Back from Baja 500 w Avid Racing

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/irxY9Y9o4eQ" allowfullscreen="" width="425" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

Well...no sh*t...I figured it had to on video somewhere...thanks for finding that...a number of lessons learned on that one...first and foremost...don't follow another vehicle through a obstacle so closely...secondly don't follow another vehicle so closely that weights almost 10x's what you do...I'm sure you guys can add a whole host of others!

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
Hey Darryl!

Thanks Nicholas...more guys need to venture on down..I know most everybody budgets are tight but with careful planning and sharing expenses...I think more UTV's could be racing in Baja...its adventure unlike any other!

What is the about cost after having the car completed?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Awesome video.When did you guys get down there?Were you able to pre run your sections?

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
We got int Ensenada on Wednesday....we didn't do much prerunning as I somewhat knew the course and didn't want to risk hurting the Commander...we did do the first 30 miles or so to just before Ojos Negros on Friday afternoon...went a lot further than I anticipated

Last edited:

Zerofield

Pit Junky - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 13, 2009
Arizona
So Bob, why are there no Teryx owners stepping up, to put their machines thru the chalenges of racing Baja ? Are you up to the challenge? :D
We wouldn't want to embarrass you with what a monster energy kawasaki short course car or the back up car can do in the desert... Don't think any one could keep up with a Muzzys 1000 either

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
We wouldn't want to embarrass you with what a monster energy kawasaki short course car or the back up car can do in the desert... Don't think any one could keep up with a Muzzys 1000 either
REALLY????

I hope your kidding...honestly...I hope you are...if you aren't, then you don't know sh*t about racing Baja...we passed lots of cars and trucks that make a lot more HP...had trick suspensions..and on paper should dominate us..passed a lot of them pretty quickly and early (including a Chevy 3 cyl powered UTV)...of course SR1 cars have a huge HP/shifting advantage and are incredibly capable...but that's not apples to apples...most of them don't do well in longer Desert races if its a rugged course from what I have seen.. In Baja... 2wd cars struggle(ed) big time...especially this year. its been a couple of years since I raced the 500 (on a bike) and I don't remember the first 50 miles being as tough as it was...If I hadn't been so impatient and pulled the boneheaded move I did..and continued to drive a clean race.. I think we would have finished well... we were catching and passing a lot of other faster classes (supposedly) pretty quickly....we'll see how our BRP Commander does in upcoming races..and please bring your Kawi short course car..please?

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
What is the about cost after having the car completed?
I have had a lot of support from my Sponsors..but to reduplicate my car...being built by pros...easily $50k...it could be done for substantially less if you just wanted to get into desert racing...but cutting a lot of corners.

There are a lot of guys here who give you a lot better guidance than I on how to get into this sport at a lessor cost than I..I am a complete newbie to racing UTV's...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Danny you know I got love for my boy Bobby but his car with that motor would have no shot in Baja. Wrong set up wrong car. However should Bobby ever decide to go Baja racing I am sure he would make the car set up correct

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
I have had a lot of support from my Sponsors..but to reduplicate my car...being built by pros...easily $50k...it could be done for substantially less if you just wanted to get into desert racing...but cutting a lot of corners.

There are a lot of guys here who give you a lot better guidance than I on how to get into this sport at a lessor cost than I..I am a complete newbie to racing UTV's...
The car part is not an issue due to my current and next season sponsors. I just was looking for what the cost was say compared to a Vegas 2 Reno race. Thank you for response.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
REALLY????

