was impressed with some of the little details on the Badassmav build. Most things the average Joe would never look at or notice. Once again the Polaris guys have easy. Build a cage, buy an off the shelf suspension kit and your a racer! You can't do that with the Can Am! I would love to work with Reid and build the "F1" of Polaris XP race cars. The biggest hang up is money! LOL!
Thanks for coming by, Todd. It was a pleasure to speak with you. I just wish I had more time to reminisce! Talking about racing friends from the past, like Steve Lakin and "Mad" Max Razzo, is refreshing and always gives me a boost! Sorry I had to rush you out so quick, but I'm so under the gun to get good daily progress on the Mav. We'll see you again soon, when we can break bread and chat for awhile longer.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Any of these utv's with the motor between the seats is a challenge. We started with the ole teryx and polaris IMO is the best platform available for alot of reasons. Engine placement is 1 of those reasons.
Yeah then build a chassis around the center engine platform and you just complicated the whole thing. I think there are several reasons the current Polaris is the best platform to build from. But what I'm so surprised is how many over look the rules and don't take advantage of what they say. I don't know if I've seen a car yet built that has pushed the potential of what is aloud per the rules.

IMO the reason is that 95% of the racers in this class, this is their first attempt at off road desert racing. And because the class is so new, only a few veteran racers & builders have entered the UTV class. Most think the UTV class is an entry level class, and while it started as one and still is now. It wont be in a couple of years. I say give it a few more years and you will see. What your racing today will not even come close to being competitive to what will be being built.

Think about it! 99% of the Polaris racers are buying their suspension kits from some aftermarket co. You don't buy a Jimco or Gaiser chassis and then buy a Pro Comp or RDC suspension kit. If and when companies of those caliber get into the UTV class you will see what the potential the UTV class rules really allow and where the competition level will be.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Yeah then build a chassis around the center engine platform and you just complicated the whole thing. I think there are several reasons the current Polaris is the best platform to build from. But what I'm so surprised is how many over look the rules and don't take advantage of what they say. I don't know if I've seen a car yet built that has pushed the potential of what is aloud per the rules.

IMO the reason is that 95% of the racers in this class, this is their first attempt at off road desert racing. And because the class is so new, only a few veteran racers & builders have entered the UTV class. Most think the UTV class is an entry level class, and while it started as one and still is now. It wont be in a couple of years. I say give it a few more years and you will see. What your racing today will not even come close to being competitive to what will be being built.

Think about it! 99% of the Polaris racers are buying their suspension kits from some aftermarket co. You don't buy a Jimco or Gaiser chassis and then buy a Pro Comp or RDC suspension kit. If and when companies of those caliber get into the UTV class you will see what the potential the UTV class rules really allow and where the competition level will be.
Is there more to be had from the class based off rules?? Absolutely!! But to compare offroad suspension to a pro-comp or rcd isnt apples to apples.you're trying to compare a lift kit to a performance suspension.

also since you do bring up suspension and thats what we manufacture for a living I will give my insight. I can only assume that when you say the class isn't being used to its maximum potential you are referring to the width rule of 77"s. With that said from a manufactures standpoint in a limited class you don't want to build a kit around a certain wheel and then now require a customer to use that wheel in order to meet spec. On on our xp 1000 we built a +4 long travel knowing we could go plus 5 to maximize wheel travel with a certain wheel, but the that would put some folks out of the market if they are loyal to a diff company. So we stuck with 4 over.

there is a couple of cars that are pushed to the max. One I am refering to does not perform, maybe the car isnt dialed in, or maybe its over engineered and the keep it simple rule applies

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Is there more to be had from the class based off rules?? Absolutely!! But to compare offroad suspension to a pro-comp or rcd isnt apples to apples.you're trying to compare a lift kit to a performance suspension.

also since you do bring up suspension and thats what we manufacure for a living I will give my insight. I can only assume that when you say the class isnt being used to its maximum potential you are refering to the width rule of 77"s. With that said from a manufactures standpoint in a limited class you dont want to build a kit around a certain wheel and then now require a customer to use that wheel in order to meet spec. On on our xp 1000 we built a +4 long travel knowing we could go plus 5 to maximumize wheel travel with a certain wheel, but the that would put some folks out of the market if they are loyal to a diff company. So we stuck with 4 over.

there is a couple of cars that are pushed to the max. One I am refering to does not perform, maybe the car isnt dialed in, or maybe its over engineered and the keep it simple rule applies
Your right I should not have compared Pro Comp to a real suspension kit. Maybe I should have said Total Chaos or Giant. I was just using a few popular names that people would know to get what I was saying.

As far as width, that is a small part of it, and I get unless you want to go with a custom wheel you are limited. But I assure you someone will be willing to do so for an advantage. I also get you are a manufacture of UTV suspension kits. Thus why your kit has to have limitations, and while you could build a more engineered kit you sort of paint yourself in the corner when you have to build for the masses.

What I'm talking about when I say so many rules not taken advantage of. I'm talking suspension geometry (In know you have to use stock manufactured pivot points. I also know there are a few well established teams that have been around for a long time who might have be fibbing on this rule a bit!) How many teams are just buying long travel kits and bolting them on? Most! How many have actually cycled the suspension and looked at caster, camber, wheel scrub, bump steer, shock placement, steering placement. How many have built in adjustments to some of these points? How many know why a-arm race cars use front steer vs rear steer? How many have looked at how bad the rear suspension cycles on a Polaris? How many are actually calculating weight into building their cars? How many understand sprung & unsprung weight? I know most of what I have mentioned takes money, Trust me I know! There is a reason why my racing has been sidelined for awhile now. But when I was racing these are all the places we looked. We still have our 5/1600, and to this day there are things we had done that were ahead if its time. We were out of the box thinkers, plus the people close to me were guys like Mike Julson @ Jimco, John Marking (Fox) John Cooley (Alumi Craft) Tim Lawrence (TLR) BTW I dont know if most know this, both Marking & Cooley started their carriers at Jimco Race cars. What I did is take as much as I could from TT's, Class 1, Class 10 and so on and see how to adapt that to a 5/1600 car. Then when I got to race the Jimco in house class 10 & class 1 car, I got to learn and understand more about a-arm suspension.

