Yamaha BITD sr1 class build

sadisticiron

Sadistic Iron Werks
Mar 9, 2012
Hesperia, CA
www.facebook.com
how my sunday morning went. i built a few things and mounted them up. tying to keep the flow going.

do these pics work tatum

cans mounted up, just need to make the caps, tips, and tie themm into the main pipe

fuel pump and reg mounted.

light bar mounts and cross tube

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
Nice looking car! I'll throw out one comment from experience, move the fuel pump to the inside of the tank. 2 things EFI pumps do not like to do, lift fuel, and vapor lock, especially in any race where the outside temp is above 90-95deg. We bought the fuel safe wiring connector for getting the wires in and out of the fuel cell cover, it was about $100 i think. We put in redundant fuel pumps in out tank and have never had another problem. Years ago we had it mounted very similar to what you have and we vapor locked twice (and yes we were EFI also).

sadisticiron

Sadistic Iron Werks
Mar 9, 2012
Hesperia, CA
www.facebook.com
thanks...ya that was one of my main concerns was vapor locking. i know of a bunch of utv vapor locking while racing. thats why i kinda put the pump in a spot that would get some air flow over it and around it. do you have a parts list on what pump you used

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
What size fuel cell did you end up going with? Do you have an idea what kind of mileage you will get out of the R1 in desert race conditions? Just starting a similar build and with out testing I have no idea what size cell to order. I don't mind trial and error testing but space is limited and cells are expensive.
Thanks,

sadisticiron

Sadistic Iron Werks
Mar 9, 2012
Hesperia, CA
www.facebook.com
went with a 12 gallon cell. the r1 in a bike gets about 150-200 miles per tank.(4.5 gallons) being that its in a utv now with weight and depending on driving style should get about the same out of a 12 gallon cell. wont really know until we test to see true mpg in real world conditions. the course has a lot to do with fuel milage to so its hard to say.

the 12 gallon cell seems to be the norm for everyone. i would have rather built my own cell to fit under the seats but custom bladders are pricey to.

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks for the quick response. Thats right along with what I was thinking but its always nice to have someone else's opinion. I was also thinking about putting the tank under the seats to lower the C.G. but your right the price is prohibitive. Your build is looking great. It should be a killer ride when its finished.

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
I know what you mean. I've done a couple of Rockcrawler builds and its almost worse to get no comments than it is to get negative comments.
How soon do you guys plan to have it up and running? I got tubing for mine delivered today and am hoping to have it ready by the first of the year but I guess we will see how that goes.:rolleyes: We have a few more details to hammer out before I actually start bending. Were hoping to race all the BITD race's next year.

sadisticiron

Sadistic Iron Werks
Mar 9, 2012
Hesperia, CA
www.facebook.com
ya very true. hoped to have it done by vegas to reno but that doesnt leave us a ton of testing and inspection. so may just be done after that. were fortunate to live in the same area as most of these races so our testing should be spot on with the terrain.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
ya very true. hoped to have it done by vegas to reno but that doesnt leave us a ton of testing and inspection. so may just be done after that. were fortunate to live in the same area as most of these races so our testing should be spot on with the terrain.
You guys look like your pretty close...make it happen, V2R is an epic adventure!

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
I am itching to be passenger for V2R:D I will codrive and fall asleep like he did on me haha

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
thanks. im hoping for it to happen but id rather it be right then send out a half ass product. i dont wanna have staggs fixing things out there in the middle of the desert...:D
I can handle it but I preferr not to get out the whole race haha so I can nap:D

He cant anyhow he lost all his tool in Cal City
yeah that was after a axle change looks like in the DARK I left the strap hanging and the axle caught it and ripped it off then all hell broke loose and I wasnt stopping but good thing is I didn't loose the Dewalt impact :eek: besides it threw you guys off when you came accross the flashlight that was on and facing you hahaha!

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
went with a 12 gallon cell. the r1 in a bike gets about 150-200 miles per tank.(4.5 gallons) being that its in a utv now with weight and depending on driving style should get about the same out of a 12 gallon cell. wont really know until we test to see true mpg in real world conditions. the course has a lot to do with fuel milage to so its hard to say.

the 12 gallon cell seems to be the norm for everyone. i would have rather built my own cell to fit under the seats but custom bladders are pricey to.
I am getting around 8-10 mpg averaging Parker, the Mint, and the SS300. Keep in mind my motor was really weak and only runs on two cylinders till about 4k rpm. It was the motor in mark turners Saboba sr1 that crashed. I took it to the dealer after the Mint and they said it should have had a valve job a long time ago. With the new motor we should get much better. I run a 12 tooth up front, 55 or 65 out back, and 28" pit bulls. If you plan to run 30" tires move the motor up 2.5" so you can run a 65 tooth sprocket without it sticking out under the car. Hope to see you at the VTR.

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
rupert14,
What kind of speeds do you get out of those 2 different sprocket sizes? How is your low speed crawl in 1st with each of those? Are you also running a 12 gallon cell? Sorry for the barage of questions just trying to cover as many bases as possible to keep from doing everything twice. I'm sure I'll still screw up plenty.:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000