5th Wheel Hitch Set Up

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
So as you guys know I recently got a new 2017 F350 long bed and 43ft Attitude 5th Wheel.

I'm setting it up this week with a hitch to tow and doing it of course on a budget. I ordered a factory Ford bed Prep package which essentially eliminates the need for an in-bed rail system. It's a bracket that goes beneath the bed.

I picked up for free a like-new ProSeries 20k pound hitch mounted to a ProSeries Slider. I was told you don't use a slider in a long bed but I can still run the setup in the locked position.

From there I had to order and adapter that will mount into my bed Prep package and then allow the hitch to mount into it.

Again, I'm on a budget. This whole get up is costing me less than $900 to set up. With that said, what's your advice on 5th wheel hooking up, hitch maintenance and positioning. I'm a total 5th wheel rookie and know I'll have to get a non-commercial class A license to legally pull this turkey.

Anyway, any 5th whee advice is welcome. Let's hear it!

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
After you back in and hear it click , put Truck in drive and see if it is truly locked then put it in Park and let it settle then you should be all good to put safety lock pin in Hitch pull release handle and pull legs up.
I know some people put a lock on there release handle so know body can pull it to release it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: JoeyD23

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Buy (2) of those disc's and keep one in the truck. They always seem to break when your out on a trip. A little light lube on all of the moving parts helps too. Be really careful coming home late and tired forgetting to drop the tailgate, It's all bad trust me, lol. Kinda pricey to replace and paint match, so just went with the cut out style tailgate for fifth wheels.
Regards,

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
My advice - don't let anyone help you when hooking up or taking off your trailer so a step gets missed or not completed. Don't be in a hurry! Nothing worse then dropping your trailer on your brand new truck bed!
Yep and that's why I recommend the lock. I know a guy that his buddies needed him to help Tow somebody out and they got through most of the process of unhooking the trailer and by that time someone else pulled the guy out so they stopped unhooking and little did he know that one of his buddies pulled the release lever and when he went to pull out Sunday his Trailer unhooked and crushed his bed. Ouch.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I think the 1st Rule of owning a 5th wheel is dropping your trailer on your bed :/ If you can't tell, we've all done it Joey, hopefully you never do. It always seems to happen when you get over confident or in a hurry....

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
I think the 1st Rule of owning a 5th wheel is dropping your trailer on your bed :/ If you can't tell, we've all done it Joey, hopefully you never do. It always seems to happen when you get over confident or in a hurry....
It happens when your in a hurry or when the phone fucking rings or something distracts you. Just like Harleys there are those that have dropped them and those that will.

valco

Apr 30, 2009
Make sure you have adequate clearance from the top of your bed rail and the bottom of cab. I recommend nothing less than 8" of clearance. I would shoot for 10" or so. You have adjustment on your kingpin and hitch.

LBR

LBR
Apr 9, 2009
Oregon
When backing into it, make sure hitch to trailer height is such that the truck saddle is a bit higher (1/2" or so) than the pin disc so as to avoid a "high hitch" of the pin.

As mentioned earlier, it someone wants to jaw at you when hitching up, tell them to STFU until your finished.....lol

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
One thing I like about having a slider is that I keep it in the back position when hooking and unhooking, that way my tailgate can stay down the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
One thing I like about having a slider is that I keep it in the back position when hooking and unhooking, that way my tailgate can stay down the whole time.

I have some guys that always leave it in back position when towing and say it tows just fine and they never move it.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I have some guys that always leave it in back position when towing and say it tows just fine and they never move it.

I can feel the difference when it's back. Makes the truck squat more too.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
I can feel the difference when it's back. Makes the truck squat more too.

Yeah but some guys don't care. Lol. Lazy fuckers said ahh it's fine and they just leave it back.

Reactions: desertwheeler

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
It happens when your in a hurry or when the phone fucking rings or something distracts you. Just like Harleys there are those that have dropped them and those that will.

My truck is at the body shop now from being in a hurry.....fml.

So like everybody else said, take your time. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000