Search results

1. M

The Mad Viking Project

The Wolverine will certainly be a nice platform for this swap, perhaps you can take it to the next level, going much further than I intend to. The nice thing with the Yami snow engines (as I'm sure you know) is the extremely large variety of clutch and clutch tuning options. Just about any...
  2. M

Can-Am Electric/Hydraulic steering concept

Why not try to increase the power of the electric system? Perhaps the electric system from a car... there are many that could potentially work. In order to get speed on my machine, I'm using Yamaha ATV and snowmobile EPS parts... the steering will have a bit less than a 180 degree sweep. The...
  3. M

The Mad Viking Project

Updates coming...
  4. M

walker evans velocity/ fox internal bypass/king internal bypass/elka 2.5

The King IBP is much like the Walker Evans with the needle, but has a major difference. With the King, the bypassed oil has its own secondary piston with valve stacks, which are independently tunable. Whereas the bypass on the WE is simply a bleed port that the needle slowly closes off (someone...
  5. M

The Mad Viking Project

Here's an idea that's continues mulling around in my head, some input on it will be great. As mentioned in the first post, the Vector power steering uses the same motor/actuator assembly as the Grizzly Quad, the assist curve in the steering ECU is the only difference. If this was fit up to the...
  6. M

The Mad Viking Project

It's still on, just slow moving due to other projects. The YXZ 1000R introduction has fanned the flames..... The YXM 1049 will live! FWIW, the Wolverine chassis is pretty much a Viking. The largest differences are the narrower body, DOHC engine, and longer rear A-arms for less scrub. The front...
  7. M

Yamaha Yamaha YXZ 1000 Chronicles?

Transmission gear ratios 1st- 2.059 2nd- 1.545 3rd- 1.192 4th- .962 5th- .806 Transmission output reduction. 1.660 Transmission input reduction 1.864 Axle ratio 3.666
  8. M

10 THINGS THE DEALER WON’’T TELL YOU ABOUT YAMAHA’S YXZ1000R - Dirt Wheels Magazine

Good info, thanks for posting it. The 1049 EFI Vector and Viper/Nytro long block engines are very close... the largest difference is the camshaft profile. While the Turbo kit sounds fun... dropping a normally aspirated 150hp 1049cc will be fun, too... and likely require a reprogramming of the...
  9. M

Yamaha has great manuals, and the factory book should have all the specs for the transmission, and probably some good diagrams, too. The unit is beginning to look very impressive, it even appears to not only be pressure fed, but also has an oil spray bar directing lube directly onto the gears...
  10. M

Oh, and by R1, I'm assuming you are referring to the YXZ 1000R? Or the engine?
  11. M

Happy to help here, and thanks for the welcome. I've playing with this engine since 2005. There is no external pump in this setup. The pump is inside the engine, though relatively easily accessible by removing the oil pan. Here's the layout, which you are likely familiar with, but I'll put it...
  12. M

New Yamaha?

Oh, yes, they sound good.... corner to corner, and at 100mph across a snow covered lake.
  13. M

Yes please. I'll likely add one to the stable in a year or so. My early thoughts, if you want them? I believe the gear box and clutch have an oil pump and are pressure fed lube. An oil to air cooler and filter sound like a no brainer to me. The engine appears to be version of the Genesis...
  14. M

New Yamaha?

I find the transmission design promising. It's separate from the engine, so not only can the lube be tailored for better clutch operation, it won't have engine contaminants nor engine HEAT, it will be far more effective. Heat is the big killer here... the clutch is likely fed lube directly from...
  15. M

New Yamaha?

That engine... oh that triple engine... I've been driving various versions on the snow since 2005. Shouldn't be difficult to swap in the 1049cc Nytro engine. It'll push close to 150hp fairly easily in the sleds.
  16. M

All UTV's CVT clutch performance

I still have yet to locate my copy, but IMO you will be well served by one. Ski Doo has many various 4 stroke snowmobiles. They did use the V twin some years ago, now they use inline twins and triples... It is surprising (or maybe not) that the engineer did not discuss those clutches with...
  17. M

I have to dig up my copy and check, it is not on the shelf where it should be.
  18. M

A great book... http://www.aaenperformance.com/handbooks.asp
  19. M

What are your UTV pet-peeves?

One of my largest is some of the seat designs.... specifically, the lack of proper head and neck support, though there are likely more issues with these seats. The head rests are often to low and/or poorly supported. During crashes and rollovers, it allows the head to move in, well, bad ways...
  20. M

All UTV's What do you get when you cross.....

