Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30x12-14

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
I agree, my bighorns wrap pretty good but I think they are only 6 ply. And you're right, a bigger tire could require bigger brakes depending on what you're doing with it.

I think a 12" or 14" would be a nice choice to have.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
An 8ply aired down especially with a tall sidewall will wrap and be strong.
I would like a 10 wide non DOT light wieght less expensive UTV tire.
I dont see a need for a 15 inch wheel and I think people are only using them so they can run a taller tire.Even a trophy truck with a 39 to 42 inch tire is only running a 17 inch wheel.

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
An 8ply aired down especially with a tall sidewall will wrap and be strong.
I would like a 10 wide non DOT light wieght less expensive UTV tire.
I dont see a need for a 15 inch wheel and I think people are only using them so they can run a taller tire.Even a trophy truck with a 39 to 42 inch tire is only running a 17 inch wheel.
Good point on the height of the sidewall. The 8 ply sidewall would be nice to have.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
The new Arctic Cat Wildcat has an option of 15inch wheels available at the dealer (AC P/N 15x7 is 1436-747, 15x8 is 1436-767).
But Pitbull may be making that an unneeded option now...

THEPITBULL

NO F-TARDS ALLOWED - PIT BULL TIRES - Official UTV
Oct 15, 2009
Right now our ATV tires are 8ply-rated radials made in the USA. You know the pricing on these...as well as the quality. If made in USA...the quality will be top-notch and we can make an 8ply-rated radial NON-DOT 30" radial tire that will flex and hold up to the abuse. But the expense will be there.

It seems that most people want us to make the ATV tread design version versus the LT Growler version. But we've had some people say that if we do an ATV version, they'd prefer the Rocker pattern because it is more like an LT design. Thoughts?

30x950R12, 30x950R14
30x12R12, 30x12R14

8ply-rated RADIALS (non-DOT)

Tread depth 28/32nds versus our current tread depth of 36/32nds

Now the questions I have are:
1. Rocker vs Growler ATV design?
2. 28 vs. 36/32nds tread depth?
3. Made overseas 6ply-rated BIAS or made in USA 8ply-rated Radial (which will cost much more)?

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
For my use, I want a LT tighter pattern, with less tread depth. With 4wd, traction is not an issue in the desert, but too much lug and weight and it will adversely affect brakes, CV's, gear case, belt, etc. The tire manufacturer that makes a hybrid ATV/LT tire that is radial, light, durable, made for the weight, and made for up to 100 mph will have the holy grail. But the wheel AND tire package should weigh less than 50 lbs. One tire won't satisfy all users, we are going to need a UTV specific tire with 14" and 15" wheel sized and in several different tread patterns. Guys in the mud want something different than what we run in the desert. Thanks PB tires for listening to us UTV vatos.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
For my use, I want a LT tighter pattern, with less tread depth. With 4wd, traction is not an issue in the desert, but too much lug and weight and it will adversely affect brakes, CV's, gear case, belt, etc. The tire manufacturer that makes a hybrid ATV/LT tire that is radial, light, durable, made for the weight, and made for up to 100 mph will have the holy grail. But the wheel AND tire package should weigh less than 50 lbs. One tire won't satisfy all users, we are going to need a UTV specific tire with 14" and 15" wheel sized and in several different tread patterns. Guys in the mud want something different than what we run in the desert. Thanks PB tires for listening to us UTV vatos.
X2!

THEPITBULL

Oct 15, 2009

what does the average wheel weigh?

THEPITBULL

Oct 15, 2009
The problem I'm forseeing is that even though we may state on a hybrid tire that they are non-dot and not for highway service...there will always be knuckleheads who will drive them down the highway back and forth to work everyday...and it's these dudes that cause tire blowouts and then blame the tire.

so when designing a tire, we have to keep in mind the knuckleheads...which means...if we build a tire size that we KNOW is a highway tire size and we don't make it DOT, then IF a person uses it to go back and forth from work everyday and something happens...then the Nancy Pelosi's of this world will blame us and pass some far-reaching law to squash the production of these types of tires and cause us endless hours of needless regulation. Yes, that's an exaggerated point....but you get what I mean.

So, either we build a Rocker LT tire in a 30x950R14 & 15 DOT rated or we build a UTV tire. The hybrid thing isn't going to work for this size. Sure...other companies could do it...but they're nutz in this anti-business lawsuit happy climate.

And we cannot build a 30x950R15 DOT street legal tire with 28/32nds that will be salable to the everyday driver. It would have to be maximum 22/32nds and that's probably too deep for a good street tire and not deep enough for the desert use....is it?

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
People already make non-DOT tires that are 14" and my guess is that some knucklehead might do something stupid with existing tires and future tires, regardless of tire size and DOT rating. Think of it this way, you can get DOT and non-DOT tires for most dual sport dirt bikes. Same situation. The same logic also applies to SxS manufacturers that CLEARLY state that their vehicles are ABSOLUTELY not designed for, or intended to be used 'on highway.'

As for wheel weight, most beadlocks that actually live weigh between 12 and 14 lbs with ring and bolts. Some are lighter and some claim to be lighter, but most either don't live or magically gain weight when they get close to a scale. :p

This thread might also be helpful. http://www.utvunderground.com/f31/next-generation-utv-tires-who-going-step-up-8143-page3.html

Last edited:

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010

Is there anyone that makes a 30" desert tire (not mudder) for a 14" wheel? I have been looking for a while. Pit Bull is in the business of making and SELLING killer tires. I think there is a far bigger market for a 30" tire that fits a 14" wheel than a one off desert only tire on a 15" wheel that could be used by someone stupid and result in a lawsuit. All the new UTV's have 14" wheels. I don't know of any that run 15" wheels stock. I say build the 30" tire for a 15" wheel. The current UTV's are already going 70+ mph and I can tell you from experience that 100mph in a UTV is a wild ride.

My vote is for an 8 ply tire around or just below 1" tread depth and the classic killer traction/durability that Pit Bull is famous for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000