I hope your kidding...honestly...I hope you are...if you aren't, then you don't know sh*t about racing Baja...we passed lots of cars and trucks that make a lot more HP...had trick suspensions..and on paper should dominate us..passed a lot of them pretty quickly and early (including a Chevy 3 cyl powered UTV)...of course SR1 cars have a huge HP/shifting advantage and are incredibly capable...but that's not apples to apples...most of them don't do well in longer Desert races if its a rugged course from what I have seen.. In Baja... 2wd cars struggle(ed) big time...especially this year. its been a couple of years since I raced the 500 (on a bike) and I don't remember the first 50 miles being as tough as it was...If I hadn't been so impatient and pulled the boneheaded move I did..and continued to drive a clean race.. I think we would have finished well... we were catching and passing a lot of other faster classes (supposedly) pretty quickly....we'll see how our BRP Commander does in upcoming races..and please bring your Kawi short course car..please?
I understand how pumped you are and you should be.Baja is awesome and a serious challenge.This course is not a wide open drag race and a properly setup UTV can do well.
Kawasaki has done extemely well in this race..If you look back in the 2009 Baja 1000 a Kawasaki Teryx would have got 3rd in Pro truck.4th in class 10,and 12th in class 1 after a 1000 miles.They also did well in the 500 that year and were 3 hours ahead in the 1000 the year before Baja got them.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I understand how pumped you are and you should be.Baja is awesome and a serious challenge.This course is not a wide open drag race and a properly setup UTV can do well.
Kawasaki has done extemely well in this race..If you look back in the 2009 Baja 1000 a Kawasaki Teryx would have got 3rd in Pro truck.4th in class 10,and 12th in class 1 after a 1000 miles.They also did well in the 500 that year and were 3 hours ahead in the 1000 the year before Baja got them.
I couldnt agree more...heck...a well prepared UTV had it finished and not timed out would have prodiumed...been first!.. I was stoking Zerofield cause of his dumbass statement.

Zerofield

Pit Junky - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 13, 2009
Arizona
This is why I hate forums because everyone gets all pissy...sorry to pop your guys little happy bubble.

Duh! it would be set up for desert. I'm not an idoit

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
I'd love to see Bobby race SCORE! I'd also like to see an SR1 attempt it. IMO they would struggle outside of the lake beds. The cc's don't give you that much of an advantage in desert courses, too many things that keep your speed down. So having a 1000cc vs. 750cc isn't a huge advantage...you gotta finish to win.

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
Ha HA , zero called it , people take way to personal,
Ignore, i understand the remark, considering the cost and efforts that go into a race like that.
BUT
you all said it best if , if, if , if . the facts are there were prepared UTV's down there and none of them finished.
THE DESERT BEAT THEM THIS TIME.

Anyone can say what they could have done if, but as always the proof in in the pudding.
And again you still went down and tried , and that more than a lot of the rest of us are doing.
So good drivers, and bad drivers alike can talk about what they could do , but if they don't show up to do it then they cant prove it. when i see these blogs it makes me glad my RZR race car is gone. then i see others that make me want it back
cheers

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
when you post something like that above it doesn't leave much room for laughing since no one knows if you really are serious.....a "LOL" or a "HAHAHA" or a "J/K" usually follows a post of sarcasm...lol....Just saying, I know your not that dumb Danny but others who dont know you might actually think you are.....lol

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
when you post something like that above it doesn't leave much room for laughing since no one knows if you really are serious.....a "LOL" or a "HAHAHA" or a "J/K" usually follows a post of sarcasm...lol....Just saying, I know your not that dumb Danny but others who dont know you might actually think you are.....lol
I don't know Joey, from reading his post and seeing his sig line, he sounds alot like Kyle Busch in NASCAR... LOL :p

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Danny is a good guy and big race fan who was just backing up his buddy.An lol or jk definetly would have helped to convey any sarcasm.
I would say to anybody that wants to race Baja do it!You never know how long it will be around and you could miss out.
There are bad people everywhere and you could just as easily get car jacked in the US and have your stuff taken.
As a kid growing up they would show the Baja on wide world of sports and I couldnt believe people did this.When I got the opportunity to participate in this race there was no way I was going to miss it.
After being down there for 9 days prerunning my section 2-3 times,working on pre runners and race cars,sleeping 4-5 hrs a night,staying up 27 hrs chasing and driving,sleeping 3 hrs and then a 11 hour drive home I was prepared to never go down there again.
5 months later I was back for the 1000 and that time I was up for 40 hours during the race.Hopefully I get to do it again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000