Search results

1. badassmav

2020 KOH tonite on espn 2

I was excited to see this in tonight's listings on ESPN 2 at 9 pm PST. 2020 KOH UTV race, followed by the desert invitational TT race. Ive been jonesing for awhile to see some good racing. Tennessee is pretty lame when it comes to the racing scene!
  2. badassmav

Yamaha Yamaha YXZ 1000 Chronicles?

I am curious on how many of you out there have, like me, have purchased the new Yamaha YXZ. The deposit has been paid, and I should be taking delivery in a few short weeks. My mind has been working overtime on how far I will go on the suspension mods. I will most likely be giving it the BAM...
  3. badassmav

No more Space

ABORT. ABORT! Yay! :D Is anybody else glad that today's planned launch of the Orion spacecraft was scrubbed? Is anyone disappointed? Does anybody care? http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/mpcv/index.html#.VICKn8nYF1m The Orion Mission will threaten the serenity of space more than...
  4. badassmav

Polaris 2015 rzr xp4 1000 brakes

Does anybody know the bore diameter on the brake master cylinder on the 2015 Polaris XP4 1000's?
  5. badassmav

Can-Am Max wiring harness

Does anybody know how the Max motor harness stretches back to the engine? I put in another motor and harness from one of our 2 seaters, and the motor harness with that engine is not long enough to reach the ECU under the dash, and the existing wires on the Max running from the front to the...
  6. badassmav

All UTV's CVT clutch performance

I would like to preface this thread by saying that the ones who know me know that I am all about total disclosure, so everyone can achieve better results for their efforts without taking unnecessary time and money away from their family unit. Some appreciate that, and some despise it. If you...
  7. badassmav

baja 500 video

I clicked on the "2 new classes for UTV" link, scrolled down, and was happy to see that the Baja 500 video was out! Yay:D! Then I noticed it was just a link to last years 5oo. Boo:(! We're dying to see this years coverage of the Baja 500! I agree that your site has, hands down, the best...
  8. badassmav

Laboratory: The Monster Mav Chronicles

This is where I designed, built, and maintain our car. It is a humble corner of the facility that we use as a home base for Marcs tour buses. I get a corner that is approximately 700 or 800 sq. ft. The tools that I have at my disposal are some what limited. Aside from a 3' x 10' welding...
  9. badassmav

Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>...
  10. badassmav

History: The Monster Mav Chronicles

I will be using this forum to share with the members and casual viewers, the history and chronology of our race car. A bit of history about the car My brother Rick and I started building the car in February of last year. Around January of 2013, Marc had brought a near new 2013 Maverick 1000 R...
  11. badassmav

blogs

I think it would be cool to have a topic heading that allows members/readers to follow the progress of others who choose to share details of their builds, rides or races, and the efforts they put out to do them. I don't facebook, and I don't insta-whatever you call it. Don't know what tap talk...
  12. badassmav

All UTV's Just before the belt breaks

While pre running, Marc noticed what appeared to be a belt slipping. He stopped, and removed the belt, and this is what he found. When we lose a belt, there is no evidence that a belt ever existed. A wadded up ball of yarn maybe, but no chunks of rubber, or pieces of belt. Just a stringy...
  13. badassmav

Can-Am UTV Changes in 2015: A technical discussion

Has anyone heard word of significant OEM changes in the long travel UTV market for 2015? I'm not talking about paddle shifting 500 cc UTV's, I specifically am interested in what we race in the desert. The pro-sportsman class of UTV racing. We are all waiting to see what develops in the drive...
  14. badassmav

All UTV's Cryo Treatment

Does anyone have experience with cryo-treating their belts? I could swear I read about it in the forum somewhere, but can't find it. Marc spoke w/ the guy at Black Rhino today, and that dude knows his $hit, but he has no experience in treating belts. He said he may be able to, but would have...
  15. badassmav

BAJA 500 thread

Well ladies and gentleman, the Baja 500 is again in our cross hairs. I heard rumor that there will be no summit this race. Yay! The course should be known in a week or two, but for now, let the banter begin!! How many of the Polaris guys out there are confident that this is the race for you...
  16. badassmav

Loose lugnuts

Does any body else out there have a problem with their lug nuts coming loose? We run the stock lug nuts on OMF wheels, which are machined to match the lugnut taper, and we torque the nuts to 78 ft. lbs. After setting the car on the wheels, I drive it for a mile or so, then I re-torque the lugs...
  17. badassmav

All UTV's Boxed vs Tubing A-arms

Well, here we are again. I've got another perfect opportunity to share with you all, the results of good sound design. The attatched images are of our drivers side, lower A-arm and adjoining hardware. On the first lap of the Mint 400 this year, we had a ridiculously hard impact on the...
  18. badassmav

Can-Am Stress crack detection

While inspecting the hubs on our Maverick, I noticed what appeared to be stress cracks propogating from the sharp edge (stress raiser for sure) of the foolishly drilled holes in the center of the hub, used only for the purpose of holding on an aesthetic plastic hub nut cover. Following, is the...
  19. badassmav

Can-Am Body panels

The Maverick is way over-engineered in regards to the number of body panels that it uses, and how they interlock with one another. There are approx. 27 plastic pieces total. 19 in the front clip alone! Can-am now offers a poly carbonate (Lexan) one piece replacement for the front clip, which...
  20. badassmav

