2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

Mitch G

2009-2010-2012 King Of The Hammers UTV winner
Feb 14, 2010
My thoughts
1. qualifying is awesome
2. utv engines only no rotax, hyubusa etc...
3. stock frames, no tube frames
4. no running with EMC cars. it wasn't bad but it would be better for both.
5. No turbos, nitrous, supercharges , If you want to up the CCs to whatever, have at it.
6. If the UTVs run while the ultra 4s are qualifying the UTVs will get no love
7. Opening doors. who cares its not a short course race you not bumping and banging.
8. I'm not bringing the trophy back.You have to come get it if you win and bring beers.
9. Thanks for having the race again Dave !!!!!! your a good man

yield2me

May 17, 2011
1000cc/ power sports based engine
A UTV chassis

It's unlimited UTV racing...more than 1000cc's, it isn't considered a UTV (ca helmet law)

And with out a UTV chassis, it isn't a UTV

How hard was that?? Lol

Rob

Wyoming

Uncle Si in training
Sep 8, 2012
Cody, WY
I like the idea of "production" meaning production. Utv engines and factory shock mounts. Obviously long travel kits ok. I think opening doors are ok too. My 2 cents. I think I'll be trying to make this race.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
It's Unlimited and sportsman.

Because of "Production" I have to race Sportsman in Bitd/score/HDRA....because my 6 year old Rhino has a Rotax (cam-am) and bypass shocks on the rear.

There is LOTS of other racing around where you can race machines that are comparable to each other....KOH isn't, and shouldn't be, one of those races.

It's billed as the Toughest One Day Off-Road race in the world, and IMO, the machines better built to tackle such, or at least in the builders/drivers eyes!! Lol

Rob

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Garret, I will pay your entry fee for you to compete, whatever it is!
WOW, thanks!!!!! I was taken back by your offer, as we haven't met yet, but I think you have met a lot of our mutual friends!!!! I have to check with my co-dawg, cause I'm thinking "Slacker" needs to be involved!!!!! Together, we could make a formidable team..... That guy takes a machine most people scoff at and makes their jaw drop as he out wheels them to the top and bottom of trails they only dream about. So, as I write this, I am submitting my time off request at work ;) We are going to have one helluva party on the lake bed with La Familia!!!!

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
8. I'm not bringing the trophy back.You have to come get it if you win and bring beers.
Please retire already! Give one of the old guys a chance! :D

Isnt it more or less an unwritten rule that you have to bring it back, and defend it?

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
WOW, thanks!!!!! I was taken back by your offer, as we haven't met yet, but I think you have met a lot of our mutual friends!!!! I have to check with my co-dawg, cause I'm thinking "Slacker" needs to be involved!!!!! Together, we could make a formidable team..... That guy takes a machine most people scoff at and makes their jaw drop as he out wheels them to the top and bottom of trails they only dream about. So, as I write this, I am submitting my time off request at work ;) We are going to have one helluva party on the lake bed with La Familia!!!!
True, we have not met but I am familiar with you through our LF buds. By all means get Slacker involved. Heck, you would almost not need a winch, he would just pull you over the rocks!:D

Dave Cole

Sep 5, 2013
So a car like Casey has been racing...did it have a UTV frame or was it full tube?

Just trying to get my bearings.

Dave

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
I would not limit the motor size to 1000cc. With the new RZR 1000 and the CanAm 1000, 1000+cc motor kits will be fairly common. I do agree with the no special, one off, motorcycle, snowmobile, or aftermarket engines. I'd even let power adders in. We all love supercharger and turbo whine.

CVT required. Reverse required.

Stock suspension mounting locations. J-Arms, +width, +length okay. No shock size, number or mounting limitations.

All standard safety rules apply. Game on.

If the factory teams want a factory sponsored class to show off their products let them step up and fund it.

Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative.
I like your post, but your comments regarding Stock Suspension mounting positions and "Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative" is contradictory. I love "Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative", but I would lose the Stock suspension mounting locations to achieve it.

Hunt

Dec 17, 2010
I like your post, but your comments regarding Stock Suspension mounting positions and "Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative" is contradictory. I love "Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative", but I would lose the Stock suspension mounting locations to achieve it.
It's a hold over mind set form other race series rules. It goes back to somehow keeping a UTV race series just that, UTVs. Otherwise we have a mini Ultra 4 class with engine, transmission and CVT restrictions. If that is the way we want to go then lets define it that way. Personally I think a mini moon buggy class would be awesome but not realistic.

The shock and awe factor of having a true “run-what-ya-brung” UTV race would be exciting for those of us already in the UTV world. There would be a couple of rigs show up that bring the wow factor but the majority of the field would consist of medium mod-ed factory machines. There are not a lot of people that can turn out a heavy modified dedicated KOH UTV that will not fit many, if any, other race series rules. Those that can and do will probably have other cars to race. I see the problem arising with trying to attract new participation. By putting a few suspension rules in place, I think we can have innovation without scarring way the more limited budget teams. <O:p></O:p>

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
All this spec talk cracks me up, when the only three rigs to finish are 900Xp's last year. Yeah build that monster custom rig, they look great at the start.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
All this spec talk cracks me up, when the only three rigs to finish are 900Xp's last year. Yeah build that monster custom rig, they look great at the start.
If I remember correctly, Dave pretty much set up the course that way and said "no" UTV would finish. More UTV's would have finished except for the time limit and starting behind the EMC vehicles.

Mitch G

2009-2010-2012 King Of The Hammers UTV winner
Feb 14, 2010
So a car like Casey has been racing...did it have a UTV frame or was it full tube?

Just trying to get my bearings.

Dave
Dave,
I believe Caseys car was just boat sided for clearance. I'm not positive but I believe the main frame rails stayed intact and stock.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
If I remember correctly, Dave pretty much set up the course that way and said "no" UTV would finish. More UTV's would have finished except for the time limit and starting behind the EMC vehicles.
Dave set the bar high enough to make any finish legit, I was at the Northern most desert section before the turn back to the Rockpile, when the UTV's went through. And clearly the Stockish UTV's had a serious leg up on the custom rigs. Any reason to build a better mousetrap was negated that evening at the end. The UTV's finished more cars than other classes in that race.
Im not a RZR person but those three rigs did a great job, and proved UTV's have a place at the event, its up to you racers as a collective to keep it there.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
True, but XP's have a bunch of things others don't...

Awesome aftermarket support
Light weight
Lots of power
Small size

I HAVE to modify my 2007 660 Rhino to even begin to play ball.

And for the record, those 3 finishers have all rock crawled before!!

Rob

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
True, but XP's have a bunch of things others don't...

Awesome aftermarket support
Light weight
Lots of power
Small size

I HAVE to modify my 2007 660 Rhino to even begin to play ball.

And for the record, those 3 finishers have all rock crawled before!!

Rob
I just dont think you are gonna catch up, 2007 Rhino with 25K in improvements is still not gonna be in the same class at a 900XP, it will never be a crawler. I would love to see a Kawi or Can Am rig be competitive but the bar is pretty high right now.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
Lol...you may be right, but if the rules are strict I may never find out!!

Oh, and my Rhino will dust my 2012 XP

BTW- what year(s) have you raced KOH? 2014 will be my 6th time!!! :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000