BITD weight and teardown

smiller

Jun 28, 2012
i just want to know what did coastal weigh. and would like to know what others did to. Stupid question lets just say another person was building a new car for the mint would weight matter. hint hint maverick.
You should not need to know what anyone else weighs to build a car. Your goal should be to build a LEGAL car that is lightest you can.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
i just want to know what did coastal weigh. and would like to know what others did to. Stupid question lets just say another person was building a new car for the mint would weight matter. hint hint maverick.
I heard they wouldn't let anyone see the scale results.... But someone on here said 320 less then jagged so that would put them in the 1600 pound range.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I heard they wouldn't let anyone see the scale results.... But someone on here said 320 less then jagged so that would put them in the 1600 pound range.
there where only a couple of cars that were weighed that wasn't there for everyone to see. I looked when I was in the general area...as did most everyone else. Our Commander was the big fat pig of the group at over 2100 lbs..(but with a full tank, 2 15" spares, tools etc..) Krigers was just over 1600 as previously stated, (a lot less weight and a whole lot more hp) seemed most I saw were in the mid 1800-1900 range. We are aiming for the 1600 range for our Maverick build... The general conscientious is that's doable if we are fastidious about weight and still be legal and more importantly safe.

Reactions: 1 person

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Nobody kept anything a secret. Kiger weighed 1655 or so. Jagged was within 10 pounds with both cars around 1975.

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
WOW, i thought my 2 seater was a pig at 1560 lbs. factory tires and wheels though and only 1 spare. i feel a little better now LOL

rzr 1930

Sep 14, 2010
Well said Joey. I think HDRA is really cool in and in several years it will likely be legit. The whole World Championship thing is very compelling. But when to top finishers at the South Point Vegas 250 were back markers in BITD last year and there were only a total of 6 UTV's in this race, you really can't claim HDRA is 'where it is (at).'
My thoughts on the weight thing, is that it should have been optional just like it was at the 2012 Parker 250 last year. Cory has put heart and soul into BITD UTV racing and his hard work is paying off. I get the conflict of interest thing, but until he is winning on a consistant basis, it really is a mute point (no disrespect Cory).
I do think that tire/wheel combo has a big impact. Light truck tires are butt heavy, and that is why I started a thread a year ago seeing if someone would build a hybrid LT/UTV tire. I am guessing 5 30" LT tires versus say Big Horns would be a difference of approximately 75 lbs. Also the delta between our car full and empty is 132 lbs. That is a lot! Plus it is funny when people bitch about vehicle weight then you see one driver getting into the car weighing 160 lbs and the next guy getting in his car weighs 260.
What a class act!

tjof1959

Team Jean Racing
Jun 3, 2011
Clearly we should be building cars that are as light as possible BUT we should not be sacrificing safety for weight in our builds. I believe that UTVRA would be better suited to tell the racers before they get to the race that certain items may posibbly be checked, like weight, and racers will think twice IF they were thinking about doing something stupid like sacrificing safety for weight.

I think the bigger question is motors and that fact that some motors are only available to a select few which creates an unfair advantage. The motor does not need to be torn down to check CC, which is our only real limit by the way, this can be done in 5 minutes by simply pulling the spark plug.

tjof1959

Team Jean Racing
Jun 3, 2011
HDRA looks to be a good series but 6 cars and 4 races per year is hardly where it's at, at this point. If there were 60 built race UTVs racing in the desert consistently then things would be different. Unfortunately today their isn't enough to sustain 2 full championship type series. Until then, for UTVs, BITD is the premier series with the most competition and exposure.
Joey, lets hold off on the BITD has the most exposure comment until we see the NBC Sports show for this last HDRA race. If Norman holds to his word there should be a lot more coverage for UTV's than was seen a couple of weeks ago on SPEED...but we will see.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey, lets hold off on the BITD has the most exposure comment until we see the NBC Sports show for this last HDRA race. If Norman holds to his word there should be a lot more coverage for UTV's than was seen a couple of weeks ago on SPEED...but we will see.
What you saw on SPEED a couple weeks ago was the MOST UTV desert race coverage ever seen on TV so I would hope that racers would be pretty happy about that and not just throw it into the guys faces who worked hard to get what we could onto the show. The iTunes download of the Mint is extended and shows even more UTV coverage.

The Mint 400 TV show is the most widely watched, most popular, and most well done off-road racing production made, so to see UTV's even included for 3-5 minutes is pretty powerful stuff. This coverage for UTV's will be expanded even more this year with the Mint show with possible talks of a full UTV download version of the show!!! The Mint show was premiered at both the Off-Road Expo and Camp RZR infront of hundreds. It will be downloaded tens of thousands of times and will be watched by hundreds of thousands on television on the SPEED Channel which is the PREMIER channel for motorsports television content. Not to mention Mad Media will burn thousands of DVDs to be given away! The good news for 2013 is this years show will air only a month or 2 after the race occurs in March!!!

