BITD weight and teardown

smiller

Jun 28, 2012
i didnt want to weigh my car either but i was told we had to. but cory reason was to maybe start a weight rule/ seperate class because of weight. all i asked was to post everybody weight so it is public so we dont have a pissing war.but he told me know it was for the utvra data. on the motor thing he does have the right to tear down anybody motor at the end of the race, that is a BITD rule when you have cc rule. Not to defend CORY but he totally could flip the scale thing. because he was checking tube size for weght of car 2000lbs needs 1 3/4, 2000lbs below 1 1/2 tubing.
I do not understand why would they separate a class because of weight. That goes back to who can build a LEGAL but light car. These UTVs are not much different in weight from the factory. Yes the 4 seaters weight more but the wheel base you gain is the advantage they are looking for and if they are not concidering the extra weight then that builder is over looking an important detail for a race car.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
i didnt want to weigh my car either but i was told we had to. but cory reason was to maybe start a weight rule/ seperate class because of weight. all i asked was to post everybody weight so it is public so we dont have a pissing war.but he told me know it was for the utvra data. on the motor thing he does have the right to tear down anybody motor at the end of the race, that is a BITD rule when you have cc rule. Not to defend CORY but he totally could flip the scale thing. because he was checking tube size for weght of car 2000lbs needs 1 3/4, 2000lbs below 1 1/2 tubing.
Great point on the tubing diameter vs the weight Rito. That ads a lot of sense as well. Not just the tube wall thickness but actual tube size.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Hmm, where have I heard this before??? Great job Justin! HDRA is where its at.
HDRA looks to be a good series but 6 cars and 4 races per year is hardly where it's at, at this point. If there were 60 built race UTVs racing in the desert consistently then things would be different. Unfortunately today their isn't enough to sustain 2 full championship type series. Until then, for UTVs, BITD is the premier series with the most competition and exposure.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
HDRA looks to be a good series but 6 cars and 4 races per year is hardly where it's at, at this point. If there were 60 built race UTVs racing in the desert consistently then things would be different. Unfortunately today their isn't enough to sustain 2 full championship type series. Until then, for UTVs, BITD is the premier series with the most competition and exposure.
Well said Joey. I think HDRA is really cool in and in several years it will likely be legit. The whole World Championship thing is very compelling. But when to top finishers at the South Point Vegas 250 were back markers in BITD last year and there were only a total of 6 UTV's in this race, you really can't claim HDRA is 'where it is (at).'
My thoughts on the weight thing, is that it should have been optional just like it was at the 2012 Parker 250 last year. Cory has put heart and soul into BITD UTV racing and his hard work is paying off. I get the conflict of interest thing, but until he is winning on a consistant basis, it really is a mute point (no disrespect Cory).
I do think that tire/wheel combo has a big impact. Light truck tires are butt heavy, and that is why I started a thread a year ago seeing if someone would build a hybrid LT/UTV tire. I am guessing 5 30" LT tires versus say Big Horns would be a difference of approximately 75 lbs. Also the delta between our car full and empty is 132 lbs. That is a lot! Plus it is funny when people bitch about vehicle weight then you see one driver getting into the car weighing 160 lbs and the next guy getting in his car weighs 260.

HUBB

Mar 14, 2011
ARE WE IN NASCAR AND U ARE NOT MAKEING A DIME SO WHAT THE HEY NO CRY BABYS :D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::D:D:D

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
I personally don't understand why you guys wouldn't want to weigh your cars. I for one would be proud if my car was 200-300 pounds less then the next guy, as long as you followed the rules. I mean come on guys if someone blows by you on the course it's because one of 2 things he has more power or is lighter then you. Like Joey said there are some many little things that can add weight to a car and when you take into consideration every single little thing it will pay off on the scales. Holz is the best at building light cars and it shows on the course. Brian's car (1938) weighed in at 1985#, that car is a garage built 2 seat XP and weighed 10 pounds more then jaggeds 4 seater. Now looking at some of the other cars I can see where we could have saved some weight. I think we did good on the cage but missed it on the body and suspension. One place where we did it want to cut corners was the cage a few extra pounds in the right places can save lives! As far as Cory is concerned I like the guy and don't have any problems with him or racing him........Let the DRAMA continue....LOL

HUBB

Mar 14, 2011
IN MOST RACEING THE TECH PERSON IS NOT A RACER I DONT GET THE GUY PUTTING THE RACE ON IS TECHING THE CAR I DONT NO OF A NOTHER RACEING ORG THAT DOSE THAT Y DO ALL OF U GUY THAT ARE RACEING LET THAT GO ????????

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
FWIW, I don't look at a discussion like this as drama. I look at it as the nature of the beast. This is healthy discussion surrounding the fastest growing class in off road racing. The class is still young and it's going to take time to fine tune it.

Cory is not dumb, he knows what it takes to keep racing fair. There are some awkward situations however with him being tech guy and competitor but in the end with that set aside you will be hard pressed to find another guy in this class who cares as much about it. I guarantee there are a lot of guys who complain but that given the chance to takeover would wallow and hide. Others would take it on and maybe do a terrible job. At least be thankful we have a guy like Cory who knows the class and understands a UTV teching these cars. It could be wayyyy worse.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
IN MOST RACEING THE TECH PERSON IS NOT A RACER I DONT GET THE GUY PUTTING THE RACE ON IS TECHING THE CAR I DONT NO OF A NOTHER RACEING ORG THAT DOSE THAT Y DO ALL OF U GUY THAT ARE RACEING LET THAT GO ????????
If you knew Cory and how much he loves he sport you would understand. He is the grandfather of UTV racing and will always race and I for one love that about the guy. If he was out there winning every race and was a total dickhead to every other racer then yeah get him outa there. I have never had an issue with him and he has always been helpful.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
If you knew Cory and how much he loves he sport you would understand. He is the grandfather of UTV racing and will always race and I for one love that about the guy. If he was out there winning every race and was a total dickhead to every other racer then yeah get him outa there. I have never had an issue with him and he has always been helpful.
Well said Jeff! :)

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know Cory on a personal level, i see his dedication and admire that. I have no personal issue with him. When i don't get a legit answer about scaling a car, there is a red flag that pops up in my head. If he had the right answers for me, i would have let him scale my car. My car weight is no secret, it was the principals involved.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
I don't know Cory on a personal level, i see his dedication and admire that. I have no personal issue with him. When i don't get a legit answer about scaling a car, there is a red flag that pops up in my head. If he had the right answers for me, i would have let him scale my car. My car weight is no secret, it was the principals involved.
I don't know him personally either, he says we need to weigh your car we let him..... I guess I don't have any reason to not trust him. Anyway you have your reasons and I can respect that. But sometimes it's better not not sweat the small stuff, the UTVRA isn't perfect but who or what is??? Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000