2015 Dakar Rally Thread

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Hey guys, the 2015 Dakar Rally is upon us!

Our friends over at Xtreme+ were looking good today, scrutineering. They have 3 cars competing.

Now just how much detail we'll be able to bring you remains to be seen but I'll do my best to keep you as updated as I can. If you're following the race, post updates and speculation here!

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Our friends at RDC are in Argentina right now to cover the race, checkout a cool build on their 4Runner that was recently kitted out for Dakar Here:

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
FYI Live Timing can be found HERE

Little update from the weekend!

Xtreme+:

Cool update from Friday's tech with a little background:

"Dakar D -2
Technical and administrative checks at Tecnopolis Park in Buenos Aires
Willy Alcaraz launches his pursuit for the fourth victory!
An air of spring with nice a light breeze can be felt at the Tecnopolis Park in Buenos Aires. All competitors know that they must enjoy these moments because Argentina is well known by its unbearable hot weather.
It is time for the technical and administrative checks for the Polaris Xtremeplus Factory Team. The most important part of the technical check has already been done in the port of Le Havre last November, before embarking to Buenos Aires, so the afternoon goes by without stress. The entire team is ready to face the pitfalls and traps that the Dakar 2015 has waiting for them.
For Willy Alcaraz, triple winner of the Dakar in T3 class, it is time to put his title in the game. “This is my 24th Dakar -tells the French that rides in a single seater. This is my forth time driving a Polaris RZR, but this time I take the race with the RZR 1000XT+30, and not the 900TX+40. The technical team has done an extraordinary work developing this machine and this RZR is truly piece of jewel. During the tests, I was astonished by its performance, its shock absorbers, chassis, breaks… The way the RZR works has been improved and now, it can reach 125 km/h.
I hope the tracks are hard because that is an advantage for our RZR, just like the sand, but unfortunately this year we will not have too much of that. My ambition is, of course, to win the T3 class and to improve the overall result. The challenge is that the car goes faster, so it is harder to take the dangers and navigation while being alone, but I have the advantage of the weight…
We also have new tires from Maxxis. This should prevent punctures and will allow me to go faster in rough tracks. If everything goes well, I should be able to climb up overall because the Polaris RZR 1000XT+30 is truly performant and our team has experience and it is effective!â€
Tomorrow, Saturday January 3, it will be the starting podium. The real start of the race will be on Sunday January 4 with a special stage of 838 km between Buenos Aires and Villa Carlos Paz. 175 kilometers of this stage will be timed."

Here's the update they posted from Sunday:

Willy Alcaraz(POLARIS RZR 1000XT+ N°350) is out of the too short and too fast for the RZR Special (175 km) 102nd position... Tomorrow the stage will be a lot better for the Polaris RZR Xtremeplus with a very difficult stage 500 km long!

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Willy made up 50 places! Check out his race update below:

Willy and his Polaris RZR 1000XT+30 make up 50 places in the ranking!

Monday, January 05

Stage 2: Villa Carlos Paz – San Juan

Road connection: 26 km – Selective section: 518 km – Road connection: 81 km – Total: 625 km

If the first special of the Dakar 2015 was only a warm-up, the second was one of anthology, with rough tracks in the beginning, followed by dust and closed by fesh-fesh between lots of thorns. As every year, the bivouac in San Juan is located at the local racetrack and feels like an oven. Even if the sky was a bit covered, the temperature marked more than 43°C that were spread by the asphalt.

For Willy Alcaraz and his Polaris RZR 1000XT+30, the configuration of the tracks of the second stage was great to make the difference, and even if he has finished the selective section 51, meaning he passed 50 cars, he could have done better if he didn´t had an over-heating problem.

“It is sad -explains the incredible French driver that rides alone, with no co-driver. 100 kilometers before the finish line, I was marking good timing, but I had to stop 1h15’ to let the speed variator cool down. The wind was on our backs and many cars had over-heating issues, I was not the only one. At the beginning, there was a mountain road going uphill and then down, and I had fun like in rally races, I attacked and passed at least ten cars!

