Ain't Your Daddy's UTV

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
I finally got my new project home... 1989 FL400R Pilot...yes the original sport UTV. Picked it up last weekend down in Indy, got it to the shop and started the process of taking it down to the frame for a complete restoration/modification for some fun in the IATVHSS.

It got a little cold on the way home...

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Started taking the Pilot down to the frame... Found a few repairs made by the previous owner but so far everything looks good and solid.

Nets removed, plan is to relocate the radiator to the roll bar behind the driver's head...in clean air and away from the heat of the motor/exhaust.
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Overflow and fuel tank...Plan is to relocate the overflow and remove the fuel tank and drop in a custom tank that will hold more. Originally I was thinking a cylinder tank like I have seen a few of you here using but after talking with AJ from www.ajsoffroadarmor.com we want to keep the weight low so we might go verticle with the tank, tap it high and low to add a view tube so we can quickly check the fuel level.

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Rear suspension, drivetrain and frame looked pretty good...going to clean this up, fresh powder, add a new bumper, pull rope and rebuild the rear shocks...

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Seeing this scared the crap out of AJ and me... The only thing between my butt and tree stump or large rock is that stock seat...that my friends is a NO-GO! Plan here is to run a full length skid plate, change the stock seat to an aluminum pan racing seat. We're also going to add some type of firewall...AJ thinks we can move the seat back just a bit and pan around the exhaust...I have to admit, he's got some good ideas.

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Found a big ding...we'll replace this with a fresh tube...add a skid plate and it's good as new. This had to be a good size hit but we found nothing else bent in the frame alignment...

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks guys... It's going to be a fun project getting this rebuilt and up to race specs...

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I have raced against some of these in my Rhino at local races here in Arizona.Be prepared to have custom parts made when you brake stuff because many of these parts are no longer available from Honda.

stealth

Dec 5, 2009
How fast is a pilot compared to a rzrs or teryx? Faster / slower? How about on a run? Does it go about the same speed as a utv over the bumps?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
How fast is a pilot compared to a rzrs or teryx? Faster / slower? How about on a run? Does it go about the same speed as a utv over the bumps?
I am going to say stock for stock they are similar in speed.The modified ones I was racing were similar in speed to my 720 race Rhino.The handle and stop really well due to there light weight but arent great in the whoops.They also jump really nice and have less tendency to nose dive.I believe the one still racing here has a 500cc cylinder and is very comparable to a modified 800 RZR and not near as fast as my 916 Kawi at the local short course racing.

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
That is my thought...may lose it in the top end to highlty modified RZRs but in the woods racing of Iowa, we don't need topend...I'll have the advantage in the woods, tight corners...etc... I'm putting money into the suspension, adding clearance and a snooth bottom...having only 2WD, it's all about having clearance and power to weight...

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Over the weekend I purchased a set of front A-arms that are heavier, well built for the abuse I'll be putting this machine through...This will also allow me to bolt in a set of Elkas/remote rez that I had sitting on the shelf.

Not 100% sure about the rear set up yet...right looking at staying stock and looking at a way to do some sort of lift for the clearance I want...

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
Priority to the work is going by what we have to install for safety first...to pass the race inspections.

Here is seat that is going in, takes up less space than the stocker seat, thus giving me a couple of more inches of room...

Attachments

ktm265

Jan 26, 2012
I have extra space between the exhaust, motor and the back of the seat...Plan is to drop in a fire wall to keep me cool from the heat of the motor and pipe...

Attachments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000