Search results

1. acme

Get Ready....

Not a UTV but, the Ecotech powered, CVT driven, #3006 Predator buggy ran the whole way at the B1K with uncovered clutches and has raced so for a number of years. A scheduled clutch change 1/2 way and no issues other than a support dealeo between the primary and secondary broke at RM 80ish. They...
  2. acme

Can-Am Shock Tuning In High Desert or Inland Empire

DC Shock Service Kurt Young dcshockservices.com
  3. acme

Get Ready....

HF Pittsburgh brand box wrenches, 8 in 1 socket wrenches (carried them for years in the buggies), nut drivers, impact sockets, extensions, screwdrivers and allen sockets and a few other hard tools all heave been very good. Used them in 2 chase trucks, 2 jeeps, too many race cars and prerunners...
  4. acme

Baja 500 VW Nerf.....Your thoughts?

^^^^ Get caught, move over... Rabbit and expect to get punished when you get caught again... Do it twice and you should be, and will get punted... and it's your own fault... A bump or nerf should be done with restraint and understanding as sometimes the guy is unaware you caught him. If you get...
  5. acme

Axles wrapped

Ottersberg27 is correct, it keeps rocks from nicking them. One step better is plumbers tape. Thicker material and 1 wrap does it as opposed to 2-3 wraps of electrical tape. FYI make sure you wrap it in the direction the axle rotates otherwise is can unwrap on you...
  6. acme

Why UTV racers get knocked by the other classes...

I love guys like you! Snappy repertoire, quick with calling names and always willing to look the other way and follow the heard. Great spokesperson for your business! I do not consider myself the desert police. Just a now retired racer, who between bikes and cars has done this sport for over...
  7. acme

I'll play... I didn't make the initial post and just reposted a link to sister site RDC on here, with no additional comments. I was just trying to get people to understand, the same as my thread on the unwritten rules. I then responded to a few posts I thought interesting: It's called...
  8. acme

Lots of turds & trolls just like anywhere on the internet, but lots of good info as well, if you dig for it. The issue is we are viewed as one community, whether you are a UTV, Buggy, Truck or are a "Brorunner"; and when you do something stupid, it puts ALL OF US under the microscope. That...
  9. acme

Why not the YXZ. ?

Jeremiahs SF car is becoming very well developed and will be a threat. You guys are lucky Keller is happy racing with Row and Cops and hasn't gotten serious about owning another full on race car. His D-37 Yammie play car with Bill Varnes-Mirage tuned suspension is pretty dialed. If more...
  10. acme

As the instigator of the thread and a parent of a Houston FF/Paramedic who is knee deep in some serious shit, I appreciate the support shown below! FYI, this was posted in the RDC thread As a desert racer who has watched our sport get knocked around for 25+ years I believe we need to learn...
  11. acme

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/v2r-more-to-the-story-or-just-a-richard-cranium.128873/
  12. acme

Desert Racing Rules 101 (Unwritten/Common Sense)

A few more to add to the list with V2R here: 1) Wear your Helmet/HNR as a minimum when testing 2) Don't test or "Ricky Race" the access road in Barstow, it is an actual maintained road that a lot of douchebags have jacked up by testing on it. Drove by the other day and saw a UTV team running it...
  13. acme

New build question

Sorry: PPT=Powder Paint... in text mode. LOL I like the idea or Steel It on the chassis and even more so on the suspension parts since most seasoned desert racers crack check/inspect those parts frequently and I understand you can mag or spray crack check them w/Steel It and cracks will...
  14. acme

New build question

We have owned a number of PPT, painted and raw chassis over the years and I have 4 friends who have used Steel It on chassis and I would Steel or paint but never PPT a chassis. Even if you use Steel It touch up is way easier than trying to grind, weld and blend in PPT. And PPT hides cracks way...
  15. acme

Jim: Totally agree that desert racing is different animal to an extent, but passing is passing and take sports car racing where multiple classes are on the course at the same time: Your always catch slower cars and have to deal with traffic. And if it's not a lap race and you are catching them...
  16. acme

Uno mas "Guideline" or "Advice" a friend reminded me this weekend: Don't buy the cheapest safety equipment so you can buy other shit for the car... Buy a good NOMEX multi layer suit, a good HNR and Helmet as well as driving shoes and gloves. Don't cut corners on safety gear. Listen to what ART...
  17. acme

