2011 King Of The Hammers UTV Race Info **UPDATED w/ Pics**

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
Re: 2011 King Of The Hammers UTV Race Info...Video..

1 Donkey, 1 trailer, a RZR, and a toolbox.

Or maybe a F350 and a 32' enclosed, depending on the fuel prices driving from Alabama.

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
Great time today! Anyone planning to race is going to have a blast! Expect some of the challenges of the first year with a great mix of open desert and technical transfer sections with fewer whoops then in the past. These pictures might look nasty but if wasn't for a couple of driving errors and a front diff that wouldn't lock we would have been much better off. The good news is Jeff really is learning the potential of SXS's (especially the Teryx) and that is good for us as a community.

Jeff and Hammer King Productions have gone out of their way to make this event awesome for the UTV community so don't miss out.

It is our plan to have a large area set aside for the UG compound that is slightly off the beaten path. The Underground flag will be raised on friday night and will be there all week. Joey will post up the Google map location when we know we have the prime spot.

Kawasaki Team Green will be on hand at the event and available to any Teryx team that needs emergency parts or technical advice.

Bring on the Hammers!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Today was EPIC!!! Had so much fun! Hammer King Productions is throwing it down this year with the course. And yes, the Underground Compound will be in full effect! We hope to have as many members, racers, and affiliates there as possible!!!! Come out and witness one of the gnarliest events in off road racing!

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net

Today was EPIC!!! Had so much fun! Hammer King Productions is throwing it down this year with the course. And yes, the Underground Compound will be in full effect! We hope to have as many members, racers, and affiliates there as possible!!!! Come out and witness one of the gnarliest events in off road racing!
Very cool. I hope to arrive on Saturday evening. I better get going on my registration....

Interesting that they are allowing some engine swaps.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Only existing UTV/ATV CVT Transmission Engines allowed. Brute Force and Rotax are the only 2 motors I think anyone can expect to see. NO STREET BIKE MOTORS! If your shifting gears you will not be allowed to race. If you only have 2wd you wont want to race anyway.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Oh WOW, pumped, this is going to be the best race of the year by far...
Thanks for all the attention and work Jeff, Reid, Joey and others...

Joey, we still got a UTV Hammertown going? Be there Monday at the latest, I've talked to many that aren't racing but want to come hang out too...

wallyworld

Sidexside Outfitterz / Wally World Designs - Offic
May 15, 2009
oakhills ,ca.
Can't wait Jon. Thanks Reid and Joey. So it's Wallyworld- 39" motohome- 24" trailer. Probably Monday to Sunday. Reid you gotta place to sleep.

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
There are a couple of us talking about making a short (200 mi) run through Baja (to Tecate and back) either Sunday or Monday if the RZR holds up through the race. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net

Only existing UTV/ATV CVT Transmission Engines allowed. Brute Force and Rotax are the only 2 motors I think anyone can expect to see. NO STREET BIKE MOTORS! If your shifting gears you will not be allowed to race. If you only have 2wd you wont want to race anyway.
Guess we wont see the boys with the Redline then. They had a tough time last year in 2WD.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Nothing but respect for what a slightly modified UTV can do in the rocks, and even more for the co driver/navigator/spotters who will do the heavy lifting during the UTV race.

I had a total blast riding and spotting Reid yesterday, I wish I could race. The UTV race was something I personally wanted to see improvement on over the last two years. I have not prerun a KOH course in one shot since 2008, until this UTV race course came along.

We went old school on the course layout. KOH course mapping is done via computer now as we have tons of files on the JV area and have a pretty extensive knowledge of what the Ultra4 cars can do.

For the UTV race course I can tell you I have spent more time on the ground doing recon. Using our computer files, and backing it up with actual runs around the course I think that this is by far the best of the three race courses.

I think the winner will finish in just over 2 hours, the average will be around 3 hours and the guys left running will come in around 4 hours. 3 hours may not seem like a long time behind the wheel, but your spotter will be happy its over. After the last rock trail I was pretty much done with stacking rocks and running around on them.

Some pointers;
Our Warn Winch saved us a number of times during our course testing. You can see in the photo's Joey posted that even his sneak peak required us to use the winch. You will want a winch and a good rope.
Warn will be on hand in Hammertown They are a series sponsor, but really the only choice for your winching needs.

Get a spotter thats in good shape. If your idea of training is a 12 pack of beer and a pizza, you might want to reconsider racing to win and be satisfied with a finish. The spotter will be key.

