Arctic Cat Arctic Cat Wildcat Test Rides Thanksgiving Weekend

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Several new Wildcats were available for test drives Saturday and Sunday out of the vendor area at Glamis. The rides were pretty short but I think it was enough to show some strengths as well as some trade offs.

Overall I was very impressed. ;)

To start with, the seating position is low (that is a good thing) and the steering wheel is right where it needs to be. This is specifically noted because when sitting in most Side x Sides, the steering wheel is too far away and your arms are stretched out completely. I like the shifter mechanism. My Polaris XP is very notchy and sometimes difficult to find the right gear. The Wildcat was easy to shift but had enough detent to feel each gear position. The seats are very comfortable and natural feeling. The seats also have an insert below the headrest that facilitate adding 5 point harnesses which is cool. I really like the doors! I like their looks, fit, etc. I also like the visibility over the front of the car and through the door cutouts. The button that releases the latch mechanism seemed to hang up with sand occasionally. I would imagine they'll have a countermeasure for that coming.

All of the new Wildcats are going to have electric power steering. Like most other OEM EPS systems, the steering assist is variable based on speed. More assistance at low speed and less at higher speed. That said, the steer effort is very light. Maybe too light for my preference. A longer time behind the wheel might change my opinion on that.

The radiator and oil cooler seem larger than an OEM would normally use, I like that. The radiator also has twin electric SPAL fans which are GREAT fans.
The wheels are 14" and I like the look of larger wheels on these machines that have more wheel travel. It seems to fit the vehicle aesthetically. The tires are made by Vision and have a flat profile. These had already been abused at Barstow and aren't exactly sand tires but they worked ok given the conditions.

The suspension is quite impressive for a showroom stock vehicle! After a short driving period to get a feel for the handling, I promptly flat footed the throttle through the sand highway whoops near the entrance to Oldsmobile hill and past the tree area heading West. These whoops are NOT small if you know the area. The longer wheelbase helped reduce the front to rear pitching and there was little tendency to kick up in the rear. I also drove it through the whoops while moderating the throttle, timing the acceleration relative to the whoops. Even when "under speed" to get on top of the rough terrain, it never got out of shape or did anything to alarm me. At the same time, it also did NOT bottom out excessively or feel harsh.
After running up the whoops for a distance, I turned left and ran the small dunes just on the South side of sand highway back towards the vendor area. Overall it was pleasing to drive but I felt that it would need to be stiffened up for hard charging in the dunes. This was mostly on g-outs and transitions. In this case, I could feel the rear suspension bottom out but not excessively so. It also had a bit more body roll that i'd like when throwing it sideways into an aggressive turn. However, for a duner that doesn't drive aggressively it will be just fine as is.

The engine was responsive and deceptively smooth. The power seems to be very linear and lacks excitement. I think that linear character combined with the above average suspension make the engine feel weaker than it actually is. Being an engine tinkerer, I also think it will be relatively easy to turn this engine into a screamer if desired. We will be working on this asap!

All in all, it is an exciting time to be involved with Side x Sides! Despite the weak global economy, MFRs are coming out with phenominal new vehicles like the Wildcat and giving enthusiasts what they are asking for. I know Benchmark will be picking up a Wildcat and we're genuinely excited about it!

If you drove one, what did you think?
So who else drove one? :cool:

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I got to test drive one also! Very comfy, easy steering, took the terrain we were allowed to take it on awesome. Need 2 hours in it to really get the total feel.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
AC is having an event at Speedworld this weekend, might head out with my buddy and check it out!

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I've been waiting for all the information on the Wildcat! The 5" lower seat height, longer wheelbase, and 18" travel sealed the deal!!! Their XTZ goes 75 mph. These demo's are only doing 72. So I know the production units will do better than 75. Intake, exhaust, and efi tuner, + clutch work & I'll be having fun! :):):)

Sent from my DROIDX

wallyworld

Sidexside Outfitterz / Wally World Designs - Offic
May 15, 2009
oakhills ,ca.
Having spent 5days in the saddle of one particular WildCat. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt the suspension is superior to
anything that has graced our presence since the introduction
of the first rhino. Our sport is now evolving at a rapid pace
and will continue to do so. Thanks to all who have participated
in making it happen.

RoadRage

Nov 30, 2011
Yuma, AZ
www.fasteddiesrc.com
Great write up. I assume that the Wildcat will compare closely to the XP, right? One of my biggest issues with the XP is the tiny cockpit. How does the overall room in the Wildcat compare?

I own a Commander, which I am extremely happy with, but I am one who is willing to trade the suspension for what I gain in comfort, ergonomics, and storage. I have a friend who is looking to buy something, but I don't think he knows for sure what he wants. How do you think the Wildcat will perform on the desert trails in AZ? Is it strictly a duning machine? We ride around 80% desert/20% dunes.

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
Great write up. I assume that the Wildcat will compare closely to the XP, right? One of my biggest issues with the XP is the tiny cockpit. How does the overall room in the Wildcat compare?

I own a Commander, which I am extremely happy with, but I am one who is willing to trade the suspension for what I gain in comfort, ergonomics, and storage. I have a friend who is looking to buy something, but I don't think he knows for sure what he wants. How do you think the Wildcat will perform on the desert trails in AZ? Is it strictly a duning machine? We ride around 80% desert/20% dunes.
THE CONCENSOUS IS THE SUSPENSION IS GREAT BUT NEEDS MORE POWER. THE CAN AM HAS THE BEST SEATING & ERGOS IN A SIDEXSIDE I HAVE EVER BEEN IN. I HAVE NOT DRIVEN ONE BUT I SIT ONE. (CAN-AM) ALL AROUND MACHINE THE XP SEEMS TO BE THE TICKET. IT SEEMS LIKE THEY HAVE A TENDANCY TO ROLL OVER FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING. MAYBE THE SUE HAPPY LAWYERS WILL LEAVE YAMAHA ALONE NOW. PAPA BEAR & ROG HAVE NOT ROLLED THEIR'S BUT CISCO HAS & SO HAVE @ LEAST 3 CUSTOMERS FROM BLACK RHINO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000