Commanders?

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I have been looking and reading for a while and am thinking a commander 1000 is for me but got some concerns. I would love to get a wildcat or xp but want some utility use from it. The wife likes the dumpbed for around the house and the big interior. So my question is how do these handle when a long travel kit is added? I live in the desert so that primarily where it will be. I like rock crawling and trail riding so how do they do? My can am renegade 800 takes me all the places i want to go with the visco lok rock crawling i have had it cause me grief is some situations but never not taken me where i needed to go, but i sure would like a true locker, and think the visco QE might help alot. My biggest concern is how they handle with LT kits in the desert and rock crawling. Any and all thoughts appreciated. I am kinda hoping that for 2013 they come out with a true locker and power steering but i dont want to wait another year!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Buy an XP900 for trail and fun and a Used Ranger or Mule for around the house, you'll spend less than all the MODS needed to do both with one machine! Buy a used Rhino for her they are pretty cheap!
good advice, rhinos are cheap too really, or even an old mule

if most of your time is riding vs work, then the XP wins IMO.

if you plan on more work than play the Commander would serve you well, but suspension kits will be nearly $5K probably. and I don't believe the commander has a dump bed??? maybe, not sure.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
So how does the xp respond to exhaust and stuff? How's the reliability and how does it handle abuse? What would it take to make it reliable. I have heard of bending control arms, frames and things like that. How well do they rock crawl? Also what about tow points and stuff on the rear? I know their is not a hitch so I couldn't use a multi mount winch what other options?

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
So how does the xp respond to exhaust and stuff? How's the reliability and how does it handle abuse? What would it take to make it reliable. I have heard of bending control arms, frames and things like that. How well do they rock crawl? Also what about tow points and stuff on the rear? I know their is not a hitch so I couldn't use a multi mount winch what other options?
CISCO & PAPA BEAR HAVE ROCK CRAWLED THE HECK OUT OF THEIR'S & ROG HAS BEEN TO THE DUNES & DESERT WITH HIS. I HAVE HEARD NO COMPLAINTS FROM ANY OF THEM. THE POWER & SUSPENSION HAS DONE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ASKED OF THEM.

lmcarraher

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 19, 2011
apple valley ca. 92307
they make a bolt on receiver for the xp .
you can get all the mods for a xp to beef it up at a fraction of the price of a long travel kit for a canned ham

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Well the wife likes the commander and wants that not an xp. She said I want that and then later I can get what I want. Who am I to argue about something like that. So how about it how's it gonna do?

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
By far the commanders are the most comfortable sxs on the market thats for sure. Yea the xp is a better out of the box car but you pay for that upfront. The xp is about $3500 more otd from a dealer.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
I am very happy with what my 2011 Commander 1000 XT will do stock, I would recommend getting EPS (Wicked Electronic Power Steering) and wheel spacers or long travel to make it handle way better.
The dash and feel of the seat layout are both set up very nice as you know.

I would go with a Commander X or Limited XT with the air shock system. Or maybe get XT and add the www.baddawg.com shocks. Or like we both said the beltway would be to get long travel with shocks.

The bed does work good.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
look at maintenance also.

try changing a blown belt on a commander in the dezert, right Dan? lol

There are no real defects with either one, and all SxS's are welcome in the UTVUG :D

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
I do know that lt can make a world of difference and you can tweak suspension geometry a bit for your liking while doing that mod. Maybe someone like holz or magnum dan can give you info on how there machines did after installing lt on it.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
This is a great time to buy a SXS. All the mfg are pushing hard to make improvements to their products. If you want a "utility vehicle" that is well rounded and can be used for many applications then the Commander is the best utility vehicle out there. The XP is a great machine, no doubt, but it is a sport model. It really depends on what you will be using it for. The Commander is far more comfortable, and has more room especially if your on the larger size like I am. If you put long travel on the Commaner you can make it more of a desert runner and will have a blast! Good luck with the decision!:D

