2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
I think 20 to 25 cars entered to race is great. This is not a series. It's all or nothing. This isn't like testing your luck at a WORCS race. You leave the start line at KOH your car is never going to be the same. People are building purpose built race cars just for this. This is 100% about bragging rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't really agree with that. We entered two XP's last year and the same two this year.

I changed the ball joints, bushings, and suspension bolts and have put 1800 miles on them since KOH last year. These are our trail rigs that we added safety it's to race KOH with. Not purpose built race rigs and they weren't really damaged. Broke an axle in each and tie rods which kept us from finishing.

What we added to the XP's is pretty much what most people add just to go to Glamis--long travel, better seats and cage, GPS, doors, radio equipment, harnesses, and nets, siren, and lights for safety.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
He said in an earlier post that it aint right to have somebody else run the race on his turf. But if it takes some heat off it would work. We need to show up big. Utv having its own day this year is huge. We need to go big. Wed is gonna rock. Im wearing a utv shirt all 6 days. Sporting UTVUG gear day and night. Running all 3 utv underground flags. I hope there is a huge turnout and support for utv.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I think it's time for a "UTVUNDERGROUND INVASION". Let's make it big. Should we make some UTVUG INVASION stickers?

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Why not save the $$$ for the stickers and offer it to payola for wining racers sporting UTVUG swag? Something else to help return what it's going to cost to fix all of the broken $hit!!! Just sayin':)

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
You leave the start line at KOH your car is never going to be the same. People are building purpose built race cars just for this.
We are trying to get MORE entries. Posts from a non racer saying KOH is a vehicle ruining affair just serve to scare people off. Especially when this race is winnable in the average trail rig.

We've entered 5 cars in past years. All 5 are trail rigs, and all 5 are still in great shape. The list of parts we've broken prerunning and racing KOH is actually shorter and less costly than what we've broken just playing around in Moab.

He said in an earlier post that it aint right to have somebody else run the race on his turf. But if it takes some heat off it would work. We need to show up big. Utv having its own day this year is huge. We need to go big. Wed is gonna rock. Im wearing a utv shirt all 6 days. Sporting UTVUG gear day and night. Running all 3 utv underground flags. I hope there is a huge turnout and support for utv.
I think it's time for a "UTVUNDERGROUND INVASION". Let's make it big. Should we make some UTVUG INVASION stickers?
First, the race being on Wednesday hurts us more than anything. Less time to prerun, less spectators, and additional cost for the organizers.

Second, wearing T shirts and waving flags around isn't going to help. If you want this event to continue for UTV's? Race it. You're already planning to be there, and I'm assuming you guys own UTV's. It's only $400 to race Sportsman. FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.

This post has almost 10k views. And yet only 25 people are signed up. That's kind of embarrassing.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Most people can't get a Wednesday off let alone a Tuesday and Thursday to travel to the race also

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
UTV racers are budget racers. They spend what little disposable income they have to race. We aren't TT teams who are literally millionaires. We can afford to step aside on a Friday for tech and race on saturday and back to work on monday. Theres a reason why BITD and racing happens on weekends. Now I totally understand the KOH deal happening during the week. But you can't expect much more than 30 @ max utvs to show up. Rarely has there ever been that kind of turnout. I can remember Soboba, which most these people racing KOH neverwere around for and also Whiplash snowflake quite a few years back. Which none of these people were around for. BITD and SCORE rarely if ever get over 25 racers.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
What's the magic number? 40, 50, 60 UTV's. Grand Prix races all ways get a big turn out. They are local, don't require camping, ran on a Saturday or a Sunday and the entry fee is $100. Even the average Joe that enters these local races is upset when people bumped them, they get flat or a scratch.

I think 25 cars is all KOH is going to get. 120 UTV's racing 4 different series over a 4 week period is really good. Will a BITD guy race his desert car at KOH 3 days after the Parker 425? Will a WORCS guy race his car at KOH 4 days before Primm?

