Arctic Cat and Mint 400

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
I am surprised more of you don't already know this. But Robby builds the chassis and some of the trick parts for the speedcat. It's 100% based off all the mounting points of the production car. It's just built to pass tech inspection in BITD and SCORE. It's got a race legal chassis and cage and fuel system. It has bad ass suspension parts and an alternator and all the nav stuff already wired. They wanted to build a car you can buy and finance on Thursday, put number plates on it and roll thru tech on Friday, and be race legal to race on Saturday. Yes $77,000 is high. But it's a legit build. Robby builds the chassis in house the frames are sent to Arctic cat and Arctic cat assembles the machine per order. That's what I was told but I am definitel not necessarily in the loop on who does the wiring and all. I know Robby builds the chassis but they go back to arctic cat. And arctic cat will assign it a vin. And it's a production race ready machine. It's a turbo Yamaha with 220hp and a better start to the clutch than anyone else has tried so far. Yes it's still a belt. And yes they are pretty awfully clutches. They still blow belts even with the cover off which can be easily fixed because the diameter of the clutches and throw ratio it has, it's going to be easy to make it hold a belt if the cover is designedly properly for air flow. I can clutch one and make it rock. With the gearing in the trans and clutch overdrive ratio it's geared to run 100. Robby played with the gearing in the trans and has had one well over 100 but with the cost of it eating belts because the gearing was too high in the trans. Now he has a much better overdrive ratio and it should rock when it's clutched properly. They've had a snowmobile clutch tuner doing all the work. And sleds and a Utv are simply different and have different clutch requirements. It can work. And it will work.

The NA production car is a factory built chassis that's identical to robbys just made at arctic cat. More stamped stuff rather than hand shaped chromoly. It's a production car that has robbys suspension and a powerful NA engine.

Right now it's a little more hush hush but in two months the turbo version is supposed to be released to the public.

On to belt systems. You can look at the advancements in the Utv industry lately. The suspension. The power. The stronger drivelines. These machines are going faster than ever. And yes if you don't get the clutch figured out you will hate yourself and want to burn your machine. But luckily there is one company that specializes in true desert race clutch setups. And my support to the many teams that run my stuff is second to none. The belt issues are virtually over with. The setup we developed for the NA XP1000 will literally fire belt issues. The few cars that run out full desert race setup have been literally bullet proof. Not one single belt blown in any race by any of those customers in two years. Same with the turbo maverick. We supported nearly every single maverick turbo team the last two years and the only two belts that were blown between all those teams, both had a reason and it was mechanical not clutching specific. The XPTurbo, these guys are literally blazing fast and setting mind boggling paces in these races with no belt issues once they are properly clutches. I have developed a setup and certain guidelines that if you do and follow with my setup you can virtually forget about belt issues. The new X3 as well. I have them figured out so well I think you can forget about a belt problem. It's taken a tremendous amount of time to learn the trick to desert race clutching but I can guarantee you the teams that come to me have flawless races without worrying about the belt constantly. The belt drive is quite easy. And extremely cheap from a manufacturers standpoint. The OEMs love the belt drive. It's fast. It's easy. It works. And it's cheap.

