2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Can anyone answer how much the IRC tracker will be? Will it be required for sportsman and pro? There was mention of two different courses, 1 for pro and 1 for sportsman??? I'd be up for sportsman if I could race the same course, I don't really want to pay practically the same price to say I won the trophy for going around the obstacles...:eek:

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
IRC is required for both classes. It's has cost around $275 in previous years. Don't forget you'll need a USAC membership, which is currently $85 for a single race.

As to course specifics? No one knows until the week of the race. Odds are that the sportsman will be bypassing most of the harder rock trails, but using the same pits and same desert section. My understanding is that the premise of the Sportsman class is so that the 'average' UTV owner will show up and get their feet wet, without having to spend as much money as the pros, and without having to worry about vehicle damage.

If you want to run the rocks, best bet is to race in the Pro Class. Plus, you get a chance to win money!

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
So I'm starting to collect parts for my RZR1000. I just have to wonder if I should just race my RZR900 that is already done and beat up.

All the parts I get for my 1000 will go on it anyway. Just don't know if its worth beating it up at KOH.

Either way as soon as Christmas is over I'm gonna start wrenching on one of them!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
So I'm starting to collect parts for my RZR1000. I just have to wonder if I should just race my RZR900 that is already done and beat up.

All the parts I get for my 1000 will go on it anyway. Just don't know if its worth beating it up at KOH.

Either way as soon as Christmas is over I'm gonna start wrenching on one of them!
Just put some cognito stickers on the 1000 and its race ready and ready to win

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I wouldn't worry about it until after the holidays. There is plenty of time. Think'n the 900 would be better, because it is already beat to chit and the belt is REALLY broken in.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I wouldn't worry about it until after the holidays. There is plenty of time. Think'n the 900 would be better, because it is already beat to chit and the belt is REALLY broken in.
That XP 900 didn't let me down last year. 2 days pre-running in the rocks and the only issue we had was a torn valve stem. Shocks were a bit stiff in the rear for desert though.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
That XP 900 didn't let me down last year. 2 days pre-running in the rocks and the only issue we had was a torn valve stem. Shocks were a bit stiff in the rear for desert though.
Yeah, way too stiff. Those were stock 900 4-seater shocks. definitely gonna look into some aftermarket shocks & better spring rates.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
Wow. A month ago he said utv sport is growing so fast. And that utv class was to stay. I hope he keeps the class. We are gonna make the most of it. Were going for the whole week just so we can see utv ect.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Well hopefully the UTV'S put on a show this year that cannot be refused because racing King Of The Hammers is on my bucket list.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I want to sign up so bad but the expense just keeps climbing...275 for a tracker and 85 for each person that gets in the car... It is on my bucket list and was trying to make it work for this year, but just can't see spending $1000 on one race... i know its the hammers...but i just can't justify it right now...

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
I want to sign up so bad but the expense just keeps climbing...275 for a tracker and 85 for each person that gets in the car... It is on my bucket list and was trying to make it work for this year, but just can't see spending $1000 on one race... i know its the hammers...but i just can't justify it right now...
It's worth it.

And Crowley, only 17? There are 16 pros on the Dec 6 list, plus one more listed in the vendor profiles. I know of at least one more that claim to have registered, possibly two.

I was really hoping for 50+ cars total. I can only guess as to the reasons for the low car count. Last year's course scared people? No rules available until early December? No title sponsor? Cost?

I like KOH, but if he cancels it for us, I guess that's that. Personally, I think if the rules carry over, and costs come down about 25%, the class will be huge next year.

Hunt

Dec 17, 2010
That is some disappointing news. I moved from NY to CA late this year. With all the expenses and drama involved with getting settled in out here I was going to take the 2014 race off and be back for the 2015 race. Let down for sure.

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
WOW !!!

That's not how you build a race class... I agree that the last year spooked lots of people, but with some tuning of the course and rules it could only get better with time just like everything else in life..

I hope they change there minds for 2015 cause I think that year will be the year UTV's show out.. just my .02

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
It's just pure golf cart discrimination I tell ya'! Can't the little man even get a break? I think maybe they spanked the sportsman class real bad last year and that ain't good for business?:confused:

It's a shame because things like this usually take a few races to get rolling, but I guess UTV's aren't going to get the chance.

Oh well, what could've been.......
:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000