BITD Jan 31 thru Feb 2nd. (Est 25 cars)
KOH Feb 4th thru Feb 6th. (Est 25 cars)
WORCS Feb 11th and 12th. (Est 50 cars)
SCORE Feb 27th thru March 2nd. (Est 20 cars)

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
We are trying to get MORE entries.

First, the race being on Wednesday hurts us more than anything. Less time to prerun, less spectators, and additional cost for the organizers.

Second, wearing T shirts and waving flags around isn't going to help. If you want this event to continue for UTV's? Race it. You're already planning to be there, and I'm assuming you guys own UTV's. It's only $400 to race Sportsman. FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.

This post has almost 10k views. And yet only 25 people are signed up. That's kind of embarrassing.
I like your attitude towards this race, but either myself or you are being misinformed.... it's not just $400... the tracker is $275 and usac is $85 per person that climbs into car... plus, you need pit support if you want to win...hard to find willing, capable people to take the week off to help you instead of spectating. I'll tell you this though, I'm making arrangements to be at koh, I'm working on my car and have almost all safety items, just waiting to finish motor rebuild... I'll gladly sign up if it's only $400.... but I need a sponsor for the rest... I'll even make my "sponsor" a deal.... whatever percentage you pay towards cost, I'll give you back in winnings!!!

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Most the sponsored factory guys are committed to WORCS three days after KOH. And lets me realistic the only reason the KOH course didn't do damage on your UTVs is bc you didn't come any where near finishing before timing out last year. KOH is brutal. I'd say Its equivalent to SF250. When you guys lose a tranny or something big this year, you'll see. :D

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
Two years ago there were 38 entries and 30 something last year.

All the threads about how it destroys your vehicle from people that didn't race are probably keeping the entries down.

From my experience, there are a lot of UTV owners in attendance to watch, so time off really doesn't seem to be the issue.

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
It has nothing to do w UTV owners. There are millions of those out there. It has to do w UTV racers. There aren't that many out there in total. And to make KOH your first race would be tough.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
I like your attitude towards this race, but either myself or you are being misinformed.... it's not just $400... the tracker is $275 and usac is $85 per person that climbs into car... plus, you need pit support if you want to win...hard to find willing, capable people to take the week off to help you instead of spectating. I'll tell you this though, I'm making arrangements to be at koh, I'm working on my car and have almost all safety items, just waiting to finish motor rebuild... I'll gladly sign up if it's only $400.... but I need a sponsor for the rest... I'll even make my "sponsor" a deal.... whatever percentage you pay towards cost, I'll give you back in winnings!!!

The USAC and IRC fees are static, while entry fees go up significantly in 3 days. USAC is actually $185 for a single race for the driver, $85 each for the codriver(s). IRC is $250 this year.

And lets me realistic the only reason the KOH course didn't do damage on your UTVs is bc you didn't come any where near finishing before timing out last year. KOH is brutal.
KOH *is* brutal. But no worse than half of the trails in moab.

Last year, I preran the entire course, 90% at race speed, and only broke one CV. During the actual race, I was fourth into pit 1, but I had to stop due to an IRC tracker problem. A lot of cars passed me here. When I got to the sand hill, I was down to about 20th. I worked my way back to 12th, but ended up having a fluke failure a mile from pit 2; A CV came apart and the end of the axle shaft impaled my tire, binding up the entire front end. Broke the other axle, and both tie rods because I was moving when this happened. I walked to the pits to get the parts, but gave up because I had no chance of winning anymore, and didn't feel like speed thrashing to repair my car just to finish outside of time. Had I not had the IRC issue? I would have had plenty of time to repair and finish. The pit stop hurt, but because I was passed I had to wait at the sand hill for a close to 40 minutes. That hurt, as did waiting at the start of aftershock.

The year before I finished no problem.

I'm just as hard on my UTV trail riding as I am at KOH. The parts and modifications to the car are mostly for reliability, not outright speed. That isn't to say it's bulletproof, because parts can always fail. But my point is that I don't see them as any more likely to fail at KOH than I do going up Moab Rim. And our night run up Moab Rim last year at ROTR had more than 25 UTV's involved. There were actually at least 4 KOH drivers on that run too, believe it or not.