Yamaha trans was a joke when it came out. 80% of the first 6 months sales didn't make 300 miles before the clutch burnt up. And there weren't any fixes from Yamaha in sight. The aftermarket has to step up and make them reliable. You can shift it. And don't have a belt to get hot. But in racing, a cat is faster. Folks wanna look at the short course results and say the Yamaha shifter trans wins those races. WRONG the suspension geometry makes them win races. They take corners at 10+mph faster than any other machine. You can be flat out doing all your Polaris can handle and the Yamaha come drive right around you inside or outside in a corner. They set the weight perfectly and the wheel base and suspension geometry puts the weight in the right place and steers those things like a shifter cart. Shifting the trans doesn't make them fast. Their suspension allows them to take corners faster than anything else. But in woods racing and cross country racing and endurance racing and even desert racing, you can clearly see that the Yamaha is barely better than a fluke. They couldn't win a race to save their life. Hanging a banked corner at 60mph is one of the things they are good at. In an endurance race series, we have a pro lite and pro2 trophy truck driver that comes and races for fun and practice. He used to run the Polaris. And he was fast. Nobody could touch him if the car held together. Literally faster than anybody can imagine. Held the lap record at my track for two years. In a bone stock xo1000 and my clutch work. But the car falls apart around him in a 1 hour race. So this last year they went to Yamaha and got 2. He and his also pro driver dad worked on them and hired shock tuners and suspension guys and did everything they could to make it handle like they wanted. Last year at one of the cross country courses that also incorporates an old motor cross track that's been modified for UTV. While they were racing, going flat out in his Yamaha, this pro driver was getting his ass handed to him by a Rzr 900 with motor work and clutch work. I don't mean like hanging close and hard racing. I mean like skull drug and in 10 laps would have gotten lapped. In woods racing and cross country racing they don't work. They are geared too tall. The shifter makes you take your hand off the wheel. It's suspension geometry make it awkward in the rough stuff. They appeal to a great number of guys. The xyz forums are full of brand loyal lynch mob mentality Kinda guys who will execute you for saying a negative word about their beloved machine. They are good for some things. But that trans don't make them faster. A cvt is faster in every way.

RGM builds ALL the speedcats, the frame is based off a OEM cat frame but its not a frame from cat. AC builds nothing on the cars in TRF. RGM is also handling all the clutching - no one from the factory R&D staff was involved.

Nothing is hush hush about the turbo - it was said Monday at the dealer meetings that it would be produced and to the public in the fall and there would be 64 and 77" variations of that car.

The NA car has a crazy low inital drive ratio - it will get off the line and get in front of the turbos both canam and polaris - where the turbos make up for it is mid range power (when the turbos spooled) but if you have car lengths on them its a moot point both top out at similar speeds - if you have a 2 car length lead then your turbo is going to have to play catch up before it hits top speed if the turbo takes 6 seconds to hit 80mph and the cat does it in 5 guess what ones faster regardless of the turbo aspect..

For those saying the CVT isn't superior to the Yamaha trans. - The Yamaha trans has to climb the gear to hit peak hp rpm - the new cat hits peak hp rpm the minute you step on the gas causing it to accelerate like no other. the belt of the current wildcat will not fit around the secondary of the new XX.. 13.5" ctc and clutches almost twice the size of before = zero belt failures in thousands of miles in testing. They were running these cars in California for the past two years and can count the belt failures on one hand..

Motor in the YXZ vs the cat are similar but not the same, internals of the cat are beefed up for boost from the factory. They took the YXZ base and took tech that cat had provided to yamaha (to get the turbo motor to hold up) from the Sidewinder/Thundercat motor and applied it into the XX then timing , compression and valve train changes equates to the 130hp with an EXTREMELY choked up exhaust.

The YXZ's competition success can largely be attributed to its racers - when you pull extremely talented drivers like the Wellers , and Dustin nelson that have multiple SR1 titles under their belt and put them into a car that is a some what production SR1 - you should see those championships. There is a reason however why you can go to the majority of the dealers in the US and walk out with a YXZ for 15k - its a limited market vs the ease of the cvt.

PickupTrucker

Dec 20, 2013
Duvall, Washington
CVT is definitely technology that is worth the constant development, with the whole peak rpm/any speed thing. I used to think it lame you can't shift, and I thought it was a toy transmission when Dodge put it in cars, then I saw a snowmobile on a dragstrip, and it all started making sense

Bricoop

Jan 8, 2017
RGM builds ALL the speedcats, the frame is based off a OEM cat frame but its not a frame from cat. AC builds nothing on the cars in TRF. RGM is also handling all the clutching - no one from the factory R&D staff was involved.