In the fesh-fesh, many competitors were “trappedâ€. Often, I had to drive over thorns… and I had three punctures. You must see the size of these thorns, it is unbelievable! I repaired them every time and continued. I saw at least 25 riders and 35 cars stopped because of the infernal heat that was covered the track, and one car burned out…

Regarding me, I had to slow down because I needed to let the car cool down and I stopped to clean the air filter that was clogged by fesh-fesh. But we are here and the adventure is only starting!"

Third stage: San Juan – Chilecito and a timed section of 284 kilometers.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Team Xtreme+ finished the third leg in 55th and 59th, first and second in the SSV Class even though they had a few problems. Here's some pictures accompanied by a translation of their report:

"Dakar, the point after step 3: Willy alcaraz finally to the arrival

He arrived late but he came out of the 3 th step, willy alcaraz will be known In trouble having delayed by more than 4 hours.

A point allows to count 68 abandonments after only 3 steps on the 360 Competitors at the start. This is considerable.

Initially this morning of the 4 th stage, the two rzr xp 1000 Team polaris racing - xtreme+ with the crew jes munk ( dnk ) - sebastien delaunay ( eng ) point in 55 position and willy alcaraz in 59 position and leaders of The category ssv.

Today the race arrived in chile with a menu very rich 600 km of liaison And 315 km of chrono special via a rise to 4800 meters Altitude. The special will reach the acatama desert then sand and the final 40 km, for A lot of night, will be held in the dunes and the giant pothole prior to the arrival to copiapo."

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Interesting suspension concept on this Dakar Buggy. Does it look familiar? I have seen a few Buggy's copying RG's Hummer 1 shock concept this year. Its funny now that a few are running his 1 shock concept, RG's new Gordini truck is back to running an Traditional American 2 shock concept with a coil over and bypass shock. Eruo's typically do it different and run duel coil over shocks and no bypass shocks. Bypass shocks are a North American thing.

Have you notice more & more teams also running 2 wheel drive? It seems more & more teams are trying the 2 wheel drive cars. I dont know if its cost, or if the years of RG doing it has shown that 2 wheel drive can be competitive. Everyone was surprised that Pug went that direction. So far it is biting them in the butt as they dont understand big wheel travel and the geometry that goes with it.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Maybe that is why Mini dominates as they stick with 4wd and keep it in a small light package.
Mini is dominating because the have the most resources & money right now. If VW was still racing Dakar they would still be winning and Mini would be racing for 3rd & 4th place with Toyota picking up a top 8. When VW was racing Dakar their annual budget was in the $ 100 million dollar range. It's been said that Mini/BMW is spending around $60 million a year with XRaid.

One of the guys who knows racing electronics said the electronic data system being used on the new Peugeot team was around $40 grand per car. That just their on board electronics. I have not read what Peugeot's budget is, but being that their a whole new ground up program with a multi year deal and 3 top paid drivers you would have to think they to are in Mini budgets.

Even though RG is having issue this year you have to commend him for even attempting to compete at the leval these facorty backed super teams are at, with budget that is a small, small fraction to what those guys have.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
First beautiful day for Willy Alcaraz and his Polaris XT100+30

Stage 4: Chilecito – Copiapó (Chile)

Road connection: 594 km – Selective Section: 315 km – Liason: 0 Km – Total: 909 km

It is in Chile that Willy Alcaraz finds his marks and finally spends a “clear†day, meaning, a day without troubles, dust or hot weather! Up at down to cross the Andes Mountains through the magnificent Paso San Francisco (4725 meters above sea level) and pass the frontier to arrive to Chile, Willy only took the start of the special stage, located in the Chilean side, at 4 p.m.!

In spite of this late timing, the Polaris Xtremeplus driver arrived to the Copiapo bivouac right after the sunset and did not have to cross the dunes in the dark. The result is satisfying and the triple champion of the T3 class finished the special in the 54th place.