It has nothing to do w UTV owners. There are millions of those out there. It has to do w UTV racers. There aren't that many out there in total. And to make KOH your first race would be tough.
KOH is a free for all. It isn't designed to pull in WORCS or BITD racers. And yes, a lot of people complain about cost, because it is more expensive than the average UTV race. However, in terms of racing? KOH in a UTV is cheap. CHEAP. You can buy a nearly race ready UTV for $7,000. You can buy a UTV capable of winning for under $25k.

Dave Cole isn't comparing his race fees with other UTV race fees. He doesn't care that his race costs more, because nothing else is like it. He sees a group of people with $25k cars, complaining about $1000 in entry/tracker/insurance costs, as well as everything else under the sun, and that class is poorly populated this year. Yet his premier class, 4400, has 100+ entries and cars that cost $100k plus that get rebuilt every year, and none of them complain at all. To put this in perspective, a pair of Spidertrax housings and Currie third members for a 4400 car costs $17,000+, before they even have tabs welded on. Go count how many of those you see on the lakebed this year. Running the 4400 race takes the same amount of work as running the UTV race. If 50+ UTV's lined up? This wouldn't be an issue. But with only 25? It's a big issue.

Which is why I'm trying to get more entries in. And it doesn't help when people who haven't raced KOH are incorrectly claiming that KOH will destroy a UTV.

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
The $400 entry fee is for the Sportsman class and it has no payout. The Pro class has a payout but the entry fee is higher and the course will be more difficult.

Last year our pit crew were all volunteers and many of them will be back this year. Anyone that wants to race and needs a pit crew, send me a PM and we will add you to our group.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
This race has been won by a bone stock RZR. This race can still be won by a dam near stock vehicle.

With the rules they are making the UTV's follow. They have made this the ultimate LOW DOLLAR racing experience.

I feel they just waited way to long to post up what the requirements would be. And that is part of the problem for low car count.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Which is why I'm trying to get more entries in. And it doesn't help when people who haven't raced KOH are incorrectly claiming that KOH will destroy a UTV.
I think you misunderstood my first post. I am not trying to talk people out of racing. I think KOH is the best race around. I have been going there for 5 years to cover the UTV race for UTVUG. I typically spend 4 to 5 days at KOH and I love it. But I also know (from a fan POV not a racer) that to compete in a UTV you have to push it. When you push it things break. I never said you will you destroy your car. But you better be willing to bang up a wheel, dent a door, get nerfed or tip over. It's part of the deal.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
The $400 entry fee is for the Sportsman class and it has no payout. The Pro class has a payout but the entry fee is higher and the course will be more difficult.

Last year our pit crew were all volunteers and many of them will be back this year. Anyone that wants to race and needs a pit crew, send me a PM and we will add you to our group.
Sorry, I was trying to use my phone to reply, (bad decision) Anyways, what I was trying to convey is the fact that it's NOT just $400... But, If there is anyone wanting to put their name on my car and fork over the rest of the entry fees, I'd be willing to split the winnings!!! Hell, they want to navigate and pull winch, they can ride shotgun... So, me, $400, them the extra $250 for PRO, the $250 for IRC, the $185 for tracker, and $85 for their BUTT...So, for $770, you ride shoutgun and when we win, you get 2/3 the purse.... Then, according to American Rock Rods, it will only be $400 for me to go race, and my sponsor has a shot at winning their $$$ back...Seems fare...

This race has been won by a bone stock RZR. This race can still be won by a dam near stock vehicle.

With the rules they are making the UTV's follow. They have made this the ultimate LOW DOLLAR racing experience.

I feel they just waited way to long to post up what the requirements would be. And that is part of the problem for low car count.
^^^^ this quote is probably the biggest reason more UTV racers aren't showing up... And the 4400 count is extremely high because if they agree to pay ahead of time, they are garunteed entry into the hammers...YEAH, if I had a 100k rig it wouldn't be any skin off my back to be garunteed a spot to run the hammers...just saying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000