BITD/UTVRA 2011 rules update

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
The way the rules have always been in the past was that you had to maintain the factory cases. So I would assume that the 800, 840, 916, and 999 teryx would all be legal now. Same as a 686 rino and so on.
Cool, I'm not familiar with the Teryx big bore kits and wasn't sure what whether it used original heads or what. Just looked at the section on engines and it states
ENGINE LOCATION AND DISPLACEMENT: All UTV vehicles must use stock engine cases and cylinder head. Maximum engine displacement is 800cc, larger displacement engines may be allowed if produced by the factory. A weight restriction may be required. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]This displacement requirement only applies to the UTV Pro Spec class. The Sportsman Unlimited is an open Displacement class. Engine displacement and location may be checked by UTV Racing Association at any time. The UTV Racing Association reserves the right to mark engine blocks prior to an event and confiscate engines after the race.
[/FONT][/FONT]
I bet there will be some killer Teryxs out there. What about the RZRs, what engine big bore kits do they have available?

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
u know what gets me is how come the rule finally comes out after the rule maker gets a 1000cc motor.There should have been a decision made last year when there was already a 1000cc motor in an artic cat, i do believe they were called Bi Polar racing and at that time there was a weight limit,(which is a joke in an under powered class anyway)which none the less was ever enforced. but the point was to keep the obsolete AKA yellow rhino still competitive.But i guess now that its a yellow can am with plenty of power to keep up with the solid red car with a BIG JAGGED X on it , we don't need any restrictions. nobody else is gonna say it but i call BULLSH*T. I guess all us guys who follow the rules (including the RED X)are up a creek cause we don't get to change the rules as we go. i know i, like many other have build an engine to the 800cc specs and what now ,we suppose to just throw another 4 or 5 k in for the next upgrade??
I respect Jagged x' opinion on this matter but right is right and wrong is wrong, I think in my not so HUMBLE opinion that the rule makers should NOT be-able to race and quite frankly the UTVRA and the guy who runs it is a joke, Hopefully a real race promoter like Casey Folks from a real race assoc. like Best in The Desert takes over the class. NasCar,Score,Bitd, all have rules and officials, and none of the are on the track Racing. HMMM i wonder why?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
u know what gets me is how come the rule finally comes out after the rule maker gets a 1000cc motor.There should have been a decision made last year when there was already a 1000cc motor in an artic cat, i do believe they were called Bi Polar racing and at that time there was a weight limit,(which is a joke in an under powered class anyway)which none the less was ever enforced. but the point was to keep the obsolete AKA yellow rhino still competitive.But i guess now that its a yellow can am with plenty of power to keep up with the solid red car with a BIG JAGGED X on it , we don't need any restrictions. nobody else is gonna say it but i call BULLSH*T. I guess all us guys who follow the rules (including the RED X)are up a creek cause we don't get to change the rules as we go. i know i, like many other have build an engine to the 800cc specs and what now ,we suppose to just throw another 4 or 5 k in for the next upgrade??
I respect Jagged x' opinion on this matter but right is right and wrong is wrong, I think in my not so HUMBLE opinion that the rule makers should NOT be-able to race and quite frankly the UTVRA and the guy who runs it is a joke, Hopefully a real race promoter like Casey Folks from a real race assoc. like Best in The Desert takes over the class. NasCar,Score,Bitd, all have rules and officials, and none of the are on the track Racing. HMMM i wonder why?
Doesn't seem quite right to me either.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Earlier this year I was told I had to keep my Teryx motor to 800cc unless my car was over 2100lbs like the bi-polar car, and even then I could only go 840. Here we are in the fall, over 6K in engine building later keeping the motor to 800cc, and the rules change when the tech inspector gets a new car. In March it was not fair to all the current racers to allow a Kawi 840 motor but in October, a 1000 is ok. I already had the 1000 kit and had to return it in order to build an 800. I am not trying to bash anyone but if the rule was going to change, it should have been done when AC came out with the 1000. Now that we have kept the rules at 800 for this long, it seems odd that there has been a 180 degree turn in tech rules. I understand that some day things must change with the industry. I am actually happy for the "yellow rhino" because now it can be retired and the team will fare much better in the races. It just sucks for guys like me that put 6K into a motor that could have been a 1000 and I already had the parts.