“In the last stage in Argentina – tells Willy at the arrival of the bivouac in Copiapó. I broke the transmission and Marco (Piana, Xtremeplus Team manager) tolled for 170 km behind the T4 truck (race truck)… in the fesh fesh! It was the most horrible day of my life! And I took the fixed time penalty and the team worked all night and I was able to start, that is what matters!

Today, I started the special stage late and it was a beautiful and varied special stage, with rough tracks, some fesh fesh, fast tracks WRC like, and at the end of the special, sand and dunes. Here is the Atacama Desert, the dunes are real cathedral dunes, huge dunes, mountains made of soft sand. I lost time finding the all the waypoints and even passed the same place three times, they were hard to find!

In these famous dunes, I found the other Polaris RZR 1000XT+30 and Marco Piana with his Unimog truck. It was fun to find the Xtremeplus team together in the sand. But I had to stop to deflate the tires, I didn’t want to take the risk of being trapped in the sand… and I did well because I lost five minutes and got back with still some daylight. Jes arrived at 5 am because he waited for the track after hitting a rock and breaking a tire and Marco slept in the dunes, inside the truck.

For me, it was a good day!â€

The fifth stage of the Dakar will head North along the Pacific Ocean and will arrive to Antofagasta after 647 km and a timed section of 186 km.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013

GOOD STAGE FOR WILLY ALCARAZ IN SPITE OF THE SANDSTORM

Thursday, January 8

Stage 5: Copiapo – Antofagasta

Road connection: 174 km – Selective Section: 458 km – Road connection: 65 km – Total: 697 km

The Dakar climbs up North and places its fifth bivouac in Antofagasta, next to the Pacific Ocean. The selective section starts closer to the hills about 174 km from Copiapo, aiming to escape from the camanchaca, the morning fog that raises due to the proximity between the ocean, the desert and the mountains.

The fifth special stage is played on tracks made of sand and soil cut by fesh fesh and reached up to 3000 meters!

For Willy Alcaraz and the RZR Polaris 1000XT+30, the day went relatively well, in spite of a difficult end due to a sandstorm.

“It was a great special stage, explains the RZR driver that arrives to the camp at night. It was difficult, on very rough and fast tracks. Everything was going well for me until 10 km before the finish line. Two trucks passed me and the sandstorm came up. Visibility became 0 in the dust and I could not see a thing. Even less the stones in the fesh fesh. I had two punctures and I lost time there. But I am here, in Antofagasta, and I haven’t said my last word yet."

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013

WILLY AND HIS POLARIS RZR 1000XT+30 FREEZING IN BOLIVIA

Dakar 2015

Monday, January 11

Rest day in Iquique

WILLY AND HIS POLARIS RZR 1000+30 FREEZING IN BOLIVIA

The Dakar´s cars competitors started their marathon stage in Bolivia, meaning, they reached Uyuni without service trucks, no spare parts, tools or mechanics… Just carrying what they could in their machines and their own tools.

To arrive to Uyuni, the stage was composed by a 329 km road connection plus a timed section of 321 km. The way back had two selective sections: one of 472 km, a neutralized section of 274 km and another special of 38 km that ended up with the big downhill slide of the great dune of Iquique.

Willy finished in the 62 position at the camp. It was a very difficult marathon stage due to the rain, the cold temperatures and the mud that caused electrical breakdowns in the machines.

“When I started my way to Bolivia, it was as cold as always, and the road connection was calculated very short on time. I made it to the start and barely had time for anything else than putting my helmet and go, I didn’t even had time to eat. The special stage was beautiful, and everything was going fine until it started we were hit by a heavy rain … I was already freezing, and the cherry on top of the cake was that rivers went up to one meter, and the road book was marked to go in the banks. I had to look for ways how to go along and crossed the river many times… Not to say that being wet with the wind blowing and the cold at high altitude… I´ve never been so cold in my life!

While passing in the cold water, a universal joint broke due to the thermal shock and I had a slow puncture but I kept on going. I couldn´t see at all, I had mud in my eyes and my helmet was covered. When I arrived to Uyuni, I spent like half an hour in the shower trying to warm up, I was so cold that my teeth were chattering.

