Changing a bathroom from Tub to regular stand up

Class51600

Familia 1st - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Oct 22, 2010
Murrieta, CA
Guys I have a quick question, how hard is it to change the bathroom, we have tub and hate that so I would like to put a regular bottom where one stand up nicely. Any advice has anyone done it?

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
It's not to hard just a little pluming for the shower head and valve. Then you will need to build the base and place the drain. Have the base all hot mopped. The most expensive part is going to be glass doors and depending on what tile you use. Just do your homework on placing the drain the water flows to it and building the base structure. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
place the drain where you are not standing on it while showering. also put the shower head up high.

its not too hard you just need to know how to sweat copper pipe. you might find a drop in fiberglass pan that fits your framing perfect, then you will not have to make a base. if you do use a fiberglass base make sure you put some grout under it when you set it. this will prevent creaking while standing in it.

hep

Kawasaki Teryx Expert - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 8, 2009
You are smart to research. Research everything ALOT!

I did the same thing but almost didn't because of all the horror stories of doing it wrong, water seeping under something and destroying walls, molding or worse.

I see you're in california so I assume you have a concrete slab? Most commonly you would have a concrete guy come in to create your base (slope has to be to code), and the "curb" where the door goes. Then you have a different guy come in to hot mop the floor. Then figure out how to seal the walls (tile and just about everything else is porous). Plumbing comes in the middle somewhere, then tile, then doors, finish work, etc., etc., etc., ETC.!!

I just about gave up until I found this "kit": Schluter-KERDI-SHOWER-KIT - Schluter-Systems

It's still a very time consuming job but every single step I was comfortable doing myself and it turned out pretty awsome.

I'm not related in any way to the company.

Plan on going over budget by at least 50% and double the time you think it will take.

tim07

Aug 3, 2009
Chandler ,az
The schluter shower system is very easy to use, and there is detailed instruction in the kit. I sell these kits almost everyday,and almost anyone can install one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000