Nothing is hush hush about the turbo - it was said Monday at the dealer meetings that it would be produced and to the public in the fall and there would be 64 and 77" variations of that car.

The NA car has a crazy low inital drive ratio - it will get off the line and get in front of the turbos both canam and polaris - where the turbos make up for it is mid range power (when the turbos spooled) but if you have car lengths on them its a moot point both top out at similar speeds - if you have a 2 car length lead then your turbo is going to have to play catch up before it hits top speed if the turbo takes 6 seconds to hit 80mph and the cat does it in 5 guess what ones faster regardless of the turbo aspect..

For those saying the CVT isn't superior to the Yamaha trans. - The Yamaha trans has to climb the gear to hit peak hp rpm - the new cat hits peak hp rpm the minute you step on the gas causing it to accelerate like no other. the belt of the current wildcat will not fit around the secondary of the new XX.. 13.5" ctc and clutches almost twice the size of before = zero belt failures in thousands of miles in testing. They were running these cars in California for the past two years and can count the belt failures on one hand..

Motor in the YXZ vs the cat are similar but not the same, internals of the cat are beefed up for boost from the factory. They took the YXZ base and took tech that cat had provided to yamaha (to get the turbo motor to hold up) from the Sidewinder/Thundercat motor and applied it into the XX then timing , compression and valve train changes equates to the 130hp with an EXTREMELY choked up exhaust.

The YXZ's competition success can largely be attributed to its racers - when you pull extremely talented drivers like the Wellers , and Dustin nelson that have multiple SR1 titles under their belt and put them into a car that is a some what production SR1 - you should see those championships. There is a reason however why you can go to the majority of the dealers in the US and walk out with a YXZ for 15k - its a limited market vs the ease of the cvt.
Thanks for the great insight. Did you work on the development?

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
Thanks for the great insight. Did you work on the development?
We had a car last march we were working on then took a break when Torc announced the UTV race program and started developing a program for that so we had some of the learning curve on setups out of the way for this year.

We have cars on order and should get them in the next week or two so we can start building them for the first Torc race. Alot of work to do in 2 months.

Reactions: Bricoop

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
So instead of wishing & waiting for a better OEM trans, why not advance the transmissions technology yourself? I know the UTV class is still new and most racing a UTV do not know much more then the UTV class. But look outside the box, as I like to say. Do you really think the limited VW classes are running VW trans internals? There not! The case is VW the internals are bad ass parts! Who is building the internals for the VW boxes? What about Fortin, Mendeola, Weddle, Xtrac etc.. And that's just the off road industry.

I know some UTV teams are starting to play with Cryogenics and that's cool. But why not reach out to trans & gear builders and talk to them. Show them what's inside a CVT trans and work with them to build better parts with better material. Maybe there's an opportunity to play with gear ratios? The UTV racing class is big enough and the aftermarket industry is even bigger, for them to see a future and profit in the UTV industry. So make some calls!
Top UTV teams have been having gears, bearings and all sorts of hot rod internals being placed into their transmissions for a while now. Cryotreat has also been going on for at least a few seasons.

Mark Holz has some tricks. I know weddle was doing some stuff. UTV Inc, etc etc.

Reactions: kornfed

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Anyway... BITD made the call to NOT let the Speedcat race the production class at Mint from what I was told.

To clarify my early post. To just let the Speedcat race without the actual wildcat XX being available to public is against the premise of the "production" class. Just seems like they have been rushing this whole thing out without it even being officially released yet. It's still weird to me.

With all that said. Definitely looks like a rad vehicle.

Finally: if everyone could stop referring to everything as a game changer that would be great lol

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Top UTV teams have been having gears, bearings and all sorts of hot rod internals being placed into their transmissions for a while now. Cryotreat has also been going on for at least a few seasons.