Then, I worked in the car until 11 pm and in the morning; we took a lined start in the Salar de Uyuni. It was fun, but with our top speed we could not do much. Then, in the mountain roads I was able to reach competitors and the first part was fine. Then, in the neutralized section I had an electrical breakdown. I was lucky to find the outlets that had problems and solved it but I took a late start.

I am glad that the rest day is finally here. The team will work in the Polaris RZR 1000XT+30 and then, we have another five stages to go!â€

Tomorrow, the stage will take competitors to Calama, in the skirts of the Andes Mountains.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
WILLY WAS HIT BUT FINISHES 51st!

Dakar 2015

Tuesday, January 13

Stage 9: Iquique – Calama

Road connection: 51 km – Special Stage: 450 km – Road Connection: 37 km – Total: 538 km

The last special stage in Chile was not the easiest one. It contained dunes in the beginning, some fesh fesh, rough and fast tracks, all spiced up by a very acute navigation. But Willy Alcaraz and the Polaris RZR 1000XT+30, excellent in complicated tracks, was even driving with Toyota factory cars. Unfortunately, when he left the main track to fix an electrical issue, the French was hit on the front left side of the Polaris by a buggy…

“The first 150 km went well, with no incidents and I was well placed. Then, I had some electrical problems due to the passage on the salt in the Salar de Uyuni. I left the main track to avoid bothering others, without using the Sentinel, a buggy cut and hit my front left side, I thought my tire was broken but I was lucky. I changed the direction joint and worked on it to continue, but the rim and the suspension were damaged.

I lost a good hour in this and then, when I arrive to look for the waypoint in the fesh fesh, I decided to keep going… there were trucks everywhere going in every single direction and a wall of fesh fesh. I told myself it was better to take the 40 minutes penalty than a truck on my face, it was crazy!â€

Tomorrow, the Dakar goes back to Argentina and arrives to Salta. Willy Alcaraz leaves Chile leading the T3 class and with the 49th overall place.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Mini is dominating because the have the most resources & money right now. If VW was still racing Dakar they would still be winning and Mini would be racing for 3rd & 4th place with Toyota picking up a top 8. When VW was racing Dakar their annual budget was in the $ 100 million dollar range. It's been said that Mini/BMW is spending around $60 million a year with XRaid.

One of the guys who knows racing electronics said the electronic data system being used on the new Peugeot team was around $40 grand per car. That just their on board electronics. I have not read what Peugeot's budget is, but being that their a whole new ground up program with a multi year deal and 3 top paid drivers you would have to think they to are in Mini budgets.

Even though RG is having issue this year you have to commend him for even attempting to compete at the leval these facorty backed super teams are at, with budget that is a small, small fraction to what those guys have.
I remember when VW was dominating. The 1st year for Robby was on the
VW team along with Mark Miller. Robby did not like the team concept of staying back and helping the leader.

I imagine Peugeot has a huge budget. Is the Toyota and Mini the only 4wd car?

I would love to see Robby start off the Dakar without having issues. He would probably be in the top 5 if he did not have issues. Those Minis just scoot around being 4wd and light.

Did you see them ripping the Mini around in Dumont on the last show? Reminded me of the guy that use to charge Olds in Glamis with a WRX.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Do mini's ever show up at glamis ? If not, why not?

I just can't believe RG hasn't done better out there ... I do applaud what he has done, but I can't imagine mini coming over here in baja 1000 and just cleaning house and wiping asses. There's got to be something I'm "missing" when comparing baja / american racing vs. the Dakar.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
A STAGE WAY TOO FAST FOR WILLY ALCARAZ AND THE POLARIS RZR 1000XT+30

Dakar 2015

Wednesday, January 14

Stage 10: Calama – Cachi

Road connection: 385 km – Selective Section: 368 km – Road connection: 116 km – Total: 859 km

After the rest day, car competitors expected a hard special stage, but this one was relatively easy, but way too fast. Before arriving to the start of the timed section, all competitors had to cross the Andes Mountains through the Paso Jama at 4,800 meters above sea level and cross the frontier to get to Argentina.

