Cleaning your diesel engine...

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
So I have heard its not good to clean the engine the typical way on late model diesels...I currently have a 2008 Duramax and use a hudson sprayer with a Simple Green dilution, hosed off, dried with a leaf blower and finished with CD2 detailer. Today is the first day it acted funky afterwards when I started it. Weird horn honking noise... How do you clean yours or don't you. Repairs on modern diesels can get real spendy real quick and I don't want to set myself up for a huge repair bill simply from cleaning my engine.

I also have a 2004 GMC Yukon. It only has about 50000 miles on it. It has never given me a problem until mid last year when the check engine light came on (had about 37000 miles then). I read the codes and cleared them. They would return with 15 miles. There are a couple sensors on top of the engine (I forget what they are called now) that work with the fuel mileage efficiency. So I took it in and the dealer confirmed what my code reader reported. These sensors and the wiring harness to them had coroded. It was about a $800 repair. The dealer stated it was likely caused from washing my engine. The water would pool up on these sensors and corode them. This was plausible as after washing the engine, I would start it up and let it idle for about 5 minutes and then park it in the garage and perhaps the water had not dried up. I looked around online and it looks like it was a very common problem on the 4.8/5.3 Vortec engines caused from water just like the dealer said. I now am hesitant about washing the engine after desert trips because of the cost of that repair.

Last edited:

MQUnlimited

Jan 31, 2011
SoCal
www.facebook.com
I spray it down with engine degreaser, let it sit and eat up the junk...then pressure wash it down. I dont start it right away in fear that something my short out. I have an 04 GMC DMAX.

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
So I have heard its not good to clean the engine the typical way on late model diesels...I currently have a 2008 Duramax and use a hudson sprayer with a Simple Green dilution, hosed off, dried with a leaf blower and finished with CD2 detailer. Today is the first day it acted funky afterwards when I started it. Weird horn honking noise... How do you clean yours or don't you.

That honking was probably some little greenie in their hybrid POS honking at you for washing the dirt off your engine down the the city storm sewer... :eek:

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
As a diesel mechanic I wouldn't recommend power washing any electronic engine it will cause a lot of electric grim lens over time and get water were it shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
Dont have a deisel but in my tundra i just spray it with a pressure washer, simple green the hoses, then pressure wash again.

On the hoses i get close up, but on the electrical im far enough where a hard rain storm does the same. I start er up right after and do high speed runs on the fwy to dry :)

Luckily have never had an issue

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I can't remember your original question on this thread........uh, but can you send me link to your avatar :):eek::eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000