For the record, I want to make it clear so that it is not confused that I am not against HDRA, matter of fact I am very much for it and met with Roger Norman at his facility months ago just before the Parker BWDC race to discuss how UTVUnderground could be more involved. I thank the Shaw's for bringing Roger and I together. Roger explained to me that he views UTVs as a very important class in his series and so for that I am very appreciative. It is my job to help ANYONE and ANY SERIES out there that wishes to include UTVs. With that said, I am also very cautious as the last thing we need to do is split all car counts up between a bunch of series so that we end up with puny car counts everywhere. No one wants to race against 3 other people. What has drawn attention to our class is the fact that car counts have grown tremendously at BITD over the past few years, I would hate to see that reversed. I want to see our sport GROW, not DIVIDE itself. The good news is that HDRA is only 4 races and I think that this first race is the only race that was stacked directly on top of a BITD race so I think some BITD racers could go try both series and visa versa.

With all that said, until this season ending NBC deal actually happens I think its accurate to say that BITD CURRENTLY offers more exposure for UTV racers and their sponsors. I hope to personally make a few HDRA races so that I can be on the scene and report a story, photos, and maybe some video. I want to do this not just to show the series love but more importantly to show you who race the HDRA love. That is what it is all about for me and this site.

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
What you saw on SPEED a couple weeks ago was the MOST UTV desert race coverage ever seen on TV so I would hope that racers would be pretty happy about that and not just throw it into the guys faces who worked hard to get what we could onto the show. The iTunes download of the Mint is extended and shows even more UTV coverage.

The Mint 400 TV show is the most widely watched, most popular, and most well done off-road racing production made, so to see UTV's even included for 3-5 minutes is pretty powerful stuff. This coverage for UTV's will be expanded even more this year with the Mint show with possible talks of a full UTV download version of the show!!! The Mint show was premiered at both the Off-Road Expo and Camp RZR infront of hundreds. It will be downloaded tens of thousands of times and will be watched by hundreds of thousands on television on the SPEED Channel which is the PREMIER channel for motorsports television content. Not to mention Mad Media will burn thousands of DVDs to be given away! The good news for 2013 is this years show will air only a month or 2 after the race occurs in March!!!

For the record, I want to make it clear so that it is not confused that I am not against HDRA, matter of fact I am very much for it and met with Roger Norman at his facility months ago just before the Parker BWDC race to discuss how UTVUnderground could be more involved. I thank the Shaw's for bringing Roger and I together. Roger explained to me that he views UTVs as a very important class in his series and so for that I am very appreciative. It is my job to help ANYONE and ANY SERIES out there that wishes to include UTVs. With that said, I am also very cautious as the last thing we need to do is split all car counts up between a bunch of series so that we end up with puny car counts everywhere. No one wants to race against 3 other people. What has drawn attention to our class is the fact that car counts have grown tremendously at BITD over the past few years, I would hate to see that reversed. I want to see our sport GROW, not DIVIDE itself. The good news is that HDRA is only 4 races and I think that this first race is the only race that was stacked directly on top of a BITD race so I think some BITD racers could go try both series and visa versa.

With all that said, until this season ending NBC deal actually happens I think its accurate to say that BITD CURRENTLY offers more exposure for UTV racers and their sponsors. I hope to personally make a few HDRA races so that I can be on the scene and report a story, photos, and maybe some video. I want to do this not just to show the series love but more importantly to show you who race the HDRA love. That is what it is all about for me and this site.
Hey Joey If you want we can meet in Chula Vista and I can take you to lunch and dinner at his Mom's two restaurant's. Roger Norman's mom that is....LOL

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Thats a powerful statement... Who gets "special" motors no one else can get/buy??
thats funny you can buy all of kroyer motors stuff but you just have to tune it your self polaris has spent there own time on there own ECU there not going to give that away. thats why we went with Queen racing he will do it from beging to end.and yes he can break into the ECU to

tjof1959

Team Jean Racing
Jun 3, 2011
My understanding was that Kroyer was not making there motor up grades available to the public...if it is available then I retract my statement.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
My understanding was that Kroyer was not making there motor up grades available to the public...if it is available then I retract my statement.
your kind of correct. kroyer has all the stuff but they dont have the programmer/ ecu available so they wont release the motor stuff because they dont want someone srewing it up. so kind of right but kind of not. i know rj lucas car had to motech system on to run it.

tjof1959

Team Jean Racing
Jun 3, 2011
your kind of correct. kroyer has all the stuff but they dont have the programmer/ ecu available so they wont release the motor stuff because they dont want someone srewing it up. so kind of right but kind of not. i know rj lucas car had to motech system on to run it.
Muzzy has all the stuff but no ECU yet theirs is available to the public. Either the Kroyer is available or it is not...I was told it wasn't. I am not trying to argue, but my opinion is that only OEM parts should be allowed to be used in order to keep the class as even as possible. I would hope we would have learned the lesson that was taught in the LOORS series.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
The Kroyer stuff is available, but the ECU remains an issue.

Short course and desert racing are apples and oranges. If people here think they are getting beat by horsepower then they are crazy. Bill Schueler, who spots most racers 100 lbs took a stock RZR 4...stock engine, stock suspension and even stock tires for half of the season and whooped 2/3rds of the field. Why, good driving! In 2011 I raced an 800 with 72 hp against three Commander 1000's and one XP 900 (plus one at the end of the year) and we did ok.

The Kroyer motor is certainly fun and has proven to be bulletproof, but horsepower will cause stress on other areas such as clutch, gearcase, CV's, axles, etc. Plus you just hit chit harder. Top speed between a stocker and our car is within 3 mph.

Plus if you think tech is hard now, try and police a 'stock parts' rule. Practice more, test more and don't build a pig. Leave well enough alone and let's go racing. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000