2017 Baja 500 (Official Thread)

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Gotta give props to the attitude and heart of Lopez and all the Glasskraft guys. Rolls in just inside the window for finishing points. Beat to shit, but not conquered, they kept their eyes on the prize where many would have just said enough. Good job guys.

Reactions: Bajaxp

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Someone said that chappy car was a canam?? It currently in 3rd physical, the burroughs
Until this race, I never even heard of Elenburg. I assumed Polaris, which in the past, would have been a safe assumption. I stand corrected. With all the support that Can-Am gives to the full factory teams, a privateer is the one getting the job done. That's got to "Chap" Can-Am's ass. HEY Chapo, watch out for that olive branch!

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Killing it Lambert, and Sims! Chapo, obviously had trouble there at the end, but good showing.

Would kill to see all the podium interviews today! Congrats to everybody who finished this morning!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Just saw the post-penalty race results, and WOW! The rallye girls must have been very naughty to have went from a 2nd place finish to totally falling off the grid. The chatter all race long on the weatherman feed kept requesting that progress and distress reports be based on visual observations, saying that the trackers were not working properly and could not be relied on.

The tracker bulletin on SCORE's website states that the tracking devices gather data 20 times per mile, and any penalties levied would be based upon how long the infraction lasted. So, the trackers were not reliable enough to base race reconnaissance on, but they were reliable enough to base penalties on? What?
One can only assume that the data is collected and stored locally and accurately prior to any satellite uploading. It would be difficult to refute a protest otherwise. IDK, maybe given the amount of local users during an event, bandwidth plays a role. I'm not saying Roger is cheap or anything, but I know I can pay for more bandwidth through my cell provider, and receive faster and more reliable service..... I'm just sayin'.

Whatever happened to that YB deal SCORE used after breaking ties with IRC? That one seemed to be the best yet as far as consistent and full area coverage.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
NORRA coverage was great! A few minor issues, but it worked 90% of the time over a five day race

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Just saw the post-penalty race results, and WOW! The rallye girls must have been very naughty to have went from a 2nd place finish to totally falling off the grid. The chatter all race long on the weatherman feed kept requesting that progress and distress reports be based on visual observations, saying that the trackers were not working properly and could not be relied on.

The tracker bulletin on SCORE's website states that the tracking devices gather data 20 times per mile, and any penalties levied would be based upon how long the infraction lasted. So, the trackers were not reliable enough to base race reconnaissance on, but they were reliable enough to base penalties on? What?
One can only assume that the data is collected and stored locally and accurately prior to any satellite uploading. It would be difficult to refute a protest otherwise. IDK, maybe given the amount of local users during an event, bandwidth plays a role. I'm not saying Roger is cheap or anything, but I know I can pay for more bandwidth through my cell provider, and receive faster and more reliable service..... I'm just sayin'.

Whatever happened to that YB deal SCORE used after breaking ties with IRC? That one seemed to be the best yet as far as consistent and full area coverage.
Could you please share these results?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Rallye girls?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Could you please share these results?

I'm not sure which results you are requesting. The race results are posted on the score website. If you want to see the penalty results, IDK where you would look. I only know the results today, and the results last night at the finish were 2 totally different things.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
The girls kicked ass all day. I had heard they blew up the transmission towards the end of the race. Pretty impressive effort by thier team with a new car / driver. I can see this car running up front from here on out.

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Damn! 1st utv is 51st overall and second is 60th overall! Wayne and Kristen dnf'd. That's pretty rare! Can't wait for the race reports to start coming in!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
8 of the top 10 are Polaris! Canned Ham got a 6th and a 10th. Guess the X3 isn't quite the game changer that I thought it was............
Baja is just brutal on equipment. Id say that the polaris is just simply more dialed in still and the X3s are getting closer each race. This race was ridiculously rough.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
8 of the top 10 are Polaris! Canned Ham got a 6th and a 10th. Guess the X3 isn't quite the game changer that I thought it was............
Better not mention that to the X3 diehards. Lol!

I imagine the X3 will get better as they work out the bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Baja is just brutal on equipment. Id say that the polaris is just simply more dialed in still and the X3s are getting closer each race. This race was ridiculously rough.
Is mostly a numbers thing. In the N/A class all the cars were Polaris minus one Yamaha. Then in the Turbo class you had 17 Polaris and 8 Can Am's. Just looking at it from a numbers stand point Polaris had a 90%+ chance of winning the N/A class and in the Turbo's they had 50% more cars entered then Can Am. It's hard to beat a brand that has a stacked field.

Then you look at the quality of the teams in each vehicle. More of the Polaris teams are experienced and have proven Baja Track records vs those in Can Am's. Then you can look at the quality of the builds of each brand and so on.

Look at Class 1. Jimco dominates the class. It's not that they are not one of the best, cause they are, but when 80% of the field is Jimco's their hard to beat. IMO the Alfa car is the best class 1 car racing, only 3 were built and currently only 1 is racing. Harley Lerner has to have a flawless day for Alfa to claim the top spot. Class 10 is the same with Jimco & Alumicraft, Spec TT with Mason's etc..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000