cognito spindles question

txrhinoguy14

Feb 21, 2015
i bought a pair of new cognito spindles for a dealer in bakersifeld last year when I started my build and when I went to hook my tire rods I had some issues getting them on but finally did. then I was having a hard time getting the toe set. I then noticed that the spindle that I was having issues with, the trailing arm where the tire rod hooks up was at a different angle than the other. so I pulled them off to get a better look. as you will see in the pics I post that they are for sure off. so I call jim at cognito and told him my problem and he told me to send him some pics. so I did. he sent the pics to the engineer and then emailed and and said ( see pic). i feel like they are giving me the run around. i came to this site bc i know a lot of you guys race and know your shit. my question is does this look right? i understand some tolorence but not a 1/4? any help would be good. thanks

Attachments

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Several of the Cognito guys post on here, but I think with a race being this weekend you probably will not get much help until later today or Monday when everyone gets back.

IMO that is not close enough for me. If they say that is an exceptable tolerance then I would either see if they can find another right or left spindle that is closer to what you have or ask for you money back and look at another brand of spindle. You might ask if these are built 100% in a Jig or are they partialy built free hand? This might why have a large accepted tolerance, compared to a 100% jig built part.

I have never bought or built a UTV spindle, but I have bought several sets of Wright, Woods & Foddrill spindles for 1600 & 5/1600 cars and we I have never had a set that were 1/4 inch in differance.

Last edited:

txrhinoguy14

Feb 21, 2015
That's what I'm thinking too. They are made in a jig. They didn't have any to compare to see if they are all that way. Which I doubt. I'm gonna call again Monday and see if they have made any yet. I would hope they would make it right, since they are a reputable company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
Nothing but problems with the long travel kit I bought. CV's hit the A-Arms at full bump. Was given the run around. Will never buy from them again.

txrhinoguy14

Feb 21, 2015
Did they ever make it right with you. I'm running long travel also.

Whattha

Apr 21, 2014
Dude I understand that your wanting some help with your issue but no need to bump this thread an 30 mins after your last post. Someone up above already told you that the Cognito guys was at the UTV Championship. Plus it's Sunday. Be patient. They will address you.

Reactions: UTVMike24

txrhinoguy14

Feb 21, 2015
They sent me postage and I'm shipping them to them tomorrow and they are gonna put them in there jig and see if they are off and if so fix them and send back.

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
We will surely take a look when they get back here.
Regarding the Teryx suspension, we had 2 personal Teryx race cars, one short course and 1 desert, never had an issue with cv's hitting a-arms on either of those.
I still have an R1 Rhino with Cognito long travel, no suspension issues either.

Sorry for the delay, we were at the UTVWC race, getting caught up now at work. Cognito long travel suspension took 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 15th places all with no suspension issues, and all in the top 3rd of the field as i believe there were over 45 cars entered in the desert race. Bummer one of our suspension customers had a radius rod failure and a dnf. All were Polaris.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
There was a burr on the bottom of one of the spindles, so it wasn't sitting flat on the table. we knocked the burr off and clamped them down, steering arms are within a hair over 1/16" of one another.

Also, these are not new spindles, they have been hammered on as seen here.

Also, these rub marks look like maybe the axle nut wasn't tight, as the wheel bearings in the spindles seem fine. I think this might be where your toe alignment problem came from, since if the wheel hub is able to wobble relative to the spindle, then the toe setting will not be able to be held.

txrhinoguy14

Feb 21, 2015
I bought them new and may have 2 hours on them while tuning. Had hell getting them out a arm that why hammer marks are there.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
My salesman emailed you and called you with no response from you

txrhinoguy14

Feb 21, 2015
I talked to your salesman on the 6th. I gave him my address and everything. And he said he would ship them out. I think his name was Greg maybe. I called today with no answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000