All UTV's Alignment

Being a perfectionist, I always perform 4 wheel alignments on our car during the final assembly before each race. I know the coefficient of friction is forgiving in the dirt, and perhaps the time I spend may be in vain, but the Monster Mav always tracks straight and true, and is well mannered...
  21. badassmav

All UTV's Alignment

Since we bent up our car at San Felipe, I found it necessary to perform a 4 wheel alignment of the repaired chassis before racing the Mint this week. Due to the mecca of spherical bearings and rod ends we used in building the car, there is an infinite amount of adjustment. A lot more weight...
  22. badassmav

All UTV's CVT belt life

We're installing a CVT temp gauge. I'm short on time, but will add more details later. Nate from Alba sells the complete installation kit, gauge and probe included. That dude always answers any questions. Frankly and honestly. I always enjoy our visits to his shop. Thanks Nate!
  23. badassmav

All UTV's A ARM REPAIR

We banged up our a arm in the last race, and I thought it might be helpful for some to see the process of how to properly repair a damaged weldment. Note that the arms are 4130 boxed style, but also have a mild steel tubular sub-frame for extra durability. It is this frame that held the arm...
  24. badassmav

2014 race plans

To the pleasure of a few, and the dismay of the masses here in the Underground, MB Motorsports will be campaigning the #1905 Monster Mav in the full SCORE series along with a couple of BITD's premier events, namely the Mint and V2R. To start, we'll be campaigning 'ol shorty, and plan to...
  25. badassmav

2014 San Felipe 250

I was wondering how many of you BITD guys plan on racing at S.F. this year. You guys are the "Meat and Potatoes" of west coast UTV desert racing, and we hope to have the opportunity to share some of our Baja desert w/you all. WHO'S IN?
  26. badassmav

uh oh

xxx
  27. badassmav

Clutch Woes

We are seeking input regarding the clutch in our race Maverick. We would like to hear what setup and or manufacture you have had good results with in extreme conditions. Our car is a fat 2,000 + lbs., and after 4 or 5 races we still are trying to get through a race with out suffering...
  28. badassmav

MB Motorsports at the 2013 Baja 1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YdXYP2MOQ Marc was bummed that he DNF'd the 1000 while he babied the car more than ever before (as per my request). We were the 3rd car through early at RM 78 and started 18 off the line. That's Marcs idea of "Driving miss Daisy" as he called it. Never again...
  29. badassmav

Baja 1000 Lets go the full distance

With all this talk about cutting out part of this years baja 1000 course, marc thought it would be a good idea if the UTV entrants chimed in here before roger makes a unilateral decision. The 1905 entrant of mb motorsports votes that we man up and race the full distance and same course as...
  30. badassmav

Total exposure of our race Maverick

Here is a detailed breakdown of the "Monster Mav". If new comers, and veterans alike can take one useful bit of information from the design challenges that we faced, then my short visit to the underground will have proved to been time well spent. Ask any questions you like. There is no...
  31. badassmav

The Monster Energy/General Tires MB Motorsports Can-am Maverick

In the following 2 months, in preparation for the Baja 1000, we will be going through our race Maverick from the ground up. This will serve as your guide to our car. Ask questions, make suggestions, or just enjoy the show! In the end, Joey D. will do a "build" article that will feature, in a...
  32. badassmav

FLIPPIN CRAZY!

Here's what we've been working on in our off hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GG_fMULcAHI&t=14
  33. badassmav

RELIABILITY IN RENO

We at MB Motorsports have been working diligently over the last 5 weeks or so in preparation for this weeks V2R extravaganza, addressing areas of reliability that concern us. We made adjustments in clutching, steering braking, and unfortunately, SLEEPING (Much less of it)! Was curious if...
  34. badassmav

still at it?

Just curios, who else out there is still slaving away on their ute getting it ready for V2R?
  35. badassmav

PROMO

A bit of coverage from the Rosarito 200, and one of our Freestyle shows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iJvziFkGKlU#at=15
  36. badassmav

CAN YOUR UTE DO THIS?

Hi all. It's old windbag Reid again! I'm like a new parent boasting and blowing. AND what better place than here to do so, where all of my new friends can say, "Oh God, that guy just doesn't shut up! Anyhow ,I Just finished building our new back flipping Maverick this morning. Exoskeleton...
  37. badassmav

Backflip UTV

It's almost time for us to start back flipping one of our 2013 Can-am Mavericks. As you can see, we built a safety cage strong enough to land on its lid from 4 stories high! With the exception of a custom ISP safety seat, a small fuel cell, and a malleable 1026 DOM safety shell (protecting the...
  38. badassmav

pipe diameter

I'm modifying the exhaust system on our race Maverick. I've chosen baffle-style mufflers to help provide a bit of back pressure, but am looking for advice on secondary tube diameter and configuration. The stock head pipes (which I am retaining) are 1.720" i.d. One is estimated at 36" long...
  39. badassmav

Need driveshafts

If anyone out there knows who could take on the task of lengthening the drive shafts off of our race Maverick, please pass on the contact info to me. You would think it would be easy to find a vendor, but all shops I've approached turn down the job due to the metric sized tubing, and...
  40. badassmav

SCORE/BITD Contender

No stones unturned.
  41. badassmav

SCORE/BITD Contender

After a 23 year haitus from fabricating, my brother and I built this Maverick for my cousin in 10 weeks. Watch out in front of you! Hey, look! R&R's back!
  42. badassmav

ready to ramble

i built a race car again. yea! . first one ive built in over 23 years. boy, was i over-confident!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000