ATV Television -Anti-UTV stand

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
ATV Television -Anti-UTV stand

I've had it, this guy has to be stopped.In a simply astounding blog post, ATV Television host Doug Meyer has come out swinging in an attempt to force UTVs off of the Paiute ATV Trail system.
Read it here:
http://atvtelevision.blogspot.com/2012/02/future-of-paiute-trail-system.html

In effect he says UTVs are ruining the trail and they must be banned before the trail system is destroyed.
He goes so far as to say that the damage UTVs are causing in Moab and Imperial Dunes and to the Paiute will result in them being shut down.
He defines UTVs as "incredibly high-speed vehicles that have in turn increased both personal injuries and ecological damage multifold".

His parting shot is a clear indication that he thinks UTV owners are simply a bunch of speed freaks ruining the scenery of the Paiute Trail.

"All this is said not because of my preference for ATVs over UTVs, but rather my preference for scenic trails for exploration over trails used for high-speed entertainment." -Doug Meyer

This isn't just a one time blog post, he has taken this argument to the US Forrest Service that manages the Paiute Trail.
He has been a vocal opponent of the UTV Jamboree held each year on the Paiute (utvjam.com), last year urging the city of Marysvale to ban the event.

I can tell you first hand UTVs are not creating a problem on this trail system, Doug just hates UTVs.

The amazing thing here is that this guy makes a living largely from UTVs. One look at all of his latest video you see its all about UTVs. I see him wheeling around in UTVs he has been given for FREE all the time.
I think its time Polaris, Yamaha, Kawasaki and the rest of the manufacturers stop giving this guy free product to use in his business.

We have enough problems with environmentalists trying to shut us down, we don't need the media that pretends to represent us doing it.
I think its time we let him know we don't appreciate the way he is dogging us.

Please send emails to the media contacts and tell them to stop supporting a guy who doesn't support this sport.
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Well he certainly is generating traffic to his site. LOL. Seems a better stance would be education that the trail will support under 50" machines rather than UTV owners are the devil. Coming from the Rock crawler scene I like the smaller environmental footprint my UTV leaves on places like Moab. Hard to imagine the SXS's screwing up Moab.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
ATVTVCOM's Channel - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/4x4TVTV

I thought I recognized the name, Doug used to host 4x4tv on the Outdoor channel before he was doing this ATV thing. He covered my early CRCA Rock Crawling Comps. He is an all right guy. I don't agree with his blog, but he raises a valid point that if larger than 50" vehicles keeping running the trails they will risk losing them in some cases.

I still disagree strongly with his Moab, and Glamis connection. UTV's are a much smaller impact then Rock Buggies, and Sand Buggies. Both of which are legal forms of recreation at both locations.

Unification of motorized recreation is what we need, not finger pointing, and selling out.

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
Exactly Jeff.

I am sure that over on some Equestrian blog someone is advocating banning ATVs from the same trail system.

It simply a matter of Doug painting UTV owners as evil doers.

He is drawing all sorts of loose connections between all the bad things that happen in offroading and connecting them to UTVs.
A shame really, he is in a position to do the right thing but he cant see it.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Exactly Jeff.

I am sure that over on some Equestrian blog someone is advocating banning ATVs from the same trail system.

It simply a matter of Doug painting UTV owners as evil doers.

He is drawing all sorts of loose connections between all the bad things that happen in offroading and connecting them to UTVs.
A shame really, he is in a position to do the right thing but he cant see it.

Fun to watch him argue with people posting on his blog. :D I am a big advocate for education over closures. We have areas in California that are closed that get used illegally on a regular basis. Makes no sense to me what so ever. They can't enforce a closure if their lives depended on it. (They meaning our lovely Gov't.)

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
Looks like he figured he was losing his argument and removed all of his replies to the comments made by readers.

I guess that goes to the adage "its better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Posted a comment.

Our community needs to learn that the environmentalist are a united front that don't wasted their time compartmentalizing swapland over meadows. Until the off-road community learns that, just becuase you can't fathom why someone rock crawls or rides horseback, it doesn't make what you enjoy any better or worse. Publis lands are just that, PUBLIC. They need to be maintained for all to use.

What Doug seems to forget in his ranting, is that is order to have unlimited freedom, one must posses the tolerance to accept that freedom:

"Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them."

the_owl

Oct 14, 2011
You should have seen all his responses before he deleted them, and deleted other posts he didnt like. A cowardly way to run a blog. Especially for someone as "seasoned" as he.

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
In effect he is calling for the Paiute to structure itself in a way that pretty much precludes UTV riders from wanting to ride here.

I think that is very divisive, and the last thing we need in this industry is for our own media representatives to be creating a divided and conquer scenario.

Basically Doug doesn't like UTVs, I'm fine with that. What I don't like is the way he is calling for the Paiute Trail to adopt a strategy that will essentially keep UTV riders from the Paiute. Regardless of how you might feel about ATVs vs UTVs the simple math is that UTVs are a growing segment and they represent a MUCH needed economic impact that Doug is simply willing to abandon to get what he wants.

