Best utv for trail riding?

powerman659

Jan 31, 2018
Ok guys, I'm really new to the whole side by side thing. I'v owned four wheelers forever but now all my friends are getting utv's and im needing one now. I'm looking at a 1000cc turbo rzr. most my friends have a rzr or a wildcat but im not sure what one is better. I mainly ride in woods and trails with hills and jumps and going across creeks. What would you say is better and why? I'v looked at prices and i can get a wildcat alot cheaper then an rzr but i'm a polaris fan and leaning more towards that.

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
First, just to help your lingo there is no 1000cc RZR turbo. There is a 1000 non turbo and a RZR turbo that is 925cc. How wide are the trails you ride? Personally I would stay away from the Wildcat.

powerman659

Jan 31, 2018
oh sorry, the ones i was looking at say 1000 turbo, i thought that was the cc. And the trails are wide enough for jeeps for the most part. There is some pretty tight trails though. I did see there is a trails and rock edition though, that might be nice on hills.

powerman659

Jan 31, 2018
As far as the year of one, I am probably going to get a new one because i'd like to do all my own stuff to it. I normally buy used but it seems like I always start to dig into them and end up having a disaster on my hands. So starting of new would be nice for once.

Bruce

UNION YES
Apr 15, 2011
I have no experience with the wildcat. I have had Polaris and still have an XPT. Many friends have gone to Can Am and are happy. Polaris and Can Am are both good machines.

You get what you pay for most times.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
You might want to check out the new Wildcat XX. It should be available soon and is a super nice machine.

RWTDCT

Its an RZR Thing - La Familia
Jun 13, 2013
Central Coast, Ca. (Paso)
RS1 looks awesome, I would like to test ride one. The wife might not like it being it's a one seater, she would have to stay home. That might not be a bad thing.:D

Reactions: ROTAX

technologiq

Feb 28, 2016
Reno, NV
You really need to consider:
  • Budget
  • Type of Riding
  • # of Passengers you want
  • Do you want to make it your own or just leave it stock
Each model has it's pros and cons. For most people budget is probably the biggest factor in getting a UTV.

I really like the Yamaha YXZ, RZR Turbos and the X3 Turbos. Just like a car you are going to want to test drive before you spend $15,000 to $25,000+ on one.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Im pretty sure they aren't on the show room floor yet. So far they are getting great reviews and have way more race car technology than the RZR or Can Am. Give it a little time.

Reactions: Bruce

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Im pretty sure they aren't on the show room floor yet. So far they are getting great reviews and have way more race car technology than the RZR or Can Am. Give it a little time.
They should be hitting the showrooms this month. The release of the Turbo S and the RS1 kinda killed the buzz of the Wildcat XX a little.

Still think it was a mistake for Textron not to release a turbo model. Sure most don’t need a turbo car, but the turbo models create the buzz and get people in the dealers to look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utv-trader.com

Mar 6, 2018
utv-trader.com
Cant go wrong with Polaris. I have a 2011 XP 900 and it still runs strong and i have a blast with it. If your trying to get something cheaper thats what i suggest. I also have the 2016 XP 1000 Turbo 4 and it also is a blast but it cost a lot more. Either way Polaris is a great brand. Can-am and Yamaha are really good i just have no experience with them.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
They should be hitting the showrooms this month. The release of the Turbo S and the RS1 kinda killed the buzz of the Wildcat XX a little.

Still think it was a mistake for Textron not to release a turbo model. Sure most don’t need a turbo car, but the turbo models create the buzz and get people in the dealers to look around.

The RS1 intrigues me and I would like to sit in one and see if I fit. At six foot one the regular RZR is ungodly uncomfortable for me and the new Turbo S is just a widened RZR that is beefed up some but nothing new and spectacular.

I would love to see a factory turbo and wide suspension on the XX but I like how they used race car technology to build the chassis and suspension. I am told there is already different power adders and suspension kits that will be available as a dealer add plus the aftermarket will be all over this as well. Not to mention Yamaha has been building great motors for a long time and this is a proven platform with plenty of room for HP without having to turbo.

I sat in the prototype XX and the Speedcat and the are both comfortable with room for your left foot. I havent driven the X3 but sitting in it it is super comfortable and would love to drive one. I have driven and raced a couple of different Polaris' and just wasn't that impressed. Hopefully I can get in the XX and see if the rave reviews are true.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
The RS1 intrigues me and I would like to sit in one and see if I fit. At six foot one the regular RZR is ungodly uncomfortable for me and the new Turbo S is just a widened RZR that is beefed up some but nothing new and spectacular.

I would love to see a factory turbo and wide suspension on the XX but I like how they used race car technology to build the chassis and suspension. I am told there is already different power adders and suspension kits that will be available as a dealer add plus the aftermarket will be all over this as well. Not to mention Yamaha has been building great motors for a long time and this is a proven platform with plenty of room for HP without having to turbo.

I sat in the prototype XX and the Speedcat and the are both comfortable with room for your left foot. I havent driven the X3 but sitting in it it is super comfortable and would love to drive one. I have driven and raced a couple of different Polaris' and just wasn't that impressed. Hopefully I can get in the XX and see if the rave reviews are true.
The RS1 is a neat looking car. Saw one at the dealer a few weeks ago. Looks like it could be fun to drive.

The X3 RS is a blast to drive. I love mine in the dunes when it does not randomly go into limp mode. It offers a different driving experience compared to my XP1000.

Hoping to check out the Wildcat XX. I do like the what they have done with the suspension and over all package. Just don’t think the motor will be a wow factor after driving a turbo car.

I will say the Turbo S has the nicest dash layout of the current SXSs. It looks to be well thought out and I like it is set up from the factory for 32” tires.

Lots of good options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000