All UTV's Broke my Gear One hubs

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
That sux , but your probably lucky it was the rear and not the front and being on the lake bed it was probably a easy load up. Glad your ok.

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
That sux , but your probably lucky it was the rear and not the front and being on the lake bed it was probably a easy load up. Glad your ok.
Definitely LUCKY it wasn't the front. That could have been a bad crash. I was able to drive the trailer to the exact spot where the Rhino was. We jacked the lower a arm up with some ratchet straps and drove it on the trailer under its own power.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Anyone that runs gear one rear uprights on a SR1, the chances of this failure can be redueced considerably by;

1. Regular inspection/tightening the bolts.
The two bolts that are recessed where the break is in the picture come loose. Once loose the ear bends then breaks off. If you can insert a buisness card between the two halves before its broken its time to replace them.

2. With the rotor removed you can drill, tap, and countersink a bolt into oppisite side to reinforce the weak spot between the two counter sunk holes where the ear breaks off. See the guys at XMF for more help with this.

3. Buy Wellers rear uprights.

We raced the Gear One set up for three years and never had one failure and we didnt even do the XMF trick. Greased the bearings twice a year and checked the bolts before every race.They're good stuff, just require regular maintenence.

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
Thanks for all the info. I'll call XMF and see if they're willing to share their tricks. I had the Weller hubs but I needed outboard brakes, so I had to take this route. The two counter sunk bolts were really tight. I'm thinking of TIG welding some extra bracing on the uprights. Has anyone done this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000