I read that your new car is in the 1800 lbs range. If this is true then you are on the right track. Most of these cars need to go on a diet.

Please dont take what I'm saying as putting down the class or your product. I'm not! I want nothing more then to see this class grow. I want to see this class in the 4 wheel mix and not racing with bikes. Why is it the 1600 cars are OK to race with bigger classes, yet the UTV is not? I just see so much untapped potential and have to bite my tongue at times. But like all things un-tapping that potential that can be a double edged sword too. I've also seen allot of classes get ruined over the years by someone coming in and dominating or out spending the competition. This is why I made my comment in another thread about wanting to see another manufacture besides Polaris win races and the Championships this year. Competition across the class is a good thing. It keeps the manufactures involved and keeps the class growing in a positive direction.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Your right I should not have compared Pro Comp to a real suspension kit. Maybe I should have said Total Chaos or Giant. I was just using a few popular names that people would know to get what I was saying.

As far as width, that is a small part of it, and I get unless you want to go with a custom wheel you are limited. But I assure you someone will be willing to do so for an advantage. I also get you are a manufacture of UTV suspension kits. Thus why your kit has to have limitations, and while you could build a more engineered kit you sort of paint yourself in the corner when you have to build for the masses.

What I'm talking about when I say so many rules not taken advantage of. I'm talking suspension geometry (In know you have to use stock manufactured pivot points. I also know there are a few well established teams that have been around for a long time who might have be fibbing on this rule a bit!) How many teams are just buying long travel kits and bolting them on? Most! How many have actually cycled the suspension and looked at caster, camber, wheel scrub, bump steer, shock placement, steering placement. How many have built in adjustments to some of these points? How many know why a-arm race cars use front steer vs rear steer? How many have looked at how bad the rear suspension cycles on a Polaris? How many are actually calculating weight into building their cars? How many understand sprung & unsprung weight? I know most of what I have mentioned takes money, Trust me I know! There is a reason why my racing has been sidelined for awhile now. But when I was racing these are all the places we looked. We still have our 5/1600, and to this day there are things we had done that were ahead if its time. We were out of the box thinkers, plus the people close to me were guys like Mike Julson @ Jimco, John Marking (Fox) John Cooley (Alumi Craft) Tim Lawrence (TLR) BTW I dont know if most know this, both Marking & Cooley started their carriers at Jimco Race cars. What I did is take as much as I could from TT's, Class 1, Class 10 and so on and see how to adapt that to a 5/1600 car. Then when I got to race the Jimco in house class 10 & class 1 car, I got to learn and understand more about a-arm suspension.

I read that your new car is in the 1800 lbs range. If this is true then you are on the right track. Most of these cars need to go on a diet.

Please dont take what I'm saying as putting down the class or your product. I'm not! I want nothing more then to see this class grow. I want to see this class in the 4 wheel mix and not racing with bikes. Why is it the 1600 cars are OK to race with bigger classes, yet the UTV is not? I just see so much untapped potential and have to bite my tongue at imes. But like all things un-tapping that potential that can be a double edged sword too. I've also seen allot of classes get ruined over the years by someone coming in and dominating or out spending the competition. This is why I made my comment in another thread about wanting to see another manufacture besides Polaris win races and the Championships this year. Competition across the class is a good thing. It keeps the manufactures involved and keeps the class growing in a positive direction.

I realize your not downing the class, most of the class is using off the shelf parts because its what they can get there hands on, and do it on a budget. That's Fact.

There are teams using using some of these thing you mention, just not the masses. I have personally heard it at tech....it cost how much to build this??? I had some members of Voss's team looking at our new build @ the 300... they laughed and said not much of a UTV left in there.:D

My Point is, the folks that have the money to go big...are gonna go big, and the rest are going to race a UTV that they bolted off the shelf components on.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
The class is finally changing to the point of the cars are actually finishing. Prior to last year or so, it was just matter of a utv finishing and winning. Now a ton of teams are finishing and making the class competitive

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I feel that the UTV makers are just a year away from replacing that pesky CVT drive system with a more reliable and efficient one. That's one of the reasons that I'm lagging on building our new chassis. It would suck to build an outdated brand new car! (who am I fooling. I aint got the time anyway!)

A fundamental change in the drive system will also mean the same for those racing the UTV's. 100 mph is not really entry level speeds anymore. I know Marc is getting bored with driving our slug. Not much fun to be had at 72 mph!

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Honda just came out with a 5 speed. Probably only does 50 mph but it's a step in that direction.
BTW you need to clean your pm box Reid it's full and won't accept anymore pm's.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Honda just came out with a 5 speed. Probably only does 50 mph but it's a step in that direction.
BTW you need to clean your pm box Reid it's full and won't accept anymore pm's.

Most all of them are 5 speeds. Hi,Low, Neutral, Reverse, and park. I highly doubt honda's version is any different. However I haven't really paid much attention to the media that was released today either.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Lol no 5 forward gears plus reverse and I'm sure park and neutral. It has electronic paddle shifters. It's a work horse still but there the first I've seen to use a 5 speed paddle shifted transmission. I haven't seen what there using for a clutch yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000