Ave pure 175 April 4-6th

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Gentlemen:

Thank you for your candid opinions. Let me tackle a few things first:

1.) For the near future and for the PURE 175, the start will be single-car one every 15 seconds. In the future we may be able to do two-cars at one time every 15 or 30 seconds.

2.) Course markings: For this race we will go back to white and pink or red fluorescent ribbon, like before.You are right under certain light during the day, the ribbons were hard to see from a distance.

3.) With every "kml" file that we provide to racers for their GPSs, we will add warnings before ditches and major turns. We did this last race but apparently not enough.

4.) However, we will NOT post any course maps but provide same to each racer when checking-in before the race and during Mandatory Driver's Meeting.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

5.) Learn to race with your GPS otherwise and with your navigator, otherwise one day, we may be forced to include certain agencies in our racing program and the entry fee will sky-rocket like all others.

In speaking with SCORE, they, too, are contemplating reducing course markers and depending more on GPS mainly because of environmentalists in Baja, crowd control, people taking down course markers and Mother Nature doing its thing in general.

I know, I know, this would be a major change in the sport, but "necessity is the mother of invention," as they say.
I remember back in the mid-eighties when we started using radio communication in our races and in Baja. A lot of racers objected to the extra cost and weight in the car, but today we would not think twice about tackling a major off-road event without a radio.

Eventually, GPS systems will become part of the preparation and equipment in all off-road vehicles. "The times, they are a chang'n"

YOU SHOULD KNOW: We had our very first visit from the BLM on Sunday after the PURE 125 awards and that was the first time ever since we started putting on events in Cal City nine years ago. We just have to be smarter. We are doing nothing illegal but we do not want to wait months and even years to get permits.

6.) Lastly, I'm delighted to hear that the ISA will be there again. Surprised that they don't remember saying that they would do the technical inspection. No matter, by having experienced people with whom we can consult it will make it a lot easier for us.

FAIRNESS IN RACING is what we always aim to achieve, whether on the course, or with the equipment. We will arrive at a balance that we can all agree.

To that end, we want to inform you that Lois and I will be at the MINT 400 "Contingency Row" on Freemont Street with information about our events, flyers, entries, sponsorship, information about the CAL-CITY OFF-ROAD DAYS CELEBRATION - SEPT 5-7, information about CAL-CITY, and more importantly, ready to listen to what you'd like to see happen with our series. Please stop by.
I think at some point, soon, I would like to see a Competition Review Board or Commission to tackle matters prior to, during and post race.
The CRB or CRC would be made up of a Racer representative, Manufacturer rep, dealer rep and AVE official(s). Just an idea

Lou

P.S. I'd like to thank UTV Underground for putting AVE Racing along the other organizers when entering this forum. Thanks.

Attachments

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Kinda funny about the racing by GPS. On race dezert they're talking about taking GPS units out of the race vehicles for safety reasons and the faster classes driving by GPS in dust and creating a safety issue lol

Rancho Racing

Mar 8, 2014
Good post Lou thank you for updates. Now enough with the racing politics lets Race Already!! See you guys at the Pure 175!!

Lou see you at the mint 400. Helping out some buddys

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Good post Lou thank you for updates. Now enough with the racing politics lets Race Already!! See you guys at the Pure 175!!

Lou see you at the mint 400. Helping out some buddys
Great we will see you there. Right on, racing in the thing. I like that but we can't also burry our head in the silt. We must always be one step ahead to avoid being left in the dust.
I look forward to chatting with you guys.

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Stop by and see us at our booth at the Great American Race: THE MINT 400.
We'll sign you up right then and there and charge you the old rate AND INCLUDE A T-SHIRT with you entry.

Also fill out a short app form for the drawing of a FREE BASIC ENTRY. We will draw the name of the lucky winner at the end of Contingency day.

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
I have the old Baja 540, with a screen that is all scratched, more dust and dirt than an old-maid's undies, cables that are bent, snugged, twisted, you name it; and connectors that are held up with with duct tape. Regardless, we lay out courses with it, we fine-tune courses with it and we provide info on our courses with it. I would say, that old puppy still works fine.

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Great we will see you there. Right on, racing in the thing. I like that but we can't also burry our head in the silt. We must always be one step ahead to avoid being left in the dust.
I look forward to chatting with you guys.
Ahmnn! Bury!

Mar 7, 2012
menifee ca
Lou any idea on how you are going to do the start poisons? I was thinking what if we start where we finished last race, and for the new comers that missed the 1st race they can draw for there spots after the races that where there for round 1. What do you guy think?

Logan G.

Feb 20, 2012
Highland CA
Lou any idea on how you are going to do the start poisons? I was thinking what if we start where we finished last race, and for the new comers that missed the 1st race they can draw for there spots after the races that where there for round 1. What do you guy think?
X2!!!!!!!!!!!

Never happy

Jun 25, 2013
Obviously based on my results, I'm not a fan of that..... lol... But I'd really like to see the qualifying deal happen... It was supposed to happen on the last couple races and never did. I think that might help the spreading out on the course with the faster guys not bottle necking really quick off the start because of a "slower" car no offense to anyone racing just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 7, 2012
menifee ca
Obviously based on my results, I'm not a fan of that..... lol... But I'd really like to see the qualifying deal happen... It was supposed to happen on the last couple races and never did. I think that might help the spreading out on the course with the faster guys not bottle necking really quick off the start because of a "slower" car no offense to anyone racing just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't mind qualifying. I was looking forward to eat at the last race. I think the reason we didn't is because it was to much for Lou to handle. He would have to set up a whole other course and it would have to be held on fri in case something happens to a car during qualifying we will have time to work on it before sat. But I would really like to see either or happen and I don't mind either way. I think qualifying would be really fun.

PCI Race Radios

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jun 29, 2011
Long Beach, CA
www.pciraceradios.com
I have the old Baja 540, with a screen that is all scratched, more dust and dirt than an old-maid's undies, cables that are bent, snugged, twisted, you name it; and connectors that are held up with with duct tape. Regardless, we lay out courses with it, we fine-tune courses with it and we provide info on our courses with it. I would say, that old puppy still works fine.
Now that is a well used GPS, good to see it is still working out for you.

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
We're delighted to report:

THE WEATHERMAN PCI CREW TO HANDLE PURE "175" RADIO COMMUNICATIONS

PCI will be open for business on Friday night before the race. THEY will have technicians on hand to help with any radio tuning, GPS questions and sales.

At 7:00 PM PCI would like to invite all racers to a BBQ and bonfire.

PCI's Rhiannon will be running the Weatherman Relay during the race, which will be available to use for all racers. She will give a brief presentation at the drivers meeting, Saturday at 10 am, about radio etiquette and how to utilize the weatherman channel during the race.

For info and to make requests contact:
Alon Mahller
PCI Race Radios
562-427-8177
2888 Gundry Ave
Signal Hill, CA 90755

www.pciraceradios.com

May 6, 2013
Yucaipa , Ca
PCI coming is going to be awesome ! Great to see additional help out there. I need to set up an appointment and get some new frequencies programmed into the radio. I also need a base camp antenna setup.

PCI Race Radios

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jun 29, 2011
Long Beach, CA
www.pciraceradios.com
PCI coming is going to be awesome ! Great to see additional help out there. I need to set up an appointment and get some new frequencies programmed into the radio. I also need a base camp antenna setup.
No need for an appointment, just come on by any time Friday and we'll get you set up. We are hoping to be there and set up by 3:00.

That is pretty awesome. Hope they can teach me how to work my GPS lol. Can't wait for the Bon fire.
Of course we can teach you how to use your GPS!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000