BITD/UTVRA 2011 rules update

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Saying that ccs (more power) dosent win you races is not an accurate statement. It used to be just getting to the finishline would almost allways get you a top 3. You do need power to be able to compete with the top teams. Jagged X didnt do as well as they would have liked at the last race due to the lack of power, and that came from them. Power hasnt been a factor in the past with the old rules but with the new rules it will be a BIG factor.

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
Big guy, sir you are right it will be an edge for the guy with a bigger motor. but it has the potential to also be a curse. I think we will find out soon enough, but in my opinion sir, its still not the biggest factor . one half of racing the desert is in fact other competitors but the other factor which i personally believe is the biggest factor , is you have to race the desert first.
i have raced against the bigger motor, crowdogs teryx is fast he past me in a flat like i was standing still, and even running on one cylinder and 3 flats and in the last lap a complete blowout, brought in on a rim and still got second.and no they didn't finish that race.because the car was tore to pieces.i didn't beat them the desert did. But i get where your coming from.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Big guy, sir you are right it will be an edge for the guy with a bigger motor. but it has the potential to also be a curse. I think we will find out soon enough, but in my opinion sir, its still not the biggest factor . one half of racing the desert is in fact other competitors but the other factor which i personally believe is the biggest factor , is you have to race the desert first.
i have raced against the bigger motor, crowdogs teryx is fast he past me in a flat like i was standing still, and even running on one cylinder and 3 flats and in the last lap a complete blowout, brought in on a rim and still got second.and no they didn't finish that race.because the car was tore to pieces.i didn't beat them the desert did. But i get where your coming from.
Your absolutly right!!! My last race was the BITD Bluewater classic, I finished both days and ran my RZR as hard as I could and as fast as it would go I had it to the floor most of the race and only got 8th. You also have to consider that most of our races are not that long. Parker 250 is 180 miles Bluewater GP is only 65miles dsesert classic was only 65 miles and the henderson race is only 135 miles. All of these races have large finishing percentages, you have to be fast to win. Dont get me wrong I agree with you. I have been trying to catch the lead pack and finally put some money into my motor and now the lead pack is getting even faster. It is just frustrating when you have been building a car for 3 years to a set of rules and now the rules change. 2 steps forward and 3 steps back!!!

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
I with u there, I to am in year 3 with my car and I just dumped 4 k into motor upgrades to be a little more competitive , just to find out 3 weeks later that I could have done what a really wanted to Do all along. That's the part that makes everyone mad, when were following the 800cc rule then u change it a week before u get your new 1000cc motor . And I know of one person who ask 3 months ago and was told it wasn't changing . Cause canam has an 800cc also. The way it was done and how it screwd some of us still building are cars up is why its fd up

Reactions: 1 person

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Desertbelz you are write about the desert. I cant tell you how many races we were leading and were let down. Some were the desert and other were parts that can't handle the desert. The only dnf we got this year will leading the bilek race.Was when the brand new Billet crank from crank works blew apart. Remember that crank was suppose to 30% stronger than stock it didn't make it 300miles. The desert ate that one up.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
are you talking about the bi-polar team that never made weight,every race they should up to they were under weight. They still couldn't beat jaggedx with a 1000cc motor.
Yeah, they couldn't, but that was because of fuel pump problems at V2R and a broken A-arm (which was OEM Stock). But at Baja1000 in 08, they beat all the other UTV's. And that was running an almost stock machine other than exhaust, shocks, beadlocks and race cage.
Still, prep is the biggest thing.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Something to be said there Darryl. While Bi-Polar may not have done a ton in BITD they did win the grand daddy off road race of them all, the Baja 1000...how many in BITD can say that? SOmething to think about...

At anyrate I am proud to have all of you discussing this here. One reason why the Underground is the site the UTV racers call home.

Welcome to the site Nicholas! You make very valid points.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Well, I have two championships under my belt and last year, we took the championship and did not win a race till the second to last of the season. Our car whs a Rhino with a built 660!. It was a small motor and slow, but we kept it together. Because I kept the stock displacement the motor reved up higher and lasted longer. They flying Bananna was a 660 but did well because it was not punched out too far. That was last year. Now that the cars are stronger and better parts are available, the cars are more reliable and can take much more abuse. The car we won with last year would not have even finished in the top 3 this year. I raced Whiplash and although many don't like the series, they had some tough races last year. The Vulture Mine was about 80 rough miles and Snowflake is always around 75, with Flagstaff and Paige coming in around 60-70. On the longer races, it is ok to go a bit slower. On the shorter races the cars with more hp always and I mean always beat us. If the racers are running close in the tough terrain sections and ther is a five mile stretch that allows flat out, the car that can pull 10-15mph more than the others makes up a TON of ground. Anyone every try to take the whoops in an underpowered car only to be blown past by someone that has the power to ride the tops of the whoops? Every been passed on a flat powerline road like you were standing still? Having the power to go faster on the easy sections is realistically how races are won. Pushing a car harder for 100 miles in the rough only results in a breakdown of some sort the majority of the time. It does not usualy win races.

Also, bigger motors don't have to work as hard. We must consider that top speed is a funciton of rpm as most of our motors have maxed out the clutch system long before top speed is met. Bigger motors don't always rev higher. Short stroke motors make higher rpm's without as much internal stress. Having a factory motor of large displacement is usually far more reliable and faster than a smaller motor that has been punched out and worked over to make the same hp. The large motor had different gearing that allows higher speeds without over reving the motor. How fast is a Commander at 6K rpm's compared to a rhino? Get the picture? Smaller factor motors have to rev higher to make the same top speed. That means all of us that built cars this year, according to the current rules, are stuck with expensive engine mods (mine is over 6K) and our little mills have to work hard and rev high to keep up with the stock engines of larger displacement. High revs are hard on motors. Reliability is key which is why the "yellow rhino" has had some difficult seasons but has a bright future as the new Can-Am is in the stables.