Mark Holz has some tricks. I know weddle was doing some stuff. UTV Inc, etc etc.
I guess we are behind the curve then....our tranny is stock with the exception of a few bearings. K.I.S.S

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
During the buyout there was a "changing of the guards" per say at Arctic Cat. At a vintage snowmobile event earlier this winter the new President of Arctic Cat was there amongst our group and said that at their first executive meeting under Textron ownership that Arctic Cats R&D budget was immediately tripled.......things could get interesting.
Hope you are right because Arctic Cats customer support is the worst I have ever experienced. I would NEVER buy another AC product from the old management. We just went through a 3 year fight on warranty issue with AC on a Wildcat. We have the luxury of having several UTV's so it wasn't as bad for us, but if this was my only ride I'd have lost my shit over it. Leaking engine block should not take 3 years to fix and in the end we had to still repair stuff ourselves... Building a badass machine is cool, backing it up with parts supply and standing behind the vehicles is just as important. All our local AC dealers openly acknowledge that they suck at the later two.

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
Anyway... BITD made the call to NOT let the Speedcat race the production class at Mint from what I was told.

To clarify my early post. To just let the Speedcat race without the actual wildcat XX being available to public is against the premise of the "production" class. Just seems like they have been rushing this whole thing out without it even being officially released yet. It's still weird to me.

With all that said. Definitely looks like a rad vehicle.

Finally: if everyone could stop referring to everything as a game changer that would be great lol
What do you mean Joey, when someone comes out with a 5 link car with 3 more inches of travel and just leap frogged the competition with 5 hp and Bold new graphics its not a "game changer" lol I'm shocked.

Hope you are right because Arctic Cats customer support is the worst I have ever experienced. I would NEVER buy another AC product from the old management. We just went through a 3 year fight on warranty issue with AC on a Wildcat. We have the luxury of having several UTV's so it wasn't as bad for us, but if this was my only ride I'd have lost my shit over it. Leaking engine block should not take 3 years to fix and in the end we had to still repair stuff ourselves... Building a badass machine is cool, backing it up with parts supply and standing behind the vehicles is just as important. All our local AC dealers openly acknowledge that they suck at the later two.
I found that its hit and miss with that and its largely attributed to the dealers - I had a motor and front diff warrantied out of my factory warranty period long before my relation with cat - they denied the claim my dealer went to bat for me and it was fixed within the month on both. It sucks hearing about experiences like yours when you know there's been a lot of disconnect between dealers and the company (and it doesn't help the company wont talk to an individual) but it sounds like the restructuring will bring better dealer and customer relations with the company. They had a lot of info shared at the dealer meetings the other week that put a lot of uneasiness to rest.

Biggest hangup right now is the change in management and all the red tape otherwise the machines would be on their way to dealers now parts are available for the 2 seat xx and machines are being built.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Bill@Jaggedx

Mar 8, 2017
What I don't understand is why one of the geniuses out here doesn't use the open rules in the Unlimited class to actually build a "game....wait uhhh.... A "super UTV". The unlimited rules allow for all kinds of engine/tranny combinations and a full tube chassis that has virtually no restrictions. Build a vehicle to go win the overall. There a a ton of talented builders out there who seem to have an opinion on what will work but so far all the cars that have been built for the unlimited class have been really lack luster.
I don't know why RG & company doesn't just proudly enter the Unlimited class and hunt for the overall until such time that AC actually "produces" this Speed thing. and builds 1000 of them. (pretty sure that's what the BITD rules say). It looks like the speed cat still has a few issues based on the DNF rate so far I think Creed finished Parker but all the cars in Mexico had problems and it looks like PJ had problems at the Mint.

