Clutch/Torque Converter on DIY UTV

APowderedDonut

Nov 9, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Hi guys!

I have plans on building my own UTV soon and I've been researching everything I'll need so that I can plan it out without too much waste but I've only really been able to find one full DIY UTV (The instrucables link from Google, this is my first post so the forum won't allow me to post a link) and was wondering what the uses of the clutch and jackshaft are. I have a lot of experience with working in other parts of full cars like suspension, etc, but I do not have as much experience in drive chains or in UTV/SxS. I know what a clutch is and does for cars, but I am not entirely sure why it's needed here. My questiom is what is the difference in this, and connecting the crankshaft (output shaft from the engine) directly to the input shaft of the transaxle through a belt or chain? I guess I just cannot conceptualize why the clutch/jackshaft is necessary and if I could do without to save some time and money.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I just cannot seem to find anything on the subject. Thanks guys!

Reactions: JoeyD23

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
I am guessing you are looking at a 2wd motorcycle powered build? If so, you might want to look up SR1 cars. Weller Racing is a good place to start with that.

There are several reasons why someone might use a jackshaft. Chain tensioning easier than moving the engine or diff. Double gear reduction so you don't have to use a HUGE sprocket on the diff. A jackshaft might also be used to keep chain length short so there is not as much chain whip.

As far as the clutch, I don't understand your question. You do need a clutch to disengage the engine from the rest of the drivetrain.

APowderedDonut

Nov 9, 2016
Knoxville, TN
I am guessing you are looking at a 2wd motorcycle powered build? If so, you might want to look up SR1 cars. Weller Racing is a good place to start with that.

There are several reasons why someone might use a jackshaft. Chain tensioning easier than moving the engine or diff. Double gear reduction so you don't have to use a HUGE sprocket on the diff. A jackshaft might also be used to keep chain length short so there is not as much chain whip.

As far as the clutch, I don't understand your question. You do need a clutch to disengage the engine from the rest of the drivetrain.
Thanks for the information on the jackshaft!

I actually already have a transaxle picked out and am deciding between two engines (the website for the transaxle does not state a max HP/CC rating for it, so I want to go bigger, but I am not certain) but as for the clutch, this transaxle states that there is a clutch implemented into the diff, so I just do not know if I need to buy a separate clutch, or whether I am okay to connect the engine directly to the transaxle via chain or jackshaft assembly.

Transaxle: I still cannot post links yet, so the transaxle is "UTILITY ATV 4WD 2 SPEED TRANSAXLE 50062892" from supluscenter

Engines: Both from Harbor Freight
22 HP horizontal shaft with key ignition
13 HP horizontal shaft with pullcord ignition

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000