We all must realize that eventually the rules must change. I just don't like how it was done any more than any of the rest of you. I told my friend who put on the final rally race of the season for three sanctioning bodies and is a national champ himself about the BITD situation and he said it would never fly in rally racing. Although he has hosted the Prescott race for 18 years, several years ago he was in the points lead for a championship but was not able to race the Prescott race because he was involved in planning and coordinating the race. No one in racing of any kind thinks having the tech inspector race and require that we all join his association makes any sense but I do hand it to Cory for doing all he has done for the series and UTV racing. If more people contributed like he does, we would have tech inspectors lines up at BITD and everywhere else.

I am just as frustrated as anyone but let's put our efforts into finding a way to help him out and free him up from doing tech so he can race without being subject to this internet stuff. It can be upsetting when someone puts a ton of work into something and then gets torn up for it on some forum.

I am Bobby Raber, (1915) I have a passion for racing, I don't hide behind some forum name, I don't like the rule change, I will get over it, and I hope to see as many of you at henderson as possable. Best of luck to all including Cory and his team.

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I agree with you Bobby. I don't like it either but I too will get over it. I have found a great passion for racing also and thanks to my great husband I get that opportunity. I am bummed that I will most likely not be racing my Rhino next year and that I have to spend a bit of money to get my Teryx race ready. I just don't want our class to turn into another "guy with the most money wins" class. I am hoping that we will get enough of us racing that we can divide the class into 2. I am very excited to work with SNORE and I hope to see you all out there for Rage on the River!

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
i agree, we have beat the dead horse enough,So enough with BITD anyone have more info on SNORE, i have heard of it but know nothing about it, any info we be great, maybe a new thread would be better suited, and regardless i'm gonna try to make Henderson.
Thanks Nicholas
1940 Dezert Rebelz

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I really want to do the SNORE race but have a bit of a conflict because the following weekend is the final 2 races of the Grindingstone GP which I am currently in 2nd place in the points.I usually dont go after the points championships due to funds and just pick and chose the funnest races but since I am so close at the end of the season I would like to go after this.It seems that SNORE could be the best series for the average low buck racer in my opinion.

Desert Toyz Cory S

DeSeRt ToYz RhInO - UTVUnderground Approved
Aug 23, 2009
BITD/UTVRA rules are not made by one person. The original rules were written by me. In the last 5 years any rule changes were made by the collective decision of a group. The members of this group are the past and present BITD/UTVRA racers and Casey Folks, Tim Orchard, Bill Schuler, Lee Perfect, and the manufactures of UTVs.
Tech inspection for UTVs is done for class compliance and safety. The UTVRA has 5 tech inspectors; Cory, Eric, Matt, Billy, Donavan.
The UTVRA is run by 2 people Cory and Eric.

Calling me and the UTVRA a joke and asking me to "step down" upsets me, my family and my friends.
It is counter productive and not good for our sport!

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
BITD/UTVRA rules are not made by one person. The original rules were written by me. In the last 5 years any rule changes were made by the collective decision of a group. The members of this group are the past and present BITD/UTVRA racers and Casey Folks, Tim Orchard, Bill Schuler, Lee Perfect, and the manufactures of UTVs.
Tech inspection for UTVs is done for class compliance and safety. The UTVRA has 5 tech inspectors; Cory, Eric, Matt, Billy, Donavan.
The UTVRA is run by 2 people Cory and Eric.

Calling me and the UTVRA a joke and asking me to "step down" upsets me, my family and my friends.
It is counter productive and not good for our sport!
You are correct, Cory. It is bad for our sport. I know that change is inevitable. You have done so much for this sport and I appreciate it. Everyone should realize that the UTV manufactures were also looking for this change. They need their new cars out there on the race track. I just wish I were one of their sponsored drivers! :D Best of luck to you in your new ride!
Lacrecia Beurrier #1928

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Everyone knows how much Cory has done and time he has invested, but no matter how it went down it still looks bad.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I dont race desert, but my car is built for it, and I could race BITD with my car if I had the time and money, so take this as you will...

Sounds like a perfect time to follow whats happening in LOORRS short course racing, and start swapping in stock $1500 R1 motors and get the SR1 class moving in desert racing, as much as it is in short course. Last race, 10 SR1s, 5 Unlimited cars... Rumors that Kawasaki frames with 1000cc Stock Kawasaki motors will be allowed next year. Take HP out of the equation, put your money in to suspension and prep, and go faster and have more fun. My R1 is geared to cruise at 80mph at 8,000rpm in 6th gear. Thats barely getting into the powerband (13,500 rpm redline)... Seems there will be a lot of nice desert Rhinos sitting this year, not being able to make the HP to keep up, exactly like what happened last year with short course.

Just my 2¢.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
These cars are fun to watch but I am not sure they are good for utv racing.If LOORS goes to 1000cc I dont think the SR1 cars would even come close to the real UTVs.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
FYI Rhino guys!

Cory has made it possble for Rotax powered Rhino's to race in the sportsman class for BITD. I'm sure this will carry over to Snore as well, and as always Whiplash, and ASCC welcomes Rotax's.

If at any point we have 5 or more Rotax Rhino's racing, he will make us our own class with a payout!

With that said, if you're interested in converting your desert race Rhino to a Rotax, send resumes to [email protected] :D

PS. I put 800+ race and test miles on my 912cc Rotax this season without any issues at all. Just tore it down to look everything over, and it looks perfect!

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
The guy from SNORE said you could race for the first 2 trial races.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000