BITD/UTVRA 2011 rules update

Desert Toyz Cory S

DeSeRt ToYz RhInO - UTVUnderground Approved
Aug 23, 2009
Best in the Desert/UTVRA, class 1900, Pro production UTV rule changes for 2011.
The engine cc limit will be 1000cc. There will be no weight restrictions.
All other Pro production UTV rules will remain the same.

The "SR1" class name will change to "DSR1"
This is a street bike power UTV class. The rules will be better defined and released soon.

Thank you to all the UTV racers that took part in the rule discussions.

Reactions: 1 person

rmuzzy

Mr. Muzzy - UTVUnderground Approved
Sep 2, 2009
Bend Oregon
Well this should make Crowdog happy. I hope DSR1 means all street bike 1000's. Can you say ZX10 Teryx.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Lets hope so I know I cant aford to build another motor or car and if I cant compete then i will probably quit racing. I would have left the clases alone and if the 800 pro class would have died then so be it. So what are you guys coming out with next year???:)
This is a good move for the class! maybe we can get Bi-Polar back out here.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Lets hope so I know I cant aford to build another motor or car and if I cant compete then i will probably quit racing. I would have left the clases alone and if the 800 pro class would have died then so be it. So what are you guys coming out with next year???:)
Not quite sure what you mean by that? If the classes stayed the same and the 800 class died there would be no class. The 800 class as it is now is basically the whole class.

Even with all the "nickle & dime" stuff this class is still the most affordable way to desert race. It is still really expensive and clearly not EVERYONE can afford to race. I really hope that opening the class brings more racers out. The more racers the more fun we all have, IMHO

As for us, the little rock rzr seems to be holding it's own. We will just wait to see what the new rules bring. We would like to build another new car but like everyone we have to consider the cost.

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Im sorry your right I was in a hurry. Let me clarify, we leave the current 800 class alone and add a 1000cc class, if everyone moves to the 1000cc class then the 800cc class would just disolve on its own. Does that make sense?? Alls im saying is that it has taken me 3 years to get my RZR to where it is. I finaly feel that it is somewhat competitive. Now if we get 3 or 4 1000cc guys in or class that start winning all the time then Im out. Im not ready to through in the towel at this point but Im not going to put all the money and time into prepping my car if I dont have any chance at a win. Sportsman is not an option for me I dont like racing for a plastic trophy. If i want to do that i can go race the WORCS series for a whole lot less money.Thats all just giving you the poor mans point of view. I will see you guys in Parker.:D
Not quite sure what you mean by that? If the classes stayed the same and the 800 class died there would be no class. The 800 class as it is now is basically the whole class.

Even with all the "nickle & dime" stuff this class is still the most affordable way to desert race. It is still really expensive and clearly not EVERYONE can afford to race. I really hope that opening the class brings more racers out. The more racers the more fun we all have, IMHO

As for us, the little rock rzr seems to be holding it's own. We will just wait to see what the new rules bring. We would like to build another new car but like everyone we have to consider the cost.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Im sorry your right I was in a hurry. Let me clarify, we leave the current 800 class alone and add a 1000cc class, if everyone moves to the 1000cc class then the 800cc class would just disolve on its own. Does that make sense?? Alls im saying is that it has taken me 3 years to get my RZR to where it is. I finaly feel that it is somewhat competitive. Now if we get 3 or 4 1000cc guys in or class that start winning all the time then Im out. Im not ready to through in the towel at this point but Im not going to put all the money and time into prepping my car if I dont have any chance at a win. Sportsman is not an option for me I dont like racing for a plastic trophy. If i want to do that i can go race the WORCS series for a whole lot less money.Thats all just giving you the poor mans point of view. I will see you guys in Parker.:D
Jeff,you are in the same boat as a lot of guys, thats probably why there is still alot of rhinos in this class.Unfortunatley in racing your eventually going to get outdated.At least you can race.

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I agree on both points. I think it will bring a few new racers, but on the other hand, I am one of the "poor" girls too! Lucky for me I already have a Teryx that is close to being race ready. We just need to do a little motor work and then doors and thats pretty much it. I am hoping to have it ready for Rage on the River. If not, I will gladly race my Rhino. I love it, but my 686 only goes so fast. It would be nice to have the little extra that I can get out of the Teryx. On a side note: I was planning on being at the Parker race, however my brother in law is gravely ill and I have to go to my sister's side. I will see you Laughlin!!!

