2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
KOH Vs. Baja 1000 Which is harder?

I love this argument, because I have been involved with booth in many ways. I love both races and am hopelessly addicted to both.

KOH is harder physically and mentally. The crappy suspension of the Rock buggies in the desert makes you beg for the rocks, only to feel the spine compressing slams of frame against rock making you beg for the desert. For the Co-driver running up a trail in a full race suit and stacking rocks beats you down. Mentally trying to pick a line 40 feet in front of you while remembering where every rock is between that spot and your car for hours is exhausting. No chasing so you have to be handy and improvise.

In baja the logistics are a challenge because its mexico and people want to kill you, the food gives you the sh!ts, and its way to fun so you drink too much. Its long days, and bad communication. But the course is like an extended trail ride and dirt roads. Its almost enjoyable. KOH is hell. If it was longer I think people would die. BTW no one has died at KOH, Death is pretty much normal at Baja.

I like them both a lot, but I don't have any aspirations to ever race KOH again, its brutal, and not fun. Baja, sign me up.

M1028

May 29, 2012
Sealy, Tx
Back in October or November when they released the entry fees and classes, they also posted this on the registration page:

Yes, those extra costs are expensive, but the potential benefit is huge. If you crash, get hurt, and need to be helicoptered out? IRC knows you crashed, they call you on what amounts to a satellite phone built into the unit, and they know your exact location. And then will the bill comes due? USAC covers it. Or if the worst happens, and you accidentally hit a non racer who was just lost and crossing the course in the dust? USAC is there in case of any lawsuits.

Well worth $435($250+$85+$100). Hell, if you break down outside of radio range? The only way your crew will find you is by checking IRC tracking. Not to mention, it gives your sponsors the ability to track you live on the internet.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that racing without those things is just asking for trouble. Would I prefer if those costs were cheaper? Absolutely.
I completely agree. Me not racing is mostly my fault due to the fact that I keep telling myself I'm racing no matter what. I saw the price of everything and was still on the fence until we added up how much it was to get out there and stay out there.

It's down right scary to add up all the $$$ you spend getting there and living in the desert for a week. Hell it's almost $200 worth of fuel to run a generator off and on for 7 days. Fuel to pre run and race, food etc...

Sounds dumb but that extra $1000+ to race meant I couldn't go at all, so I pulled the plug. Kinda worked out because now I can help with the booth, and the other racers in our group.

Place is a blast, can't wait!!

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
I haven't raced Baja nor have I raced KOH but from a media guys standpoint, KOH is like going to get an ice cream cone while going to Baja is like eating a shit sandwich. Baja is the epitome of brutal. Again, from a chase standpoint.
Where's the like button? When we designed KOH we made it media friendly so we got tons of coverage. :D I could see that Baja was a bitch to cover. I am hoping my next venture is even better for media. ;) Gotta keep the media happy. :cool:

jabnasty

Jan 29, 2012
I'm talking to alba team nasty might be there. If we show up we aren't comming in 3rd again.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Entry list has 32 cars now. 22 pro, 10 sportsman. Drawing for qualifying/start order is next week.

There were 36 cars registered last year on January 11th when they did the drawing.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think its a really good car count especially when you compare to what other series' get.

I will let you guys know. UTVUnderground.com got notified by Polaris today that they would like us to document the race for them again for a 3rd year in a row!!! Be ready, we are going big!!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Straight from the Ultra4 site:

Hammertown will open on January 31st, 2014: The week of festivities will include:
Sat. 2/1 – King of the Motos Qualifying Rounds
Sun. 2/2 – King of the Motos Race
Mon. 2/3 – Pre-running day
Tue. 2/4 – 4 Wheel Parts Time Trials & Qualifying rounds – Including LCQ and Modified cars
Wed. 2/5 – 4 Wheel Parts Time Trials & Qualifying rounds continued
Wed. 2/5 – KOH UTV Race
Thur. 2/6 Smittybilt Every Man Challenge (Stocks, Mods, Specs and Legends)
Fri. 2/7 Griffin King of The Hammers Presented by Nitto Tire *The Big Race*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000