JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4 Product Review by UTVUnderground

Product: 2012 Kawasaki Teryx4
By: Joseph "Joey D" DiGiovanni

When I first learned of Kawasaki's plans for a 4 seat Teryx earlier this year I could not wait for its release. As a family man, the multi-passenger UTV's have found a special place in my heart. From the first day I owned a UTV I wanted it to be able to carry my children along on our adventures. Way back when (2006) I was forced to begin modifying my UTV into a custom family wagon worthy enough to still look cool while hauling me and my family around the dunes or deserts of California. This custom project was quite the undertaking, and I will admit I went a bit overboard with its design and development. (UTVUnderground FatRod http://www.utvunderground.com/f56/joeyd-rhino-build-151.html) In the end I had one of the coolest multi-passenger UTV's ever built but it was so nice and so custom that I was afraid to use it for all it was worth. This forced me to look to other options for my family and I.

While I still want to look good when moving the family around in the off-road environment, I now see the importance of keeping your UTV versatile. What I mean is, I built my car up to be a beast in the whoops and deserts but it was so low and so wide that the thought of taking it on a trail or in rocks made me cringe. It wasn't built to perform there, nor would I want to subject its high-end custom body and paint to the potential damage. I am telling you this so that you understand the underlying reasons as to why I am so excited about factory multi-passenger UTV's. See for me it’s not about hauling a bunch of dudes around on a hunting trip or to get my friends and I to some remote camping location. No, for me its about still doing the type of off-roading I personally enjoy while subjecting my wife and kids to my wild and crazy driving style, all while keeping them safe, comfortable, and still looking good! Now that I have been exposed to the beauty this vast country has to offer in terms of off-roading, I also want a UTV that I can take ANYWHERE! If I go to the mountains, rock climbing, dunes, or desert, I want to be able to do it all without thinking twice about it. That is where the new factory multi-passenger UTV's like the new Kawasaki Teryx4 comes in!

I have been very fortunate over the last couple of years to be able to test and drive the latest and greatest the UTV world has to offer. Again, for all the reasons I have laid out above, I have spent most of my time in the Polaris RZR4 when going on recreational family trips. So the idea of another family friendly option excites me greatly! Now don't get me wrong, the Polaris RZR4 is an amazing machine so it wasn't as if I was looking for something better per-se, but as a man involved in this industry I am a huge proponent of development and progression. With the RZR4's success it was only natural that other manufacturers would take notice and HOPEFULLY introduce their very own multi-passenger UTV. Outside of the RZR4 success, other UTV manufacturers would have had to notice all the consumers making rear bed bench seat modifications to their existing 2 seat models anyway. So it would only be natural that they also fulfill the needs of their consumers and fill a niche in the market. Polaris hit it first in the recreational market and Kawasaki is NEXT to release a multi-passenger UTV for the recreational market with their brand new for 2012, Kawasaki Teryx4.

Kawasaki has a completely different approach then Polaris with this new model UTV and so I will stop the comparisons between it and the RZR4 here. The Kawasaki Teryx4 was designed for the adventure minded enthusiasts. Those who wanted to take multiple people with them on a trail ride or adventure and do it in style and comfort. Kawasaki nailed it with the Teryx4 when it comes to ergonomics and comfort. The Teryx4 sports high back seats that are very comfortable. The front driver and passenger seats can also be moved forward or back with a few turns of a wrench and while that’s a positive in the comfort department it is one thing I would love to see somehow improved to being on a lever of some sort. With the seats in the most forward position driving was not as comfortable. The position I was forced to put my ankle in to hit the gas and break was very annoying. However, when we moved the seat back it became very comfortable. One thing I like is that instead of removing the entire seat to access the underneath compartments like on all other UTV’s, all you do on the Teryx4 is remove the seat bottom cushion. All 4 cushions are interchangeable so it doesn’t matter which seat the cushion started with, a driver cushion could easily become the passenger rear cushion! You are held into the high back seats by standard automotive style 3-point seat belts. Not my favorite but obviously an industry standard. While the driver has a sport styled steering wheel to hang onto, the passenger has a gripped lever next to the center console to brace himself or herself along with a roll bar handle positioned on the A-Pillar of the roll cage. Rear passengers have a bar located directly in front of them to hang onto that can also double as an aftermarket harness bar for the driver and front passenger. Each passenger can enjoy their very own cup holder; there are a total of 4 of those in the Teryx4. Rear seating is roomy and surprisingly comfortable. I mean lets be honest, you’re still in the backseat of a UTV, but I have been in larger vehicles with far less leg room so what the Teryx4 offers is very adequate. Kids will love it and adults will be fine with it.

Kawasaki did a great job improving upon the previous model Teryx’s when it came to the little details. While the foot actuated E-Brake on previous models was better than no E-Brake at all, the new lever actuated hand E-Brake on the center console is much easier to use and easier to not forget it is engaged. Many problems occurred with early model Teryx’s due to owners not realizing their brake was engaged causing for drivetrain damage. I credit part of that accidental damage to the brake being on the floor and easily forgotten. While in the center console it will be much more recognized when pulled up and engaged. I also like the new shifter that is very automotive looking/feeling and shifts very smoothly in and out of gear. Gone is the hand actuated front locking differential, which has been replaced by a smooth operating dash mounted switch that allows you to easily go from 2wd to 4wd to 4wd locked. To go along with the full center console design comes a driver angled electronic dash display. The Electronic display features a MPH guage, Fuel Meter, a 2wd/4wd icon, Parking Brake Light, Neutral Gear Light, Reverse Gear Light, High Temp Light, Check Engine Light, Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Light, Oil Light, and Seatbelt Light. You can also toggle between different Trip Meters and a Clock. Rounding out the dash is a nice sized passenger side glove box that is large enough to hold all of your typical glove box necessities. There is also a “dummy light†for the blower fan, and a 12v accessory plug. The other thing I like is all the extra room on the dash for aftermarket modifications and accessories. You have all sorts of room to add a stereo, race radio, and intercom as well as accessory switches for lights, winch, etc. This is also important to me as I prefer to keep things looking clean and factory when I make modifications and having extra room to do so makes me very happy.