Stock, the Suzuki engine produces 177hp. Being turbo, it is easy to turn up the boost... but I'm sure there's more to it when pushing 300. The 4 stroke sled engines tend to be very reliable, even when pushing significantly higher numbers than stock. Snowmobiles can handle a lot of power as...
  21. M

The Mad Viking Project

I'm not selling those stock parts just yet, but I'll let you know when the time comes. Here's a picture of the rear King IBP Shocks being fit. The upper rear mount had to be moved upward almost 3" to accommodate the length of the new dampers, Yamaha left plenty of room. Measurements and...
  22. M

Why did you pick that truck?

Budget and load to be towed?
  23. M

Yamaha Resurrected Rhino build

Nice to see these builds still going on. :cool: If you want to add additional cooling to your belt case, let me know. There's a potentially good combination using Viking and Grizzly parts.
  24. M

CT Racing Maverick Build

Nice. More pics please.
  25. M

Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

I did some research on the Can Am belts. The triangle w/ 3 stars imprinted on them is exciting to see... that is the mark of the manufacturer, Mitsuboshi, not to be confused with Mitsubishi. Mitsuboshi builds the best belts on the planet (more on that in a second) However, that doesn't mean your...
  26. M

If you are allowed to share, what belt brand/part number are you running?
  27. M

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet-gmc-diesel-tech-articles/16611-duramax-air-filter-testing.html
  28. M

Yes, thanks. I utilize some of their products on various builds around here. Donaldson produces many great products, and I'm glad to see folks using these real filters that actually do what they are intended to - effectively filter air. I have a good filter test link, if you are interested (?)...
  29. M

apples to ? FYI

It's mostly stock... save for replacing the entire suspension. :p Congrats on finishing!
  30. M

Donaldson Radial Seal?
  31. M

The Mad Viking Project

Redline buggy with Nytro engine swap. :cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZs6Mn7_F2A
  32. M

All UTV's What do you get when you cross.....

I'm guessing it has the Suzuki turbo engine? I can see the intercooler...
  33. M

The Mad Viking Project

While Yamaha has a very well designed and strong semi floating hub assembly (the nut on the end is an M24 x 1.5), I've seen enough of of you guys lose wheels to have me contemplate building a full floating system. A little searching turned up some appropriately sized parts, which also happen to...
  34. M

The Mad Viking Project

The red plastic has been replaced by the SE matte black. Retail on all four pieces is a whopping $168.
  35. M

The Mad Viking Project

I went with King's stock blue colors... there are more important places to spend money on this project.
  36. M

NEW Yamaha Sport Side X Side?

It will have a 1049cc Nytro engine very soon.
  37. M

NEW Yamaha Sport Side X Side?

I've got your Yamaha sport machine right here. :D
  38. M

John Deere ibleedblue's rsx 850i

Well, the stock 76hp cams from the Aprilia 850 will only set you back $184... if you ever get to that point. I'm sure there's more to the extra power than just cams... higher compression, maybe different cylinder heads, intake.
  39. M

I wonder if it is the Aprilia cams? A quick search turned them up for $184 for the set. Sorry, getting ahead of things here! :D
  40. M

Did you find factory cams, or is some one offering them? It appears that the Aprilia 850 SRV scooter engine may be the same? It produces 76hp in factory trim.
  41. M

Great project. Have you checked into any of the other Piaggio 850 V twin engine variants for more hp goodies?
  42. M

Can-Am UTV Changes in 2015: A technical discussion

I don't have any concrete knowledge to share about future transmission tech. that will make its way into the UTVs. Only what we have been discussing... Properly designed and sized air flow w/ management. The constant tension belts with centrifugal clutch are also a good idea... the clutch just...
  43. M

Polaris polaris rzr front differential output hub

Perhaps a freeze plug from an engine could be found in the appropriate size?
  44. M

What's next?

Have a look at Honda's other products to see where the dual clutch transmission is used... then maybe we can gather some ideas on future UTV machines. 700 scooter, twin cylinder w/ 50 hp and 6 speed dual clutch... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NC700D_Integra 1200 Motorcycle, V4 w/...
  45. M

UTV thing..

I'm interested in your choice of differentials. I build and deal with Toyotas much of the time, and I've been considering the smaller Toyota 6.7 inchers instead of the 7.5 for my 4WD UTV project. This choice is mainly due to weight, especially rotating. I recently found a really sweet all...
  46. M

All UTV's CVT belt life

It's likely a 500cc version of the 420 Rancher, which uses a dual clutch system to shift it's 5 speeds.... just like many full sized autos. Cool stuff.
  47. M

All UTV's CVT belt life

IMO, the swiss cheese housing has to go. Not only is preheated air the only source, but the air is completely unmanaged. The secondary clutch needs to become an appropriate fan and intake. It's large... and as the clutch shifts out it will move some serious air.
  48. M

The Mad Viking Project

I used an 8" IBP that was on the shelf here for these mock up shots... Perhaps I should change the order to have the shocks done entirely in black to help with the sleeper look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000