Make sure you UTV is in top shape. To date we have had no failures of the different Kawasaki's we have been using. A couple scratches, and a lost muffler is the extent of damage done from multiple runs around the course.

I am just learning the UTV market, but I am pretty sure the worst you could see would be a belt failure, maybe a cv or shaft if you get out of control in the rocks.

Have fun be safe and know your personal limits. This event is the largest Competitive event on BLM land in California. In light of the Ca200 all eyes will be on us. We need the entire community to come together for this event and make sure the BLM knows we are willing to follow the rules.

Please apply peer pressure to those who are not, and remind them that the future of this and other events swings in the balance. maintain a safe distance from the race course if you are coming out to watch, use common sense, dont drive on a hot race course, don't try and touch the race cars, and please don't drink and drive. Keep your drinking in your camp, or get a ride into hammertown.

We have had to hire an extremely large amount of LEO, and I would hate for your week to end early with a ride to the station for a DUI.

Because I can not keep up with all the sites we have created an email newsletter, you can sign up at the bottom left hand corner of the newsletter. I have inserted a link for a preview.

Please bare with us on information we are running behind due to all the Flaming hoops the BLM wanted us to jump through.

We can still use some help with volunteers for the UTV race manning check points, sweep, pulling up course markers ect, so if you are interested please make yourself known. we have a pretty cool Volunteer program, that gets you a free meal, a raffle, a shirt and a discount on all merchandise so if your interested let us know.

Last I would like to thank Reid and Kawasaki. If any person is to thank for making the UTV race better its Reid for his commitment to this race. without the demo units we could not have made it this great. Reid taught me what they can do with multiple trips out to JV. That is really tells me that Kawasaki truly supports racing.

See you all in February. Its gonna be a wild week.

News from Hammerking Productions Inc.

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
Thats more like KING OF THE HAMMERS! Last year there was a sand hill with barried rocks and they had to climb up it,seemed to easy! I really like the rock crawling and making those machines work. See you guys at Hammer Town...

Hunt

Dec 17, 2010
My brother and I will be running a Rhino in the UTV class on Thursday.

I will also be co-driving for Team Smiley Racing as be won our way into Friday's big show by winning the Badland's Qualifier. We are really excited to be going out to California again after last years disappointing DNF during the big race with Joint Force Racing.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
HAMMERTOWN USA. We need a large UTVUnderground section. This will now be our new annual meetup. Myself and Joey are looking at heading out on the Saturday before. Pick a good spot and then share our location via spot tracker. If you wish to be part of this spot tracker message please email [email protected] or [email protected]. If you have a radio please provide the brand and model so we can pick a channel we can all run on. If you don't have a radio, get with the times and call Rugged Radio's. It will be 2011 by then......... See you in HAMMERTOWN USA.

dezertrebelz

Feb 14, 2010
Tucson AZ
does anyone know how the rules are gonna work, are we all gonna have to have come with race rigs or we gonna have stock cars racing race cars?? i know crowley and i our atleast a 1000lbs or so heavy than stock RZR ??? FUEL CELL NO FUEL CELL, 2 RIDERS OR ONE?? THIS WAS A FUN RACE AND MORE IMPORTANTLY AN AWSOME EVENT FOR DESERT SPORTS AND I HOPE THE TURN OUT IS BETTER THAN LAST YEAR, THANKS TO KINGS FOR NOT GIVING UP ON THE UTVS

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
does anyone know how the rules are gonna work, are we all gonna have to have come with race rigs or we gonna have stock cars racing race cars?? i know crowley and i our atleast a 1000lbs or so heavy than stock RZR ??? FUEL CELL NO FUEL CELL, 2 RIDERS OR ONE?? THIS WAS A FUN RACE AND MORE IMPORTANTLY AN AWSOME EVENT FOR DESERT SPORTS AND I HOPE THE TURN OUT IS BETTER THAN LAST YEAR, THANKS TO KINGS FOR NOT GIVING UP ON THE UTVS
Jon's car weighs in at 1399lbs. with 4 gallons of fuel, but without spare tire, aluminum sides, jack and tools.
Pretty good for a race car with full cage, running beadlocks and heavy tires.
My Prowler likewise, is not very heavy either, yes, more than stock, but less than 1500 dry weight without tools.

Stock or semi-stock UTVs with stock fuel tanks are allowed, but I'm running a fuel cell as are some others.
Check out the rules that Joey has linked to on page one of this thread, it has the rules.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Nicholas,

I think stock fuel cell is still OK. Need roof and nets. You can race solo, but the report from Jeff is this year he would not recommend it - Read winch and push/pull to get over rocks!

Jon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000