Another new feature for the 2012 Teryx4 is the new Electronic Power Steering (EPS) option available on certain models of the Teryx4. EPS is a very nice option to have, especially on these longer UTV’s. I enjoyed driving the EPS units all day, and getting into a non EPS Teryx4 was easy to feel the difference. I would HIGHLY recommend an EPS unit no matter the type of riding you intend to do. Turning radius was also very impressive. The front sway bar also helped the Teryx4 out when cornering at high speeds. You could definitely feel the front end stick to the terrain and the UTV did not feel like it pushed. You can’t talk about steering without talking about suspension. Kawasaki stuck with Kayaba (KYB) shocks for the new Teryx4, which are not bad shocks by any means. Still tunable, the Teryx4 KYB piggyback shocks allow for Compression and Rebound adjustments with the turn of a small flathead screwdriver. The Teryx4 travel numbers are not real impressive, with only 7.5†wheel travel. Not the biggest numbers in the UTV game but driving the Teryx4 is deceiving and it’s hard to believe that’s all the travel it has as you charge through bumps. Of course I would like to see a long travel version of the Teryx4, but that discussion is for another day! The brakes worked well and coupled with the engine brake down hill descents were a breeze. While I didn’t get to drive it with a carload of adults, I am confident that braking even with a full load will be very responsive.

Not being a real “techy†guy, I refuse to BS my way through talking about the powertrain, so here is what I will tell you in laymen terms. The new Centrifugal Clutch WORKS! It was easily the most impressive part of driving the Teryx4. Acceleration is smooth and there was zero belt slip even when stopping and starting on the steepest of inclines. It’s hard to believe that the Teryx4 is 1600lbs, with the way it accelerates and stops you wouldn’t know you weren’t in a 2-seat model. Kawasaki re-designed the 750 EFI V-Twin Engine for this new Teryx4 and its power improvements are noticeable when accelerating through the power band of the Teryx4. New larger CV’s and Differentials put the power to the ground of the Teryx4. It’s encouraging looking under the UTV and seeing the beefy diff’s and axle set-ups. Another very smart design improvement was the re-location of the intake to under the hood. It puts the air filter in a higher location of the machine increasing confidence when crossing water and also makes maintenance much easier. Next to the under-the-hood intake is a clean and accessible fuse box! This is also a first for the Teryx lineup.

After a day of driving the Teryx4 I was really pleased with what Kawasaki has produced. It reeks of quality in the materials and fit & finish side of things. While power and suspension may be what a large segment of the consumers want, there are still many who are more focused on reliability and quality. I am confident that Kawasaki is hearing the cry of Teryx fans that want bigger engines, and sport minded long travel suspensions, but it is apparent that Kawasaki is still focused on producing quality vehicles first. As a consumer I am happy with that. I am ok with having to add a suspension kit, or power upgrade, as long as I know my chassis and drivetrain is going to hold up and last. One thing is for sure; you can’t knock the quality of this machine. From top to bottom Kawasaki did their homework.

For me it is a blank canvas for which to work with. While a cage and suspension mods are necessary for my personal tastes and riding style, very little beyond that is necessary. While I choose to remain simple when I tackle our Teryx4 build, I will still go all out when it comes to the accessories and look I want.. The aftermarket will surely develop a host of products for this platform, and many already have. But no matter how many goodies I put on this car one thing is for sure, under all that makeup is not a pig. The Teryx4 is a solid machine weather left stock or if you choose to go all out on building it up. We can’t wait to dig into one and make it our own!

For many more details and information surrounding the new 2012 Kawasaki Teryx4, please visit our official product release thread here: http://www.utvunderground.com/f37/2...al-release-utvunderground-exclusive-7804.html There you can find every single detail surrounding the Teryx4 as well as many more detail photos of the UTV.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I should mention. The pics were taken on our ride day with Kawasaki at Brimstone ATV/UTV park in Tennessee. This was my second time to Brimstone this year and this was by far the best riding experience of the 2. Being able to ride all day long in these amazing machines in those beautiful mountain trails was a real treat.

Thank you very much to Kawasaki and their entire staff for the invite and hospitality. I had some flight troubles getting out of San Diego and Kawasaki stayed the course to make sure I arrived in Knoxville for the event. I am very grateful to call many at Kawasaki friends and I look forward to many more adventures in the coming year!

I also want to thank my Co-Dog for trip, Crowdog Jon Crowley! As is the case on many events, Jon and I team up to make sure we can bring all of our readers the most comprehensive reviews, stories, and images. So thank you too Jon!! Make sure to visit UTV Guide often for even more insite and detail!

Badbinder77

Side X Side Nation
Mar 3, 2010
Elko Nv
Did any of the units have any issues or did they run flawless at brimstone? Watching all the YouTube videos, it looks pretty impressive in that tight woods riding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000