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
To answer your question about how the commanders do once they have long travel, it is night and day better, just like with any car. The commander is a great platform to start from, especially if your a little more utility minded vs completely sport. In my opinion, the commanders with long travel work better suspension wise than the RZR XP's do stock. The RZR XP works the best for a stock machine by a long shot. But it isn't as good as a quality long travel with dialed in shocks for the Commander. The commander could also use a powersteering kit, as it is a little heavy on the steering side, and the long travel will make it a little tougher effort wise for slow moving stuff like rock crawling. The aftermarket long travel kits will take more abuse rock crawling than an stock XP will, as all the aftermarket kits are built a lot stronger than the factory XP suspension. Plus, the XP has long low trailing arms, and rear lower links that don't lend it perfect for crawling. So you will be dragging those parts on more stuff causing you to possibly get hung up more than you would on the same trail with a commander. The commander has a lot more safety minded stuff as well, which could be good or bad, depending on who you are. So it sounds to me, that you would be better off with a commander and long travel, than with an XP. It also sounds like the wife likes the commander too, and that usually goes a lot further in the enjoyment department than anything, because she is happy too, and much more willing to play if it was partly her idea! haha. The cool part is, you really can't go wrong with either, so if you get one vs the other, the differences are pretty small. Its not like getting a dump truck vs a race car.. You should be very happy with either choice.

Reactions: 1 person

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
You know what's funny is she really fell in love with the commander when she figured out her whole purse can fit in the glove box! Lol thanks for the help guys the commander is def the way we are gonna go! The downside is I have to wait till tax time the upside to that is I will wait and see what comes for 2013. But ur comments made me feel alot better that it's the right machine for us. Thanks, Brian!

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Why is everyone overlooking the Honda Big Red.

600cc
three speed automatic trans
about 2" travel
15mph top speed
Perhaps the most.......well......unique styling on the market!
AND no one else has one!

How did such a great company blow it so bad? Anyway..........

The commander is a great product that will only get better as the racing croud works the bugs out. I buy ANYTHING my wife wants when it comes to toys. Well, anything but a big red that is. Congrats on the green light and the big glove box.

desertdog615

Aug 30, 2011
To answer your question about how the commanders do once they have long travel, it is night and day better, just like with any car. The commander is a great platform to start from, especially if your a little more utility minded vs completely sport. In my opinion, the commanders with long travel work better suspension wise than the RZR XP's do stock. The RZR XP works the best for a stock machine by a long shot. But it isn't as good as a quality long travel with dialed in shocks for the Commander. The commander could also use a powersteering kit, as it is a little heavy on the steering side, and the long travel will make it a little tougher effort wise for slow moving stuff like rock crawling. The aftermarket long travel kits will take more abuse rock crawling than an stock XP will, as all the aftermarket kits are built a lot stronger than the factory XP suspension. Plus, the XP has long low trailing arms, and rear lower links that don't lend it perfect for crawling. So you will be dragging those parts on more stuff causing you to possibly get hung up more than you would on the same trail with a commander. The commander has a lot more safety minded stuff as well, which could be good or bad, depending on who you are. So it sounds to me, that you would be better off with a commander and long travel, than with an XP. It also sounds like the wife likes the commander too, and that usually goes a lot further in the enjoyment department than anything, because she is happy too, and much more willing to play if it was partly her idea! haha. The cool part is, you really can't go wrong with either, so if you get one vs the other, the differences are pretty small. Its not like getting a dump truck vs a race car.. You should be very happy with either choice.
X2, Well said. I have friends with both and although my friends commander has only been out to the desert 1 time. It seems impressive, so more time will really tell the whole story. From what I have seen of the XP, although very quick completely stock, it has some reliability concerns. I know not all XP's have had problems but RZR's in general seem to have some quality issues. For me at 6' 1", all the Rzr's are too small which makes them uncomfortable. In the end, it's a personal choice and a happy wife will make for a more enjoyable life experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000