All UTV's 4 seat sport utv pro's & con's

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
like the title says looking for real reviews from owners. I'm finally about to pick up another SXS and need to know the real pro's and con's(issues). my go to being a former teryx owner is a LT teryx 4 but i really like the new sport models.
xp1k 4
maverick max xrs dps
wild cat X 4 limited

don't care which is faster than the other just won't something that will be as dependable as my old teryx. I've demoed the maverick max and really like it and fit really well at 6'5" tall.

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
I've driven them all except for the xp1k4, the teryx4 is by far the most dependable in my opinion. But the others are just on a whole another level of speed and especially SUSPENSION. The T4 is plenty capable just not as sporty, even with long travel I doubt it would perform like the others in stock trim. With that being said I'd still buy a T4 if dependability was my #1 concern.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
It could use more power for sure. Top speed of 61mph is a little low. V-Force John is working on a clutch package that should get into the 70's. But I spend 5% of my time at full speed. The rest of the time the T4 shines. Add a plus 5 or 6 LT kit, Muzzy exhaust, Benchmark ECM, 30" Mongrels and Methods. I have heard of people buying T4's for as low as $11,500 OTD. You can build a sweet ride for under $20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i would agree on the reliability of the T4, you cant beat it. BUT the aftermarket has not supported the T4 like other models.

The Max and the XP41k have their first year issues. I have heard alot of belt and fire issues out of the Polaris. The Max has clutch issues itself, cost 1-2k to change clutches and then you are good. The Max also has weak tie rods which can be replaced by aftermarket for $80. The WC well i have heard nothing good about quality on those machines.

It really depends if you want to keep up with the Jones's and get a newe sport ride or wait a year to see what gets hammered out.

If you really sit down and think what you are using it for you should buy a Jeep. haha

when we load these machines up with 4 fat drunk guys it puts alot of stress on the drive trains. These machines are not extremely durable, just lookk at the upgrades Baja racers have to do.

good luck

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
A couple built lt t4's just came up for sale thats why im a a asking the Q's. They are about the same price as the newer sport models. I just like to do 80mile solo rides in Ocotillo and not have to worry about stupid issues

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
My vote is also for the T4! I am a former RZR owner and love my T4. The RZR gave me 5000+ trouble free miles and is still going strong! with proper maintenance of corse :D But being a tall guy like yourself and like Rusty I spend 95% of my time less than 20 mph crawling through OW. As you know the T4 is easy to get in and out of, there's a ton of room for peeps and other crap, IMO it has by far the best CVT and 4 wheel drive system and another great feature is that it's not 13-14' long:eek: and will fit in a 12' garage no prob:D The XP9-4 will fit also but very tight! I guess like anything, it boils down to what makes sense to you and yer riding style. If ya wanna do 50 in the whoops and launch off monster dunes then the T4 in not for you:D If you want a bad azz dependable trail rig that will do 95% of everything else very we'll then T4 it is:D Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
I was not a big fan of the t4s just thought they were ok until my cousin long traveled his and what a difference it made. It's a blast to drive now

Thrill Seeker

Oct 21, 2013
Simi Valley
I have a 14 Max Xrs & have had no problems in the first 300+ miles always with 4 adults, runs 73 mph. Mostly hard pack desert & hill climbs. Did I mention super comfy on long rides....don't regret my purchase one bit!

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
this is what makes the decision hard i have driven the t4 and love it but than i drove the mav max and it is like a LT teryx but with twice the power. i wish kawi would make a t4 1000 with LT.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
this is what makes the decision hard i have driven the t4 and love it but than i drove the mav max and it is like a LT teryx but with twice the power. i wish kawi would make a t4 1000 with LT.
buy a Max, put aftermarket STM clutches in it ($2200), upgrade the tie rods ($80) and install 5 point harnesses then enjoy.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I have a 14 Max Xrs & have had no problems in the first 300+ miles always with 4 adults, runs 73 mph. Mostly hard pack desert & hill climbs. Did I mention super comfy on long rides....don't regret my purchase one bit!

We Have 4 Mav Maxes and over 500 miles of Glamis and one mountain run and No issues with them. One bent a tie rod getting crazy so we all upgraded those for good measure. $60 center section. and half of them run no clutch cover in Glamis and so far no belt issues, I think they have that all sorted out. The Fit and Finish and overall comfort of the Max is night and day compared to the rest of them. Plus it hauls Ass for a big car. I raced a guy in a XP900 2 seater by himself and I had my daughter on board and we smoked him by 3 or more car lengths. He was a little shocked.:D

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
We Have 4 Mav Maxes and over 500 miles of Glamis and one mountain run and No issues with them. One bent a tie rod getting crazy so we all upgraded those for good measure. $60 center section. and half of them run no clutch cover in Glamis and so far no belt issues, I think they have that all sorted out. The Fit and Finish and overall comfort of the Max is night and day compared to the rest of them. Plus it hauls Ass for a big car. I raced a guy in a XP900 2 seater by himself and I had my daughter on board and we smoked him by 3 or more car lengths. He was a little shocked.:D
How does it do in the bigger woop sections?

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I have a Maverick 2 seater that can do an uncomfortable 35 mph down sand highway to Old's, and I test drove the XP1k4 and couldn't even feel those same whoops at 50 mph! T4 is in a completely different slower category, and I would imagine even a long travel T4 would be laughable in terms of comfort and speed against the current crop of 4 seat sport sxs's! Sure the Japanese brands last a little longer, but I'd rather be able to do 75 mph stock! No cdi module needed. No clutch work needed. No long travel needed. No need to replace brand new shocks. For the most fun, buy the rzr or Max! If you want to settle, then get the t4.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I have a Maverick 2 seater that can do an uncomfortable 35 mph down sand highway to Old's, and I test drove the XP1k4 and couldn't even feel those same whoops at 50 mph! T4 is in a completely different slower category, and I would imagine even a long travel T4 would be laughable in terms of comfort and speed against the current crop of 4 seat sport sxs's! Sure the Japanese brands last a little longer, but I'd rather be able to do 75 mph stock! No cdi module needed. No clutch work needed. No long travel needed. No need to replace brand new shocks. For the most fun, buy the rzr or Max! If you want to settle, then get the t4.
I use to be able to do just under 50 down sand highway in my old t2 with the suspension dialed.so should be close to that in a t4 withLT. But always wanted more speed especially in the sand. Guess I need to demo a rzr 1000 and see if I fit.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
If you are in Glamis, I would test drive the Wildcat X 4 seater as AC is out there a lot giving Demos. You would be surprised how great the suspension is and the power is not too shabby. 17/18" of travel does not suck.

I guy we camp with just bought one and it was very impressive with 4 people in the dunes. It went everywhere.

The XP1000 4 seater and the Maverick Max are nice too. Any of the 4 seat sport SXSs are going to be awesome is whoops and rough stuff..

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
If you are in Glamis, I would test drive the Wildcat X 4 seater as AC is out there a lot giving Demos. You would be surprised how great the suspension is and the power is not too shabby. 17/18" of travel does not suck.

I guy we camp with just bought one and it was very impressive with 4 people in the dunes. It went everywhere.

The XP1000 4 seater and the Maverick Max are nice too. Any of the 4 seat sport SXSs are going to be awesome is whoops and rough stuff..
Going to try and get out to glamis after Christmas and demo the wild cat.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
Wait till they work the kinks out with the xp1k4 and then pull the trigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000