If I think about the rules too long I get frustrated. Let's just go racing and have a great time.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I agree Nicholas. When I talked with Cory on the phone a month or so ago, he told me that the Commander 1000 would not be allowed since Can-Am already had an 800? Huh?! Well Arctic Cat already had a 700 so why did the 1000 get to race? Inconsistencies like this show political motivation in my opinion, and there is no place for it in UTV racing.

As I said in another thread, I have no diesire to race in a series where one person can make the rules, perform tech inspections, force you to join his race association and also race.

Cory should do the right thing and step down from his position if he wants to race.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
As I said in another thread, I have no diesire to race in a series where one person can make the rules, perform tech inspections, force you to join his race association and also race.

Cory should do the right thing and step down from his position if he wants to race.

I did not think the UTVRA was even an association any more. Before the Vegas to Reno, I called him myself and left a message asking for an application after emailing the website email with no responce. Matter of fact, it has been months and neither my call or email was returned with an application. I know it is in the rules, but with no responce to applicants I thought they canned the affiliation.

Cory, feel free to chime in and let us know if the UTVRA is still required.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
I think you posted what a lot of racers are thinking. However I also feel that other teams wanted the change because they know of larger cc models coming out in the near future (polaris). I know the UTVRA was looking to expand the feild but I know of 3 racers that are on the fence for 2011, me being one of them. Im not going to spend that kind of money on an entry fee if I dont feel I can be competitive. It makes no sense to me to not have a class that would be 801cc - 1000cc and leave the current class alone. Let the racers decide wich class they want to race in. There is no way that i can afford to build another car, not to mention the fact that I just put $2000 in my motor to be able to compete at our current level. The other option is to go with a big bore kit which is another $6000 I dont have, not to mention the fact that the big bore kits for the RZR arent proven in the desert. Im not going to be the guy to do that R&D. The UTV class is entry level racing, a lot of guys race it because it is somewhat affordable. What about the guy that just got a deal on an older race car and wants to put a few bucks in it and go race?? Im not saying he cant but why would he when his chances of winning are slim to none. I will say that Cory has done a lot for our sport and really deserves credit for all he has done. I dont think he is a bad guy I just think he has too much on his plate and needs help but wont ask for it. I for one would rather have another UTV racer that understands our sport tech. my car instead an overzelous BITD tech guy that wont bend the rules for us. Cory will give you a chance to have it fixed by the next race unless it is something really urgent. Well how about all of us guys that have smaller CC race cars just race sportsman? We can put money in for our own payback and not pay the extra pro race fees but still have the benfit of a payback.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Can Am isn't proven in the desert yet either.I know of one weak link already.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Sportsman is moving to 1000cc as well.

No points race though...... :(

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
dezertbellz has it half right there should be a seperation from racer/tech inspector/rule maker/president. But if your looking for casey from BITD to take over this you have never raced in BITD. We are the red headed step child of this series.That is were cory has a lock on it. I beleive we have to do what ever it takes to keep the car count up and that is why the change happen. What about the john deere they have showned tons of interest but because of old rules would not be able to race. Do you change cc rule just for them or for all.Because that wouldn't be fair.If you would like to go further on why we should of not changed the rule, look at lucas oil i want to say they only had 5 pro cars show up 4kawis and 1 rzr.I will put money on it that lucas is looking at changing the cc rule too. I would say the pro utv guys are sick of the SR1 guys beating them. I also want to put this out there i think Snore has the potential to do a good job, because only $450 to race and i heard they are going to have better purse. At the desert challenge in oct we placed second and only won $680. It cost us $700 to enter and $175 for stupid IRC.I hope Snore has a better purse.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
dezertbellz has it half right there should be a seperation from racer/tech inspector/rule maker/president. But if your looking for casey from BITD to take over this you have never raced in BITD. We are the red headed step child of this series.That is were cory has a lock on it. I beleive we have to do what ever it takes to keep the car count up and that is why the change happen. What about the john deere they have showned tons of interest but because of old rules would not be able to race. Do you change cc rule just for them or for all.Because that wouldn't be fair.If you would like to go further on why we should of not changed the rule, look at lucas oil i want to say they only had 5 pro cars show up 4kawis and 1 rzr.I will put money on it that lucas is looking at changing the cc rule too. I would say the pro utv guys are sick of the SR1 guys beating them. I also want to put this out there i think Snore has the potential to do a good job, because only $450 to race and i heard they are going to have better purse. At the desert challenge in oct we placed second and only won $680. It cost us $700 to enter and $175 for stupid IRC.I hope Snore has a better purse.
Has SNORE been in contact with the UTVRA?? I know they were going to mirror the BITD classes but are they also working with Cory???

