Another noob from Bakersfield

Wildhorse

Oct 26, 2015
Howdy all,

Just another guy here that tries to spend my spare time converting gasoline into noise. If there's dust kicked up in the process it's even better. I rode dirt bikes for about 40 years, but these days I like the cage and a cooler with drinks and lunch with me.

Best,
Bryan

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Hey Bryan, glad you found site and joined. Lots of good people and honest advice around here... hopefully you can mak one of the trips soon.

Garrett

Feb 26, 2014
Bakersfield
Welcome, lots of good times to be had with the folks on here. Don't be afraid to come along on some organized rides. There are a few Bako folks on here so you should be able to catch a local ride. Watch the la familia section for nearby rides and throw your name in the hat. All the rides are family friendly.

Wildhorse

Oct 26, 2015
Thanks guys. We're definitely looking forward to joining in on some of these rides. I've seen a few of your videos without realizing who you folks were and it looks like you all certainly know how to have a good time. Are most of these rides day trips, or are you typically camping?

Speaking of camping, we are in the middle of trying to decide between a motorhome or to go with a 5th wheel toy hauler which would require switching trucks since we currently have a gas powered Chevy with a small block. Both have advantages, but the motorhome might be a little more plush for the wife for the money and wouldn't require such a redo of our life to make it happen. I'd rather have the toy hauler though. I'm hoping to get some insights into this here as well here. I'm guessing that most of you gave been through all of this already.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I have a friend that went from a motor home to a toy hauler and is now going back to a motor home with a box trailer.

I personally have always used a toy hauler, but i do a lot of dry camping for hunting and things like that.

If you only going to be going to Glamis, and OHV type areas that are typically paved or have a decent road in and out i would think motor home and box trailer would be the way to go, if you planning on doing a lot of dry camping or going to very remote areas then i would choose toy hauler.

that is my .02

Wildhorse

Oct 26, 2015
I think we will be doing dry camping as well. I went looking at 5th wheels and trucks today. Ouch... This is going to be painful and my wife is in full retreat this afternoon. It'll take a little work from where I'm at right now to get her on board, but she usually just wants me to be happy. She's been through the boating and flying and biking and now is going to do this with me as well and that's just how it's going to be. Okay, that's enough tough talk, gotta go start begging and sniveling.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Close trips you can make a day trip, but most of the fun is around the campfire ;) plus if it's a long day, you don't have to load up and head home... personally went from dodge cummings dually and 36ft toyhauler to a cummings motorhome... it works for our family, and cheaper.... but the motorhome is older :/ either way, as long as you get out on the trail and are happy :)

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
i wouldn't shy away from buying a used motorhome or a used toy hauler.

There are some good deals out there if your patient and know what you want, A guy that is new to our group found a trailer that a lady had on her lot, she used it as a playroom for her grandkids and never towed it anywhere or used the generator...sold it to him for 1/2 price...your results may vary but there are good deals if you look.

Wildhorse

Oct 26, 2015
i wouldn't shy away from buying a used motorhome or a used toy hauler.

There are some good deals out there if your patient and know what you want, A guy that is new to our group found a trailer that a lady had on her lot, she used it as a playroom for her grandkids and never towed it anywhere or used the generator...sold it to him for 1/2 price...your results may vary but there are good deals if you look.
Good advice. Lots of learning to do still, and waves of questions popping into my mind is proving to be keeping Google busy while looking for answers. What length motorhome for example? Pop outs? How limiting are they when using parks? On and on it goes...

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I think under 34' you can go to all state and national parks... but who goes there, you cant ride ;) Our diesel pusher is a vintage 99 with a large family room slide, feels pretty big inside, wish the bathroom was bigger, but for the price, I couldn't beat it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000