Frankly I don't think this blog entry has anything to do with saving the trail and everything to do with Doug.

This is my response to his blog:

Doug, this is what you have said. UTVs are to the Paiute Trail as Extreme Rock Buggies and super fast sand rails are to Glammis. Ergo we need to do something to stop the extreme damage being caused to the Paiute by these UTVs. So your answer to that is to limit UTV access by making the trail width exclude them, then they wont come to the Paiute.

You specifically call for this saying the main Paiute loop should be 50". You know that these few 50" sections on the Paiute are the ones that make it unpleasant for UTV riders on the Paiute and you want to make it as unpleasant as possible so that the people you don't like will find somewhere else to ride.

I find your efforts to divide this industry for your own personal agenda sad. This is NOT about saving the trail, its about Doug.

You know full well that UTVs are not destroying the Paiute and that the Paiute is not under the kinds of pressures or environmental threats as Moab and Glammis simply because it is a well managed trail system and you also know that IF the Paiute opens a FEW 50" trails to wider vehicles that this does not pose any more risk to the environment and certainly does not create anywhere near the concerns that Moab and Glammis deal with.

The way you categorically designate UTVs as THE vehicle that will ultimately destroy the Paiute is patently misguided.

Kenny Lone

Feb 16, 2012
I've know Doug for a few years now and have spent a lot of time riding with him out on the trails.

Your claim for his hatred towards UTVs and their owners is news to me.

Maybe it was the personal attacks on him that caused him to delete some of the posts. Name calling and attacking him personally is pretty low and uncalled for not to mention childish.

I do agree with Doug that the Paiute Trail is no place for the RZR 900s and the other all out UTVs and I also agree that the 50" trails need to stay at 50".

A lot of folks read a lot more into what he said than what I did and a lot of folks got their panties soo wadded up I doubt they can even walk straight.

Like someone had mentioned not every trail is or will be accessable by every OHV.

Have you read his latest blog?? Have you left a comment??

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
I've read his blog and I've also commented and for the life of me I can't figure out where he's coming from.
I have both a rhino and a grizzly and they have the same footprint and do the same damage to the trails.
There's always going to be those guys who will tear up trails wether they're on ATV's or UTV's. He makes no sense.
Just who's side is he on anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
Well Kenny you can only comment on his blog now AFTER he approves your comment. So much for an open dialogue.

Clearly Doug only wants his opinion and those that agree with him posting on his blog.

Not a problem, your welcome to say what you like here. The Underground does not have policy of deleting posts from people with opinions that differ from theirs.

I'm sorry to hear that you also think the XP900 has no place on the Paiute.
How you and Doug come to this conclusion is a pure mystery to me.

90% of the Paiute is much wider than the few 50" trails we have.
So why can't an XP900 belong here as well as any other vehicle.

Your own prejudice is showing.

Kenny Lone

Feb 16, 2012
yes, I'm predjudice about turning the Paiute Trail into a race track.

You know I live here and I see it with my own eyes.

I experience it and don't have to read about it in a forum or in someones blog.

I guess a lot of folks don't see a problem with some of these machines hauling ass down the back roads and there are certain "groups" that do it more than others.

It's more the individuals than a particular machine and yes I am profiling from experience.

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
So let me get this straight Kenny.

You think UTVs riders are all just a bunch of speed junkies that are turning the Paiute into a race track??

Is that why you think XP900s have no place on the Paiute?

I wonder have you ever seen an guy on a sport quad or a Rengade doing the speed thing?
Maybe a Motorcycle going over the speed limit??

I'm sure you always keep your quad under the official 25mph limit don't you?

the_owl

Oct 14, 2011
No one except his sock puppet account of "Dan" did any name calling.

You cant expect a blog to go out like that calling for
The decision to maintain the original intent of the Paiute Trail system and promote it as a 50” only riding area is a decision that should have been made several years ago, before the extensive promotion of the area to the UTV market. While the system can still be restored to its original intent, every year that the area continues to promote itself to the non-ATV market, the harder it will be to reverse that decision.
and not get backlash from a community of responsible offroaders.
I suspect this is Dougy's sock puppet account on UU
I've know Doug for a few years now and have spent a lot of time riding with him out on the trails.

Your claim for his hatred towards UTVs and their owners is news to me.

Maybe it was the personal attacks on him that caused him to delete some of the posts. Name calling and attacking him personally is pretty low and uncalled for not to mention childish.

I do agree with Doug that the Paiute Trail is no place for the RZR 900s and the other all out UTVs and I also agree that the 50" trails need to stay at 50".

A lot of folks read a lot more into what he said than what I did and a lot of folks got their panties soo wadded up I doubt they can even walk straight.

Like someone had mentioned not every trail is or will be accessable by every OHV.

Have you read his latest blog?? Have you left a comment??

Redman

MadMan
Apr 14, 2009
Kenny and I know each other, he's not Doug.
But apparently they share the same hatred of UTVs for the same unfounded reasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000