Yamaha CAM OR NO CAM

family wagon

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
Well im looking into throwing a cam in my rhino but wondering if its worth my time and money. I have a internal stock 660 with boltons like bored out carb, protec intake, dynatek cdi and sheave with diff rollers and and orange spring. Im going back to a stock exhaust but I want to get a cam, so my quest is what is the best cam to buy and where to buy it at ? I have been told to get the stage 2 hotcam but wondering if i do get it will the motor still be reliable or will I have to do other stuff why im in there to keep it reliable, or just should I leave it the way it is ?

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
if you even do a stage one hot cam you need to at least upgrade to better springs and retainers. id go with hardweld rockers too.

family wagon

Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
I was told I have to change the intake spring but I should change them all out ? I would like any input cause I have no idea about cams at all but have heard they might give me alil more power well that is without tearing into chit to much. I think there are diff springs so which springs should I use ??? Or a better quest what shop would be willing to help explain it and knows whaqt there talking about

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
i have built several benchmark head motors, besides the numerous times ive built our motor through development and failures. most use the webcam spring and retainer kit, which i believe is kibblewhite. i ended up using the kibblewhite retainers with different springs from r/d spring. we had a floating issue so i needed different springs, but that was with the big benchmark spec web cam. as far as performance, the more fuel you can ignite and expell the better but you still have to get it in and out effiiciently through the intake, ports and exhaust.

family wagon

Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
I assume that since I have a stock bottom end that I dont need to get crazy with stiff springs....I have been told to run the stage 2 mudbuster cam and throw in raptor valve springs.....this is getting o be a pain but in the end hoping while worth it in the end

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
I assume that since I have a stock bottom end that I dont need to get crazy with stiff springs....I have been told to run the stage 2 mudbuster cam and throw in raptor valve springs.....this is getting o be a pain but in the end hoping while worth it in the end
You can do just Raptor springs with that cam. However, most of us end up doing more, and more, and more, etc. You get the idea. Instead of buying springs twice, just buy the good ones now. That way, if you want to upgrade your engine later, you already have the good spring kit with Titanium retainers.
And yes, definitely do a cam. Of course, I recommend Web cams.

shonuff

"Kiss My Converse" - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
murrieta
You can do just Raptor springs with that cam. However, most of us end up doing more, and more, and more, etc. You get the idea. Instead of buying springs twice, just buy the good ones now. That way, if you want to upgrade your engine later, you already have the good spring kit with Titanium retainers.
And yes, definitely do a cam. Of course, I recommend Web cams.
tru dat!!!

seems like im taking my head off every other trip to do more work, dont make no damn sense!

family wagon do yourself a favor and give chris @ benchmark a call, you will be happy you did.

family wagon

Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
tru dat!!!

seems like im taking my head off every other trip to do more work, dont make no damn sense!

family wagon do yourself a favor and give chris @ benchmark a call, you will be happy you did.
I have been talking to him on here I have been just trying to soak up all info I can get from the sites. I never knew this stuff can make someones head spin like mine is LOL

I thank everyone that has taken the time to help me out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000