Whats the slogan Joey? Design-Build-Race

Reactions: kornfed and JoeyD23

Bricoop

Jan 8, 2017
What I don't understand is why one of the geniuses out here doesn't use the open rules in the Unlimited class to actually build a "game....wait uhhh.... A "super UTV". The unlimited rules allow for all kinds of engine/tranny combinations and a full tube chassis that has virtually no restrictions. Build a vehicle to go win the overall. There a a ton of talented builders out there who seem to have an opinion on what will work but so far all the cars that have been built for the unlimited class have been really lack luster.
I don't know why RG & company doesn't just proudly enter the Unlimited class and hunt for the overall until such time that AC actually "produces" this Speed thing. and builds 1000 of them. (pretty sure that's what the BITD rules say). It looks like the speed cat still has a few issues based on the DNF rate so far I think Creed finished Parker but all the cars in Mexico had problems and it looks like PJ had problems at the Mint.

Whats the slogan Joey? Design-Build-Race
They did that at Parker, I's guess the Speedcat77 was probably on loan to PJ, maybe he didn't have the ability to make that call? I don't know. In Parker Sheldon finished 1st ans the 8 year-old finished 3rd (that's still weird to type). Sheldon's time would have been good enough for 6th, 20 mins off the winner, in the turbo class. Started near last and didn't have a clean run. Not bad for their second race for a machine that is reportedly stock($75K?).

I believe their first race was the B1K, which might have been optimistic. I sure hope they race them in more unlimited races if it takes a while for them to get the OK from BITD to race in the Turbo Production.

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
We are building a truly unlimited car. It is stretched, it has 8 shocks, massive travel and complete custom front rear suspension. It is based upon a Yamaha Powerplant and Penhall is doing it end to end. It will be a game... Well you know. At least we hope it will. I guarantee it is nothing like you have ever seen. Yamaha power and custom everything else. Hopefully ready for UTV Worlds. We basically said, fuck it, let's build something that the manufacturers did not. Here is a sneak peak picture You can see some of the cool stuff. More pictures coming in a few weeks.

Attachments

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
We are building a truly unlimited car. It is stretched, it has 8 shocks, massive travel and complete custom front rear suspension. It is based upon a Yamaha Powerplant and Penhall is doing it end to end. It will be a game... Well you know. At least we hope it will. I guarantee it is nothing like you have ever seen. Yamaha power and custom everything else. Hopefully ready for UTV Worlds. We basically said, fuck it, let's build something that the manufacturers did not. Here is a sneak peak picture You can see some of the cool stuff. More pictures coming in a few weeks.
Now this is something I'm looking forward to seeing! To bad tire size was not open in the Unlimited class!

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
Now this is something I'm looking forward to seeing! To bad tire size was not open in the Unlimited class!
Totally. Going to build it around the 32" tire we use on the Rustfish. It could easily take a 33 or even 35 the way it is setup. Might start breaking things though. Again it is very experimental. Axles, Hubs, Combos, CVs all custom. Might run this one in the US until we get this all figured out. Then hit Baja with it.... :)

Reactions: Bricoop

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Kornfed thats bad ass. You had me hooked at Penhall. I have always thought thier class 1 cars were so rad. I can only imagine what you guys will come up with. Be cool if you started a build thread.

Last edited:

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
Kornfed thats bad ass. You had me hooked at Penhall. I have always thought thier class 1 cars were so rad. I cant only imagine what you guys will come up with. Be cool if you started a build thread.
Let me talk to Kent and Craig about doing a build thread. Great idea. Kent and the Penhall crew are going mad scientist on this thing. Brought in some hardcore guys to do the suspension design. The shocks come in a couple of weeks. That is when it will really come together. Kent will be racing with Craig at UTV Worlds. That is going to be a crazy format for this car. Can't wait...

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
That is awesome. This is what I would do if I could. Is it going to be 4wd?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
For sure yes 4wd. It is Yamaha end to end for drivetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats awesome. I have always been a Yamaha fan and grew up racing and riding their dirt bikes and quads. When they introduced the YXZ I was very disappointed with the design although it is ok for short course. I would love to see a build thread if possible.

Reactions: kornfed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000