a great weekend trip in the T4, Happy Jack, AZ

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
So with all of the B.S. floating around about don’t drive your T4 "your gonna die" crap. We still went out and had a great weekend with the T4.

We left early Friday morning from Mesa and after 2.5 hours we arrived at our camp spot. It was a little muddy on the road but it dried up by afternoon.

The kids goofed around and we made a tree swing. Well after each one fell off and cried we decided it was time to go for a ride.

We took off with the plan on going to Long Lake, well my poor map reading and me not knowing how to work my GPS we took a 3 hour detour through some nasty muddy trails.

Finally we got back on the main road we were looking for and made our way to Long Lake. The lake was huge and in a very open meadow with no trees. The water was a milky white for some reason.

One of the kids heard a hissing noise from Brians Rhino so we investigated. We found an X-acto knife blade in the tire, he must have picked it up on the boat ramp we drove down to see the water of Long lake. So we pulled out the blade and plugged the hole, then we headed back to camp.

Well on our way back my fuel was on the last bar and started blinking. I decided to ride until it sputtered then stop(111 miles from last fill up) and siphon some from Brian who had a full tank when we left. Stupid me didn’t fill up before we left, I figured I had 5/8ths of a tank and that should be enough. Well it was not enough.

We got back to camp just in time to make dinner and get inside before it rained. The temp was around 50* at night and nice to sleep with the windows open in the toy hauler.

Saturday we slept in until 8 and made breakfast, goofed around and finally left for a long ride to Blue Ridge reservoir. This time i had a good idea of the trails I wanted to go on and I also downloaded the GPS instruction manual on my Ipad, so I knew how to operate it.

Off we went towards Blue Ridge. We got there and found alot of kayaks in the water. The reservoir has a 10hp motor limit and has steep canyon walls. We walked down on steep rocky trail to the water and got close to the water. We seen the boaters playing on a log trying to roll it, well he spent most of his time in the water and not on the log.

After the big climb up the canyon trail back to the Utv's we had a quick sammich and walked to see the dam. It is said to be 160' tall and 6' wide at the top. On the down stream side of the dam there was alot of water breaks to slow the water. We also seen an eagle flying overhead.

We then walked back to the Utv's and took off for Moqui tower over by East Clear Creek. We walked up the 110 stairs to see the view and hummingbirds.

Then it was time to make it back and relax for the rest of the day. We took some major dirt roads back and rode in a little rain. It got cold and a little muddy.

About 5 miles from camp I decided to let my little one drive us home. She did great and even snuck up on some deer just off the trail. She did splash in a few big puddles of water and get mom wet, she thought that was so funny.

Sunday morning came and we packed up and headed down the hill to the 110* heat.

we had a great time in our non warranty fixed T4. Now i have to spend this weekend tearing the plastics off and cleaning all of the mud off.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Man that looks like a great time! My slight fear of heights reared it little head from the one picture! Kids, dirt and wheels are all a guy needs for a great day!

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Looks like a great time. Where abouts did you camp? I'm headed up north for labor day to ride and am always looking for a better spot.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Looks like a great time. Where abouts did you camp? I'm headed up north for labor day to ride and am always looking for a better spot.
about 1/2 mile north of the Happy Jack lodge. lots of areas to camp, get the new white map from the forest service at the Clints Well gas station.

phuggit

Broke
Feb 8, 2010
Great pics. That dam spillway is cool. It looks like they built it to somewhat resemble natural rock.

droidage.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000