Colorado springs area

Craig

Oct 7, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Any body doing any riding in Colorado Springs CO area, just moved from SOCAL and miss my big LaFamily and need to get this Rhino out and about. let me know.

Thanks Craig

Craig

Oct 7, 2010
Hey Craig, I have a friend who has 30 acres in New Mexico about 25 miles south of the 40 near Saccuro off Hwy 25. He said we can camp on his property anytime. So we could all meet there for a week in August and ride?!!!

Please someone take this guy under your wing! ;)
Thanks PB, you know have truck and trailer will travel. I am on the fence about your grand canyon trip. I might just make that. But would love to get some local riding in.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Hi Craig,
I'm not in Colorado Springs, but close to the SW corner of Colorado, do lots of riding in the San Juan Mountains Range there. If you are interested in coming down to the San Juans this summer, I can lead you on the Alpine Loop and around the Silverton/Ouray area. Lots of great mountain riding there.

I think you have Rampart Resv to go riding near Colorado Springs, but check the area out, perhaps you can be our guide when we come up there to ride.

Papa Bear, I'm 4 hours from Socorro, maybe we need to check out the riding opportunities in that area. I've never heard much about there, but might be a good place to explore in the winter when it's cold up north.

Craig, lastly, try to make it to Moab in May for Rally On The Rocks. That is the premier SXS event for trail riding. I've been there and can say, it is quite a good event. And it's a straight shot from Denver over to Green River and down to Moab for you, really not that far...

Craig

Oct 7, 2010
Thanks, I was just looking at the Alpine loop yesterday, it looks like a nice ride. so the next time you hit it give me a heads up and i will try and make plans. I am hooking up with a small group this weekend to try some spots out up here. so i will take some pictures and map it out and see what kind of stuff awaits you. Thanks for the invite.

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
Any body doing any riding in Colorado Springs CO area, just moved from SOCAL and miss my big LaFamily and need to get this Rhino out and about. let me know.

Thanks Craig
YOU MEAN YOU WANT TO SEE JUST HOW FAST THAT BAD RHINO IS. WE MISS YOU & YOUR FAMILY CRAIG. I AM SURE YOU WILL HOOK UP WITH SOME GOOD FOLKS THERE. DARRYL89 SEEMS TO BE A GOOD GUY.

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
YOU MEAN YOU WANT TO SEE JUST HOW FAST THAT BAD RHINO IS. WE MISS YOU & YOUR FAMILY CRAIG. I AM SURE YOU WILL HOOK UP WITH SOME GOOD FOLKS THERE. DARRYL89 SEEMS TO BE A GOOD GUY.
Man have I got you fooled...

I'll try to treat him good though.
Craig, my buddies and I are looking at about late July, making a Alpine Loop run. The snow will be gone off the mountain passes by then so we should have some good trails.
A good resource for you and any other Colorado guys is Bushducks - Jeep Trail and Backroads Trip Reports<BR>Colorado Jeep Trails and Passes - Opening Dates
There they have info on mountain passes and roads/trails. Many high Colorado trails and passes aren't open till late June or early July in normal to heavy snowfall years.
Example...

At any rate, if I can be of assistance with info or anything, ask. I have traveled just about every trail in SW Colorado.

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Man have I got you fooled...

I'll try to treat him good though.
Craig, my buddies and I are looking at about late July, making a Alpine Loop run. The snow will be gone off the mountain passes by then so we should have some good trails.
A good resource for you and any other Colorado guys is Bushducks - Jeep Trail and Backroads Trip Reports
Colorado Jeep Trails and Passes - Opening Dates

There they have info on mountain passes and roads/trails. Many high Colorado trails and passes aren't open till late June or early July in normal to heavy snowfall years.
Example...

At any rate, if I can be of assistance with info or anything, ask. I have traveled just about every trail in SW Colorado.
It really isn't neccesary to be nice to Craig. A night lost in the Colorado wilderness might be just the thing he needs.....

And would make a great trip report.

Sounds like Darryl may just be the right man for the job. :cool:

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
It really isn't neccesary to be nice to Craig. A night lost in the Colorado wilderness might be just the thing he needs.....

Yep, I can get people lost with the best of them...hehehe...
Actually, I used to guide mountain climbing trips in Colorado many moons ago. Still take my Boy Scout Troop up there for backpacking and climbing trips a few times every year.

Oh, Craig, make sure you have at least liability insurance on your machine, many counties in Colorado are requiring that now if you are on public land. Especially around Silverton and Ouray. And don't speed on forest roads, the forest rangers have radar now. I was coming down from Mt. Sneffels and rounded a corner. Saw a guy sitting on a yellow ATV pointing what I thought was a gun at me. I was just pushing my son down in the seat and reaching for my .357sig when I realized he had a forest service plate on the front of the ATV and then saw the gun was actually a radar gun. I stopped and told him he almost got shot because he looked just like some guy pointing a gun at me (I don't handle that well, ex-military combat vet)....LOL.

Craig, if you are into desert competiton, NMODR has some great desert races around Albuquerque (you are only 3.5-4 hours from there) too. New Mexico Off Road League

Craig

Oct 7, 2010

So that why you always tried to get me to go on those special little trips with you! anyways Melissa would miss the hell out of me.