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
SNORE says I can race.BITD says I cant.I like Cory and appreciate what he has done but he should not be deciding the final rules for a class he is competing in.There should be a board of people to decide these things.

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
Stripping shop, I agree with you i only have it half right, AND so far i have not made an actual BITD race, i have been and seen the tech and contingency, or lack there of @ BITD RACES FOR OUR CLASS. I have raced in VORRA and i also raced King of Hammers. they both seemed to tech the cars just fine, i Think you can Tech theses cars very similar to any other class. I agree this is a changing class that can be tuff to keep up with do to the many platforms that are available. i'm fine with a 1000 cc in the class, besides true desert racing is won in your shop, in your build and your prep, not the cc of your motor(prime example, crowdogs teryx 840CC, having lap time 10 to 15 min behind sam berri LS-WHATEVER 500 PLUS HORSE POWER in a 200 mile desert race) we are making this class more competitive). i have seen the can - am and i would love to race it , it needs quite a bit to make it a desert worthy rig.I, like many of the rest of the guys in our class have been annihilated with the current economy, and have not been able to make as many races as i would like. We need to try and keep our attendance up and show all the racing series that we are not the red headed step child, cause they all treat are class the same way, we don't get taking seriously.But we spend real money and we fab are cars very seriously. i also know Casey doesnt want to take are class over, i was using that as an example, someone with that background who knows how to run an assoc. and is not racing in the class.I think 1000cc isnt a big deal, the Desert is a race of attrition not just speed.Your car has to hold together first and if you look at average race speeds, the current leaders in Bitd are not the 3 fastest cars on the track.I was pretty specific on my last blog that the current UTVRA is a joke, i stated the guy who runs it is a joke too. I was half wrong in that statement, the guy who runs it is not a joke(that was too personal) I should have said the way it is run is a joke. I would like to say it one more time i believe there should not be a weight limit in our class and i believe the 1000cc should be aloud to race in the 1900 pro class, along with current rules of keeping stock motor as the basis of your rig and being able to build it up if you so desire up to 1000cc.We are racers, we all want to go fast, i didn't build a race car to see how slow i could go through the desert, and i doubt any of you did either.I don't believe people who are better funded than me right now should be penalized for being able to build a little more car than i can. Thats what too many rules does. The class will never be perfect we all can t win all the time and some rules have to be general till we have 30 cars at every race. then you can break up more class distinctions.NOW FOR WHAT I DO NOT AGREE WITH, THERE WAS ALREADY A 1000CC MOTOR AND NO RULES WERE SET IN STONE, THE NEWS OF CAN-AM COMING OUT WITH A RIG WAS NOT NEW.THERE SHOULD NOT BE ONE PERSON SETTING RULES, ONE PERSON WHO TECHS THE CARS AND RACES THE CLASS.AND IF THERE IS TO BE A GOVERNING COMMITTEE FOR OUR CLASS THEN IT SHOULD BE A COMMITTEE WITH YEARLY MEETINGS AND A VOTING SYSTEM.I DO NOT THINK THE RULES SHOULD BE CHANGED AS A PROBLEM ARISES , IF YOUR GONNA REPRESENT THAT YOUR AND ASSOCIATION THEN ALL IM SAYING IS ACT LIKE IT BE A LITTLE MORE PRO ACTIVE WITH THE CLASS DONT JUST CHANGE RULES AS YOU GO.again i don't have it all figured out, nor do i want to represent like i do, i think we have have to act in our class like professionals and work together to make it the best class out there, we can show other classes we are not lap traffic, we are legitimate in our class and we love the desert and racing it just as much as they do.I do believe our class as far as an industry in utv's is one of the fastest growing ever. and we have the ability to be one of the bigger classes out there. so you all know i stand by what i think my name is Nicholas Casler i own DeZert RebelZ Racing with my wife, we are a desert racing family like many of you out there.My car is 1930 polaris RZR and i plan on being out there racing as much as i can afford. feel free to email me anytime, hope to see many of you out there racing.Hope to see are class grow and progress.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
SNORE says I can race.BITD says I cant.I like Cory and appreciate what he has done but he should not be deciding the final rules for a class he is competing in.There should be a board of people to decide these things.
happens in LOORRS, example, having to buy a competitors mounting system, although not expensive, a rival has to use a competitor part? Still BS, many ways to skin a cat, there can be measurement points to locate a motor front to back side to side etc.. as an example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000