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Yeah I know, I also look at it as, UTVs are very limited as far as speed in the rough due to suspension limitations. I dont like racing on graded roads I like rough, rocky, whooped out race courses I dont care if you have a 2000cc motor your only going to be able to go as fast as your suspension, wheel base and driving ability will allow. Im excited to see how all this pans out.
Jeff,you are in the same boat as a lot of guys, thats probably why there is still alot of rhinos in this class.Unfortunatley in racing your eventually going to get outdated.At least you can race.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Can someone tell me if I got this right?

so there will be essentially two classes, one with the 800 limit and a factory motor like before and one for up to 1000cc with any motor.

If we are all running together than the new teryx motor I paid 5K for was built for the current rules that are out the door. I know the rules eventually need to change but I hate to see all the rhinos and 800 or below cars get eliminated from the race scene. Anyway, is it like this?

1. A class to 800cc that stays the same
2. An open class with any motor up to 1000cc

If that is the way it is, this class will rock. I will have to buy an outdated race rhino to put my can am spyder990 motor with reverse into and race that too.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Can someone tell me if I got this right?

so there will be essentially two classes, one with the 800 limit and a factory motor like before and one for up to 1000cc with any motor.

If we are all running together than the new teryx motor I paid 5K for was built for the current rules that are out the door. I know the rules eventually need to change but I hate to see all the rhinos and 800 or below cars get eliminated from the race scene. Anyway, is it like this?

1. A class to 800cc that stays the same
2. An open class with any motor up to 1000cc

If that is the way it is, this class will rock. I will have to buy an outdated race rhino to put my can am spyder990 motor with reverse into and race that too.

The way I read it is that the Pro Production Class will be opened up to 1000cc. This means all cc Production motors up to 1000cc, which means the Arctic Cat 1000 and Can Am 1000 are legal. And if Kawasaki does offer the 840cc kit as a production option, it becomes legal also. But there is not a smaller cc class.

Rule from 2010...
Pro UTV Production Class definition: [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Pro UTV production class vehicles are built using production UTV’s, manufactured by registered companies that issues Vin #’s. Companies must produce a minimum number of units to be accepted. UTV’s must have 2 seats. OEM engines must be used. Maximum engine size is 800cc. [/FONT][/FONT]Note; [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Artic Cat Prowler 1000cc has been approved to compete. A minimum weight of 2100 lbs is required (this includes driver and navigator). [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Pro Class does have a points championship, a points championship fund, and an individual race purse. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
The way it would read now will be:
Pro UTV Production Class definition: [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Pro UTV production class vehicles are built using production UTV’s, manufactured by registered companies that issues Vin #’s. Companies must produce a minimum number of units to be accepted. UTV’s must have 2 seats. OEM engines must be used. Maximum engine size is 1000cc[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]. There is no minimum weight for this class.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Pro Class does have a points championship, a points championship fund, and an individual race purse. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
It sounds as if the Sportsman class will remain and the SR1 class will be renamed DSR1 with some rules defined. Your 990 Spyder motored Rhino would be in the DSR1 Class, while my Arctic Cat 1000 and the Can Am Commanders will be in the Pro Production UTV Class. Cory, am I correct in these interpretations?

But as many have said, the suspension, the durability and the driving skills will still be the biggest factors in wins.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Well, I wold not have built an 800 kawi for rules that were changing but oh well. If it ever blows I will have to go big block. I still own a set of Fundy pistons/clynders/cams that they have. Myabe I will have to get the big ones just in case my motor ever needs to be taken down again.

I guess that can am 1000 I ordered will not just be a pit machine.
Time to start a race build all over.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
An aftermarket 840cc Teryx would be legal. Does not have to be factory....
That would be cool, I was just going on the OEM engine part of the 2010 rules. But if it uses Kawasaki cases, head and cylinder, or derived from such, I guess so. Or is Cory removing that part of the 2010 rules?

By the way, congratulations on your VORRA win Jon.

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
That would be cool, I was just going on the OEM engine part of the 2010 rules. But if it uses Kawasaki cases, head and cylinder, or derived from such, I guess so. Or is Cory removing that part of the 2010 rules?

By the way, congratulations on your VORRA win Jon.
The way the rules have always been in the past was that you had to maintain the factory cases. So I would assume that the 800, 840, 916, and 999 teryx would all be legal now. Same as a 686 rino and so on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000