Craig

Oct 7, 2010
Yep, I can get people lost with the best of them...hehehe...
Actually, I used to guide mountain climbing trips in Colorado many moons ago. Still take my Boy Scout Troop up there for backpacking and climbing trips a few times every year.

Oh, Craig, make sure you have at least liability insurance on your machine, many counties in Colorado are requiring that now if you are on public land. Especially around Silverton and Ouray. And don't speed on forest roads, the forest rangers have radar now. I was coming down from Mt. Sneffels and rounded a corner. Saw a guy sitting on a yellow ATV pointing what I thought was a gun at me. I was just pushing my son down in the seat and reaching for my .357sig when I realized he had a forest service plate on the front of the ATV and then saw the gun was actually a radar gun. I stopped and told him he almost got shot because he looked just like some guy pointing a gun at me (I don't handle that well, ex-military combat vet)....LOL.

Craig, if you are into desert competiton, NMODR has some great desert races around Albuquerque (you are only 3.5-4 hours from there) too. New Mexico Off Road League
I have insurance on my ride now. And i too carry a SW .357 so yes i would have done the same thing. Please keep me informed for the Alpine Loop, do you guys camp when you do this ride? i would love to do it and bring the family.

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
Hi Craig,
I'm not in Colorado Springs, but close to the SW corner of Colorado, do lots of riding in the San Juan Mountains Range there. If you are interested in coming down to the San Juans this summer, I can lead you on the Alpine Loop and around the Silverton/Ouray area. Lots of great mountain riding there.

I think you have Rampart Resv to go riding near Colorado Springs, but check the area out, perhaps you can be our guide when we come up there to ride.

Papa Bear, I'm 4 hours from Socorro, maybe we need to check out the riding opportunities in that area. I've never heard much about there, but might be a good place to explore in the winter when it's cold up north.

Craig, lastly, try to make it to Moab in May for Rally On The Rocks. That is the premier SXS event for trail riding. I've been there and can say, it is quite a good event. And it's a straight shot from Denver over to Green River and down to Moab for you, really not that far...
Can you post a coord or map of the Alpine Loop area location,
Maybe we can go and NOT take Craig ;-)

Love you Man ;-)

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I have insurance on my ride now. And i too carry a SW .357 so yes i would have done the same thing. Please keep me informed for the Alpine Loop, do you guys camp when you do this ride? i would love to do it and bring the family.
We usually drive up to Eureka (old mine site), just northeast out of Silverton. There we park the trucks and trailers, then ride up over Engineer Pass at 12800ft elevation, then down to Lake City. They have been letting us drive our UTVs into town and then stay at a hotel room overnight. The next day we leave town by another route and go over Cinnamon Pass to return to Eureka. With the little side trips, it's usually a 2 day trip. Great if you are taking your wife or girlfriend (just don't bring both :eek: ).

If you want more adventure, you can go over Hurricane or California Pass to the Ouray access side of the mountain. Lots of little trails, but it's a rough ride. Better have good suspension for this one. I don't like it cuz it shakes the beer up too much. :D
There is camping at Eureka (unimproved, no facilities).

You can also trailer to the Camp Bird Mine Road just outside of Ouray and spend a day exploring the Sneffels Area and up to Imogene Pass, but don't, I repeat don't, go over into the Telluride Basin side, the local sheriff has no qualms about writing tickets and confiscating machines there, atv's and non-street legal utv's are illegal in that county.

Map of the Alpine Loop and area...

Here is a great website for the Alpine Loop with videos of the trails...
Alpine Loop Scenic Tour Page

Transformer33

Da-Coach
Jan 30, 2011
Hey Graig hopefully we get up there for a ride soon maybe summer.I see you and Jimmy still have that desert love love for each other now i know why you guys took those night rides together and always found a way to breakdown:D

Craig

Oct 7, 2010
Hey Graig hopefully we get up there for a ride soon maybe summer.I see you and Jimmy still have that desert love love for each other now i know why you guys took those night rides together and always found a way to breakdown:D
You really have to watch him lately, last trip out he packed a Banjo and a strap on little piggy tail, he told me i had a pretty mouth and asked if i could squeel like a piggy, whats up with that that??? How the hell have you been, family good? You know your more then welcome anytime.

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
SORRY TO HIJACK THIS THREAD BUT HAVE YOU BEEN TO PSXS LATELY. IT IS A GHOST TOWN. BLUE WASN'T HAPPY KILLING THAT SITE. I JUST FOUND OUT HE BOUGHT RHINO 411. CRAIG I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE BANJO PICKER.

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
You really have to watch him lately, last trip out he packed a Banjo and a strap on little piggy tail, he told me i had a pretty mouth and asked if i could squeel like a piggy, whats up with that that??? How the hell have you been, family good? You know your more then welcome anytime.
Hey Craig, I'll forewarn ya, everyone thinks Deliverance was back east, but really, it's about Durango Colorado...
I was guiding a raft trip down the Animas and what did we see when we rounded a bend in the river....

Needless to say, we all got a bit nervous and started watching the shoreline......

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Hey Craig, I'll forewarn ya, everyone thinks Deliverance was back east, but really, it's about Durango Colorado...
I was guiding a raft trip down the Animas and what did we see when we rounded a bend in the river....

Needless to say, we all got a bit nervous and started watching the shoreline......
Cuzzin Earl !!!!

Always wondered what ever come of him........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000