All UTV's A ARM REPAIR

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
We banged up our a arm in the last race, and I thought it might be helpful for some to see the process of how to properly repair a damaged weldment. Note that the arms are 4130 boxed style, but also have a mild steel tubular sub-frame for extra durability. It is this frame that held the arm together after the impact that caused the damage. The damage occured in the final miles of the San Felipe 250, and would have sidelined us, or at least cost us our first win, if not for the sub-structure. The inner tubing that ties the inside edge of the weld bung directly to the outside uniball receiver was our saving grace. I used mild steel on this tube for malleability purposes. 4130 may have cracked at the weld whereas the mild steel, with its high yield to tensile gap, allowed the joint to flexx without sacrificing weld integrity. Notice how I added the back up plates to support the butt-welds. After welding, the end of the arm was stress relieved using a rosebud end on an oxy-acetylene torch until the welded area reached 1100 degrees F. The heat range for properly stress relieving 4130 is 1075-1150 deg. I do this process in the evening, with the lights out, so I can accurately see the proper dull cherry red glow of the metal indicating the desired temp range has been achieved. I know this color red from testing and practicing heating metal using digital pyrometers and Tempilsticks to confirm the intensity of the glowing material. If you build using chro-moly (4130 normalized) and don't stress relieve your weldments, then you are merely wasting expensive materials, and sacrificing weld integrity. In that case, you are better off using 1020 mild steel. It is nearly as strong as 4130 (tensile strength), but allows the welded joint much more elasticity before failing. Virtually making it as tough as chro-moly, but without the strict welding protocol requirements.

Last edited:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Thanks guys. Our car, and the journey it has brought me on, is an open book in this forum. There are no "taboo" areas or secrets that I do not disclose. I am happy to reply to any and all inquiries openly and honestly. When I built my first race car in 1989, I was hungry for information on how to, and what to do regarding materials selection and design guidelines. Without the internet to research and quickly learn the desired information, I purchased technical books and started reading. Indy car and formula 1, and SCCA. What ever I could get my hands on. I crossed over, to the best of my ability, all of that road car design data to the first race car (class 8 Ford truck with 1/4 eliptic rear springs) I built, and presto! An overall win on its first race out of the box. Ever since then, I have been eager to share my knowledge openly, in the attempt to help the next "green" fabricator speed up his or her learning process. Now that I am involved in racing again after a 20 year haitus, I look forward to sharing the experience to hopefully speed up that learning curve for others. I'm confident, and sometimes cocky or possibly even arrogant, but it is all presented without a smokescreen of any kind. So, ask, and enjoy.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Repair? you mean to tell me that you do just replace parts like that?;)
Being those are the original arms that I designed and built for the car, they were hand built, without patterns or jigs, and are asymmetrical. To build a new arm would take days! I am currently working on jigs for a comprehensive aftermarket kit based on the design we're running on the Monster Mav. With a jig, and digital file of the components to cut from, I'd be slammin' Sammy, building a new one in less than a day. Looking forward to racing with you guys at the Mint. Through rigorous testing, our slug is a bit more reliable than last season, so we should be able to keep in touch with the class of the field all day. Your build is moving along well by the way, whilst mine just sits and begs for my attention!. Does that CVT intake plenum/light box you designed only draw air from the bottom flanged holes, or is there additional ducting. Is the air mechanically pushed, or just naturally flows based on the "badass" intake plenum? I recently came across a fact that the Polaris can run run larger diameter clutches, resulting in higher top speeds, and less heat build up. Do you mind telling me the approximate diameters? Our top end on a good day, with the wind at our back, and the stars aligned is in the very low 70's, and the top speed in a sand wash is a pitiful 40 something m.p.h.!. As far as changing to larger clutch diameters, we're limited based on the Mavericks motor position relative to the floor plan. See you at the slots!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Now this is why i love this site. You get the real truth here.