In EVERY other form of motorsports you are taught to hold your line and let the fast guy pass you and its his job to make a safe pass. NASCAR to sprint cars, road race to oval. Yes, Desert Racing is a little different but the same concept applies. As a driver you accept the risk of racing and...
  18. acme

1) The car you catch needs to be aware that you are there which is a catch 22 as you never nudge an 11 car: PERIOD! PS until you've walked in their shoes do not judge them: My wife and a number of friends raced/race very successfully in Class 11 and I was her co-driver; they are hard to see...
  19. acme

Imo if a guy rabbits after you give him legit chances, you can educate him of his indiscretion w/o damaging him if you know what you are doing. But I agree, to smack a lower class car because you are frustrated is stupid. But never an 11... We were leading Parker or very close on time when TSCO...
  20. acme

Yes, Stuck stubs are still being used by bikes and I think in Parker '12 or 14 we still got one in our packet from BITD. It was to simply illustrate how far technology and comms has come.
  21. acme

Jim: You guys are very successful, have a solid program, are true competitors, bulid/fab winning cars and I acknowledge that fact! However... A smaller bumper WILL cause more damage than a large flat one. It's a fact that a 10-12" square with corners WILL get in places a larger/flatter bumper...
  22. acme

As I mentioned I have no issue with cutting around and going up an obstacle. I do think it's a BS move to cut around the line and push back in to get a better spot. I know there are certain "Godlike" qualities some of you have (or believe you do) and it's up to you how you want to be viewed; but...
  23. acme

Jim: I'll add these little square bumpers are only designed to do damage and actually can lock into or get into small spaces at components easier than a wider curved flatter tube the width of say a hood.
  24. acme

Rusty: IMHO and most peoples; if you go in the dirt only and with the intent to cut back in 200' up into the same line, it's a douche bag move. Just as it is if a dilhole pulls out of the lane in bumper to bumper traffic onto the shoulder for 200' and then forces his way back in. Do what you...
  25. acme

Added a few more I missed as this is a living document. Those with knowledge add your own in hopes we can create a new generation of savvy racers and never have another CA 200 incident... Having watched the UTV vs 11 deal unfold and reading comments I figured I'd toss a few unwritten...
  26. acme

Maverick XDS Race Clutching

My wife and a friend will be racing a '14 Maverick XDS in some local desert races not BITD so no worries for the big time racers! Knowing belts will be an issue: Who's got the hot clutch set up for the Mav's? I know it's all top secret, but when we had the RZR we bought Sparks prepared primary...
  27. acme

Who Here Has Actually Run the Baja 1000 in a UTV?

tRentals are not cheap and can get real pricey if you wad one up. Look up Pete at Baja Racing Adventures, TrophyLite does rentals, Wide Open which is owner by Roger Norman/SCORE, and I think VORE also does rentals in Baja. Additional support: Baja Pits is great, we used Mag 7 as they provide...
  28. acme

Who Here Has Actually Run the Baja 1000 in a UTV?

If you want to race Baja, race Baja! I know a number of beginners who mutteled through it and finished but as Mr Carver said: It's a lot more effort than some other racing, however the reward is sweeter. Baja racing presents some unique challenges that you'll never expect and can't replicate...
  29. acme

Jeremiah Staggs takes the win at M.O.R.E Sierra LED 250

Congrats to Jeremiah and the SF guys on a great race! Next time you need to get the MORE bonus $1k for beating the swingers!
  30. acme

M.O.R.E has more to offer.

Right now I believe they have a pro and sportsman class 1000CC and use the standard buggy safety rules in effect. They are open to conversations and Cody has been very communicative in wanting to grow the UTV class. He has bonus money and is open to dialog with racers. He can be reached at...
  31. acme

If you ask any true desert racer, he really wants to race in the Baja 1000 or 500. Nowadays due to fashion the Mint has become an "event" and V2R is quite a challenge, but one I've never been personally interested in. Having raced Primm since the 80's, I don't get the hoopla of the Mint and when...
  32. acme

Not downing BITD at all, Casey runs great events. As for comp we have chased points and won races and I get it. IMHO I think it's a great big world out there and people get too hung up on following the herd and miss a lot of great opportunities to race different places... It'll be good for the...
  33. acme

Great, now people will show up and spoil everything... :mad: Great write up!!! I know the UTV crowd ain't into history but MORE was started by long time 9 car racer Jim Clement at the same time the infamous MDR started. He had an idea to put on races for racers and by racers. The cool kids and...
  34. acme

MORE's Sierra LED 250 night race, who's coming??

