John Deere RSX 850i clutch issues

Nike

May 19, 2014
Looking for some help from those of you that know a little about clutching.

There seems to be a reoccurring issue with the RSX clutch that keeps it from releasing completely at idle therefore making it very difficult to shift gears once warmed up. My machine w 13hrs is currently in the shop for this issue as well as many other members of gatorforums.net have experienced this.

Is there a company making a replacement clutch for this machine or a common fix available? Upgraded unit from team, airdam etc? I love my gator but don't want to have to return it to the dealer every few months for a clutch change.

As stated earlier, I'm not very clutch savy so please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you!
Frank

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
Sounds like a possible issue with the One-way bearing. IIRC the RSX has a funky clutch cover setup. Are you possibly getting the clutch wet or extremely dirty on a common basis?

Nate
Alba Racing

Nike

May 19, 2014
Thanks for the response Nate!

The RSX does have a different setup than most manufactures regarding the intake and exhaust of the clutch setup. Although I have been through some water, I have always been cautious regarding the height of the vents in relation to my water levels. I have also plugged the vents during my washing of the machine. The machine has 13hrs and has been out roughly 4-5 times so far although it was very dusty on its last ride and there was no way to keep the machine from taking on dust due to the intake locations. I'm assuming those that are riding in the dunes and desert are having these issues as well?

Thanks for your time.
Frank

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
Frank, doesn't the RSX have a funky cover though that allows the driveshaft to go through it? I was thinking the design was maybe allowing excessive dirt/water into the housing effecting the bearing.

I would pull the cover, remove the belt, and see if you can free spin the bearing at the center of the Primary clutch. Also look carefully at how much of the center shaft is visible on the primary clutch. It should be pretty close to flush with the cover.

Nate
Alba Racing

toddsack

Sep 8, 2020
Nate from Alba i have a gator 860i im going to put a EPI kit in my clutches do you have any idea where i could find a clutch repair kit

Thanks
todd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000