So badass whats you plans for clutching?
It's THE CAR that's Badass, remember? Don't think we're not on it! With the help of Adam at Airdam, I welded and re-profiled the ends of these stock arms, from the stock clutch we are now running. I am amazed on how little of a change in this area can have such drastic resullts in performance. Suffice to say that after testing it on the car, we reverted back to a bone stock configuration for the San Felipe race! It is going to be a long journey, this clutch thing, but we are taking baby steps to assure reliability and quantifiable results. Our #1 goal this season is not to fall victim to any "race-ending" failures. To finish every mile of every race we enter. Other cars might go 80+ on the flats, and 30-ish in the deep whoops, where we'll go 72 on the flats, and 40 in the same whoops. An advantage to us on rougher courses, like San Felipe where we averaged over 38 m.p.h. en-route to last weeks victory, but we'll probably get our a$$eS handed to us at V2R where the impressive 48 m.p.h. avg. speeds will be prohibitive to our car, in it's current configuration. In the quest for more top end and sand wash speeds, we will be testing another tweak to the stock clutch in Barstow on the way up to the Mint 200 next week. I'm not sure that Marc will be too happy if I share EVERY detail on our clutch journey, but I will do my best to share the experience and results with you all here. I am considering allowing room in our new build to run larger diameter after market clutches, if I can determine that it would be time well spent. I can say this though, "We won San Felipe using a stock BRP clutch" (bitches!). Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Last edited:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Being those are the original arms that I designed and built for the car, they were hand built, without patterns or jigs, and are asymmetrical. To build a new arm would take days! I am currently working on jigs for a comprehensive aftermarket kit based on the design we're running on the Monster Mav. With a jig, and digital file of the components to cut from, I'd be slammin' Sammy, building a new one in less than a day. Looking forward to racing with you guys at the Mint. Through rigorous testing, our slug is a bit more reliable than last season, so we should be able to keep in touch with the class of the field all day. Your build is moving along well by the way, whilst mine just sits and begs for my attention!. Does that CVT intake plenum/light box you designed only draw air from the bottom flanged holes, or is there additional ducting. Is the air mechanically pushed, or just naturally flows based on the "badass" intake plenum? I recently came across a fact that the Polaris can run run larger diameter clutches, resulting in higher top speeds, and less heat build up. Do you mind telling me the approximate diameters? Our top end on a good day, with the wind at our back, and the stars aligned is in the very low 70's, and the top speed in a sand wash is a pitiful 40 something m.p.h.!. As far as changing to larger clutch diameters, we're limited based on the Mavericks motor position relative to the floor plan. See you at the slots!
Reid, I am not 100% sure but I don't believe the MPH was coming from a larger diameter clutch, The OE clutch and the STM side by side look the same. I have never measured them. Anyhow we were getting a higher MPH out of our STM than we do with the OEM clutches. With that said we are no longer running the STM's even tho I feel its the better system. Now...its was rumored and I am not verifying it because i don't know if it truly happened or not..... But it was rumored at parker that another team was tracking on IRC and seen us @ 89mph. I don't believe that the car will run that fast as I have been in it and never seen anything close to that.

The light box plenum, looking at all the other set ups out there we decided that we didnt want to scoop air because you are also scooping dirt. So that's where the light box plenum design came from. There no other air pumps. The stock clutch fan pulls air, So the idea is we will not have as dirty of an air filter or clutch box.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Love reading your stuff Reid :cool:
Thanks David. I enjoy sharing our journey, and we definitely appreciate the sponsorship your company offers to us with those badass "bash" plates. The fit is always spot on, and you jump through hoops for us as well. I'd happily pay retail value for your services, as they have proven to be impeccable! You going to the Mint?

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
All the metal hardness engineering is cool stuff did you learn that on your own experimenting?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
Thanks David. I enjoy sharing our journey, and we definitely appreciate the sponsorship your company offers to us with those badass "bash" plates. The fit is always spot on, and you jump through hoops for us as well. I'd happily pay retail value for your services, as they have proven to be impeccable! You going to the Mint?
Sorry, not going to make the Mint, 3 trips to So Cal in February has us a bit burnt out on traveling. Wish we were, I know it's going to be off the hook! Good luck!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
All the metal hardness engineering is cool stuff did you learn that on your own experimenting?

I learned most all of the proper fabricating practices from how-to books, mostly by an author named Carroll Smith (I believe his most recent gig was working as a metallurgical engineer for ARP fasteners). His background is in motorsports engineering, so he has a lot of relevant things to share. His style of writing is so direct and he doesn't over-complicate his message like I do!
It is a fact that any fabricated part or weldment WILL fail before its time if proper manufacturing protocols are not adhered to. Metal does not fail, people do. Proper manufacturing basics are just disciplines thyat you do not stray from, if you want a reliable product. Thanks for your reply.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Thanks I'll have to look into his books. I can handle reading a book like that I just can't bring myself to read any other kind of books. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000