Jan 9, 2009
What do you prefer or use?

Primer?
Spray gun?
Rattle Can?
Powder Coat?
Brand of paint?
Finish? Gloss, Semi, Flat?

Share your method's, tricks and tips here.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I've used VHT roll bar spray paint and VHT epoxy paint and had great success. Covers very well, both are very durable, and available at most parts houses so if you just need to touch up an area you can run down at 830 on a friday night, pickup a can, an whamo, car looks good again :D

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
On my rock crawler I used a oil based primer and sprayed it followed by Rustolum industrial oil based paint. Its held up pretty well and is easy to touch up with a rattle can. For my new DSR1 I'm thinking more on the lines of powder coating because it shouldn't get near the amount of rock abuse.

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
CAT black. we did a linked 1450 rear cage from back of the cab to bumper with 3 cans. its CAT diesel frame paint in spray paint cans. you can buy it at the CAT dealer.

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Rusty, like everything else, the more you are willing to pay, the better the product.

BEST: powder coating, most durible, highest price but coming down. I won't even shoot car and truck chassis anymore. My powder coater will coat a frame for $250. I have my sand blaster blast it and I load it and take it to him. I can't even buy the paint & primer material for that with shop discount.

GOOD: Emron from DuPont, most durable paint out there but if you use it, make sure you have a fresh air helmet or a 3M respirator with VERY GOOD ventilation, Stuff is tough as nails but tough on your lungs and brain if you are inhaling it.

WORST: Anything rattle can! Don't even waste your time or money. Product must be at least a 2 part system with catlyst to be anything near durable. Do it once and be done with it! Hope this helps

nbk9nbk

Jun 26, 2013
CAT black. we did a linked 1450 rear cage from back of the cab to bumper with 3 cans. its CAT diesel frame paint in spray paint cans. you can buy it at the CAT dealer.
Is this available in ca, heard a lot about jhon Deere blitz black but it is not available for use in ca. Dose it come in gloss , satin or flat?:confused:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
When powder coating isnt an option.I've been using the paint for plastics from rustolium.Its a spray paint with a adhesion promoter.It sticks like crazy,and doesnt need a primer,and comes in a lot of differant colors,and sheens.Seems to go on smoother,and doesnt peal or scratch easy.Its better then all the other spray cans I've tried.

nbk9nbk

Jun 26, 2013
When powder coating isnt an option.I've been using the paint for plastics from rustolium.Its a spray paint with a adhesion promoter.It sticks like crazy,and doesnt need a primer,and comes in a lot of differant colors,and sheens.Seems to go on smoother,and doesnt peal or scratch easy.Its better then all the other spray cans I've tried.
Have used vht roll bar paint as a comparison? I just tryed this on a roll cage it dosent seem to go far at 8.50 a can and pepboys only carries 2 cans at a time:(

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
Have used vht roll bar paint as a comparison? I just tryed this on a roll cage it dosent seem to go far at 8.50 a can and pepboys only carries 2 cans at a time:(

$8.50?Its only 7 bucks here(at auto zone),not that thats cheap,but in the grand scheme of things under thirty bucks to do a roll cage aint too bad!imo.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Second vote for POR-15.

That stuff is amazingly durable and you can grind it off to make changes to the car if necessary. Paint on some more and you will never know. A little pricy but I prefer it over powder all day long.

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
I will have to give this a try I have used it on plastic but never on any other material. I have been thinking about doin the a arms on my rhino white so I may have to give this a shot

nbk9nbk

Jun 26, 2013
$8.50?Its only 7 bucks here(at auto zone),not that thats cheap,but in the grand scheme of things under thirty bucks to do a roll cage aint too bad!imo.

It took me at the Very least 10 cans of vht to paint my cage and that was thin IMO but mine is probally WAY Bigger than yours:cool:

I am still not happy with it scratched easy and rubbed off easy on heavy use spots...Also everything costs more in socal. Its almost 9.00@ autozone here. I was pressed for paint before a pismo trip or I would have imported some auto satain black paint and done it right..
I will post if it lasts better:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000