Bumper & Cage Tubing?

ravencr

20X RZR - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 8, 2009
NC
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be doing a little recreational racing again after many years of not doing it. I'm just curious what size and thickness tubing is most common for bumpers assuming there might be the normal amount of bumping? Also, I'm wondering the same thing about roll cages. Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
1.5 diameter. 095 thickness chromoly or DOM I believe is what the race organizations are looking for. You may want to check the rules for whatever series you're interested in.

ravencr

Feb 8, 2009
NC
Yeah, I know that's the minimum, but I'm wondering what actually people are running that's holding up to bump passes etc?

Chris

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Thats what I have always run in chromoly but I am sure others will chime in.

ravencr

Feb 8, 2009
NC
Hey Kevin, I've been out of the industry for quite a while. I've got a Ranger XP900 we use in our business and for fun, and I just bought the new ACE 900xc. My little guy has a Polaris Outlaw 50, so we still ride...just not been on the forums much. I'm going to start racing the ACE for fun in Iowa at the http://www.iatvhss.com series. You still out in CA?

I just want some minimal bumpers that will withstand some bumps occasionally and just curious if .095 is stout enough or if I should go up to .120 wall dom or chromoly?

Chris

Hey Kevin, I've been out of the industry for quite a while. I've got a Ranger XP900 we use in our business and for fun, and I just bought the new ACE 900xc. My little guy has a Polaris Outlaw 50, so we still ride...just not been on the forums much. I'm going to start racing the ACE for fun in Iowa at the http://www.iatvhss.com series. You still out in CA?

I just want some minimal bumpers that will withstand some bumps occasionally and just curious if .095 is stout enough or if I should go up to .120 wall dom or chromoly?

Chris
You can use 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 D.O.M .095 for for bumper, Racing organization don't typically Require any sizing on that and it plenty strong, Just make the bumper an average height and size so you hit bumpers not body panels. Also make sure the bumper has no open ends to get hung up.
As far as the Cage
1 3/4 D.O.M for the main Rails of the cage is good. you can do the doors typically out of 1 1/2 D.O.M .095 this also depends on weight of vehicle in some races series.
If you are looking for weight and want to race pro and take it seriously and do not mind spending the money
1 1/2 >.095 Chromoly can save weight if you use a lot of tubing in the cage. If you don't use a lot then just build it out of the D.O.M

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Ive been bending 095 bumpers and nerfs but like stated above I would rather bend those than the chassis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000