Been running MORE since the second race Jim put on way back when and it's come a long way. Having raced BITD, SCORE and Record the last few years I was hesitant to come back to Barstow as we'd been around the place so many times over the years racing it was like watching a toilet flush. Gema...
  35. acme

Thanks Coco. She said the car was perfect and then it wasn't... I was looking forward to getting back in the seat and playing. A little more tweaking and that Yammie is going to be a true contender. Jeremiah can drive and he showed awesome patience and restraint by not overdriving it out there...
  36. acme

Congrats Mr Staggs on the win! Gema said you were hauling tail and the car looked great when we saw you. Hopefully one day I'll get to race ours and we can play;). Thanks for the clutch tool, get it back to you this week. Thanks to the guys at Suspended Fab for a great car! Sparks Racing for...
  37. acme

3 entered and 1 more supposedly showing. Great opportunity to race in Barstow on a course...
  38. acme

XP1000/4 Starter issue

Jim: Everything is always for sale with me, ask my buddies... We have another racing opp back in buggies and we only want to race a few races a year. Races that we want to do and a have a few few on the bucket list and I think down deep we are buggy folk. We love Parker, 500/SF 250, RECORD...
  39. acme

XP1000/4 Starter issue

Thanks Nate! We heard that same diagnoses from another source as well. Parts and puller in route. Went to load car in trailer for the MORE race and bingo. Better at home than in Barstow. I'm pretty sure it's the ONLY thing on the car that wasn't touched, massaged or rebuilt so now it's totally...
  40. acme

XP1000/4 Starter issue

Started car, pulled it on the trailer. Went to start it to pull it off the trailer: Starter spins but does not spin motor over or engage? Tried putting it in gear and rocking it etc, nothing - just spins... Battery charged etc... New to UTV's, any ideas or directions appreciated!
  41. acme

Racing in danger again...

Land use issues have been a problem for the race community and since the MDR incident we've been under the microscope. Wayne the poster, is a good guy that put himself on the line for the sport for a long time. We need some new blood interested in keeping it going and racing BITD or Baja won't...
  42. acme

One in the drawing and Staggs and one other planning to show. Any other cars coming??? Perkins? Bueller? Bueller???
  43. acme

Registration Now Open for Baja Mexico's Mike's Peak Hill Climb Challenge October 13-16

A stupid fast buggy racer friend is considering bringing his YXZ to the event, if so my money'd be on him...
  44. acme

Race Ready Desert Cars for sale.

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=utvrace&md=details&id=110005
  45. acme

2015 Jimco/Polaris XP4 1000 Race Car For Sale

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=utvrace&md=details&id=110005
  46. acme

///AIRDAM CLUTCHES is heading out west again!

Adam: We want to order that primary we were discussing. Please give me a call, left you a message. Tks!
  47. acme

Adam: Please give us a call on the primary we were discussing when we got disconnected. Left a...

Adam: Please give us a call on the primary we were discussing when we got disconnected. Left a message. Tks, Jeff
  48. acme

WTB Pumper helmet

Pyrotech is a good helmet, the wife chose that as her new helmet and likes it better than her old HJC. Check Race-Dezert Classifieds you see a lot of old outdated Snell stuff on there and Craigslist if you're willing to search around. Also look for announcements on the Leduc swap-meet as we have...
  49. acme

Caliente 250

We were signed up but a work meeting schedule conflict got in the way. SNORE is awesome and my last Caliente years ago was a great race, kind of like Baja with the terrain... Bummed we can't make this one! Considered Punta Banda and have emailed the promoter twice to see if it's GPS only and...
  50. acme

Baja/Race Karma...

Last two and I tap: 1) Why do the UTV guys worry so much about beating the other classes? Is there a bonus? Get over it and worry about your own class. If someone in my class pulled a quickie in front of me and got an advantage via a rookie move I would be very aggravated. If I was in a faster...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000