Willy Alcaraz, in spite of the handicap of the high altitude and the top speed, finishes 59 and keeps heading the T3 class.

“This was not a special stage for us, it was way too fast, not interesting and at the moment I could have attacked, there were tons of trucks. I was going full gas all the time, except for the last 50 km that required some steering. Besides, the special stage took place at 3,500 meters above sea level so the engine was in lack of oxygen.

I finished the stage and the RZR had no troubles, everything is perfect. Except that during the road connection to Salta, it would not stop raining, the roads were flooded and I am completely wet!”

Tomorrow competitors will face a stage that will arrive to Termas Rio Hondo, with 520 km.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Minneapolis, Jan. 19, 2015–Xtremplus’ Willy Alcaraz made it an unprecedented fourth time he’d win the Dakar and the third time riding solo, this time in a RZR XP 1000.

This year’s Dakar Rally was 9,000 Kilometers, spanning three countries with 140 competitors taking on some of the toughest geography offered in an off-road race. Alcaraz, similar to the bike riders, would run the race without a windshield and faced the heat, cold, rain, hail, salt, temperatures below zero, altitude and at the end of the race, a storm and mud. He would not only take his class but also finish in 46th place out of the 67 remaining cars in the car category.

“I am exhausted! This Dakar was hard until the very end, but I am happy to get the fourth victory in T3 and the third in Solo,” said Alcaraz. “At the end, in spite of the bad weather, I was able to manage my distance and make it to the end. The Polaris RZR XP 1000 is a well-made machine that has been magnified by the preparation of one of the most professional workshops in Pont de Vaux. I want to thank Nico, Manu, Thierry, Francis, Sylvain, Alexis, you guys do an extraordinary work every night to make the RZR as new, and in a very friendly environment and good humor which makes me feel better when I get to the bivouac every evening. Also, I want to thank Marco Piana, Norberto Cangani and Steven Griener in the T4 truck (race truck), because we know that in case of a problem, they are not very far.”

Along with Alcaraz, Xtreme Plus’ Team Munk/Delaunay, also in a RZR XP 1000, would take second in the T3 category and 55th overall.

For a race recap, Dakar fans can check out Polaris’ new Dakar race page at http://www.polaris.com/es-al/rzr-side-by-side/dakar.Minneapolis, Jan. 19, 2015–Xtremplus’ Willy Alcaraz made it an unprecedented fourth time he’d win the Dakar and the third time riding solo, this time in a RZR XP 1000.

This year’s Dakar Rally was 9,000 Kilometers, spanning three countries with 140 competitors taking on some of the toughest geography offered in an off-road race. Alcaraz, similar to the bike riders, would run the race without a windshield and faced the heat, cold, rain, hail, salt, temperatures below zero, altitude and at the end of the race, a storm and mud. He would not only take his class but also finish in 46th place out of the 67 remaining cars in the car category.

“I am exhausted! This Dakar was hard until the very end, but I am happy to get the fourth victory in T3 and the third in Solo,” said Alcaraz. “At the end, in spite of the bad weather, I was able to manage my distance and make it to the end. The Polaris RZR XP 1000 is a well-made machine that has been magnified by the preparation of one of the most professional workshops in Pont de Vaux. I want to thank Nico, Manu, Thierry, Francis, Sylvain, Alexis, you guys do an extraordinary work every night to make the RZR as new, and in a very friendly environment and good humor which makes me feel better when I get to the bivouac every evening. Also, I want to thank Marco Piana, Norberto Cangani and Steven Griener in the T4 truck (race truck), because we know that in case of a problem, they are not very far.”

Along with Alcaraz, Xtreme Plus’ Team Munk/Delaunay, also in a RZR XP 1000, would take second in the T3 category and 55th overall.

For a race recap, Dakar fans can check out Polaris’ new Dakar race page at http://www.polaris.com/es-al/rzr-side-by-side/dakar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000