Polaris 2016 XP1

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
2 broken bolts in 3 wheels so far... 2 defective tensor tires. Not happy with my purchases so far.

I was really excited about the new tires and wheels and I've completely lost trust in both. I have spoken to Method/Tensor about it already. They offered to warranty the tires but unfortunately I am stuck with them for right now.

If you look closely at the photo..there may be an indication as to why the bolt role. I didn't notice this on the original install. There's one of those molding nubs, on the bead of the tire. On the other tire, the head thickness was way of from side to side and I believe that caused a bolt to break.

One broke at 9 ftlbs, one broke at 10ftlbs. I'm really disappointed.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Another bolt broke. At 7 ft lbs. I am being extremely careful about torquing this ring on evenly. I'm so confused.

There's a few things going on. Here's what I think.

1. The torque spec is too tight for the size of bolt. Internet searches come up saying the max torque spec for a 1/4-20 bolt wet(lubricated with antiseize, as method recommends) is 8.9 ftlbs. But method says torque it to 10-12 ft lbs. that would explain why they're breaking at 10 ft lbs. but why would one break at 7ft lbs? Maybe crappy quality bolts? They are grade 8 though.

2. The tires have imperfections, which is causing the beadlock ring not to go on 100% straight. However I'm being very meticulous about seating it flat and lining up the wheel, tire, and beadlock ring.

At 10 ft lbs, the bolts are removing material from the threads of the wheels.

So basically the wheels are getting ruined.

Last edited:

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Might try setting the rim on a bucket so it lets the tire bead sit down in the groove and lube up the bead with grease. This will help take pressure off of the bolts when seating the ring. This is how I did my methods with bfg tires. And didn't have issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
They tire and wheel combo are supported under the wheel by a bucket, so that shouldn't be it. Method told me to leave he bead dry, to prevent the tire from squishing out while I torque the bolts down.

I might have to try the beadlock ring spacers.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Ok so I think I figured it out now.

Who else runs 14" method beadlocks on 30" tensor tires? And do you run the beadlock spacer rings?

I was told by Method, that spacer rings aren't required. But I think that may be a fudge. Because now my beadlock rings are ruined.

Look at the huge amount of deflection in the ring. On the left is the ring I have torqued on, then removed. On the right is the ring I haven't touched. Something is way off.

The ring is deflecting enough to put a significant side load on the bolts and break them off. Look st the marks from the threads in the ring.

So I'm waiting to hear back from Method wheels to see what they will do for me. They said I didn't need spacers. And without spacers, my beadlock rings have been ruined.

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Maybe your torque wrench is broken? There's a lot of peeps running that exact tire/wheel combo, including me, without any problems. Bolts usually break from being over tightened. Dunno what else it could be?

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
I used my new snap on torque wrench, and compared it to another known good torque wrench. They were for sure breaking from the side loading of the deflecting beadlock ring.

Did your beadlock rings deflect like this?

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
So I decided to just put the new tires on my original wheels. Still looks pretty gangster. And should perform better than stock tires.

Had the roof and front skid wrapped in black.

I made a screen that goes in front of the grill. Help keep shit off the rad.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Great news! I spoke to Richard at Method Race Wheels and they are going to make it right. 3 new beadlock rings, beadlock spacer kit, new hardware kit, and a very happy customer.

Hopefully the spacers make all the difference.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Very cool...glad Method is stepping up and helping you out.

Always nice to see a company that backs their products and takes care of the customer

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Well I gave the new parts more testing this weekend and they all pass with flying colours. The Walker links are great!

Found some beautiful smooth fast trails while out camping. Can't wait to go back. And camping on the lake ain't bad.

Got some video too... You can find all my best photos and videos on my Instagram - @bugslee17

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
Ok so I think I figured it out now.

Who else runs 14" method beadlocks on 30" tensor tires? And do you run the beadlock spacer rings?

I was told by Method, that spacer rings aren't required. But I think that may be a fudge. Because now my beadlock rings are ruined.

Look at the huge amount of deflection in the ring. On the left is the ring I have torqued on, then removed. On the right is the ring I haven't touched. Something is way off.

The ring is deflecting enough to put a significant side load on the bolts and break them off. Look st the marks from the threads in the ring.

So I'm waiting to hear back from Method wheels to see what they will do for me. They said I didn't need spacers. And without spacers, my beadlock rings have been ruined.
I ran into the same issue with my methods and STU blasters. The bead bundle on this tire vs that of the previous DWT was significantly thicker. Bones at OMF shipped me a set of shims that were a big help. I never broke any bolts (I stopped tightening them once I saw the deflection in the beadlock ring). I had to grind them to fit but in the end they've worked well.

On a side note throw some liquid tube in there for some added leak protection.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Thanks, I will! Can't wait to get the methods on.

Little bit of video from last couple days on vacation. Confirming everything works well together.

Video is way better quality on Instagram. Check it out there! @bugslee17

Last edited:

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Great news! Had a couple deliveries today. One from Method wheels. 3new beadlock rings, 4 sets of hardware and 3 sets of beadlock spacers. Can't wait to get these on.

The other from my friends at UTVUG.

I ordered a shirt and stickers and they hooked me up right.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000